New knot to be issued in 2008

I just read on George Crowl's website that National approved (in principal) a new knot award for Doctor of Commissioner Science. There is no design yet. It will be issued sometime in 2008. That will be a rare one. I only know of two scouters that have earned it in our district.

I thought I heard or read somewhere that there was also to be an award for unit trainer, something along the lines as the Pack Trainer?

• 4 weeks later...

I have not heard anything on a Doctorate of Commissioner Science knot from National. I know several councils have designed their own knot or use a special CSP for that distinction. Our Council and two adjoining Councils that host the College of Commissioner Science with ours issue a special Arrowhead for those who complete the entire Doctorate course.

The information on the Pack Trainer award and knot can be found below:

http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/resources/CSLeaderRecAwards.aspx

I read it on George Crowl's site. The link is below.

It has only been approved in principle by the national office, no design or date of issue has been finalized. I think this would be a rare one, but to those commissioners who persevere and are dedicated to their positions and the duties it requires, it is a justifiable

award.

http://www.crowl.org/George/History/IllustratedHistoryofKnotEvolutionPart2.doc

OK, based on the information supplied in the link, and assuming that the requirements are approved as proposed, this award is only a slight variation on the Distinguished Commissioner Service Award.

The emphasis appears to be on advanced training with the only performance benchmarks being to complete requirements for the Commissioner's Key, presumably at the Commissioner level the Scouter is registered at.

The Distinguished Commissioner Service Award at least had you providing support and service to the units, even taking into account some people's opinions on the Quality Unit awards and rechartering numbers. The new award seems to reward you for attending 3-4 annual training sessions and writing a nice paper.(This message has been edited by jmwalston)