HIGH cost of official BSA uniform

I wonder why a 3-star general with dignitaries in his office doesn't wear the same uniform that a PFC does in the field?

I'm also thinking the blazer and dress pants might in fact cost more than uniform pants and a tan shirt.

I do believe that the uniform for SM's and adults has/was traditionally been different than that of the boys.

Stosh

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like our Professional Scouters are experimenting with uniform options like other WOSM's...Canada and UK come to mind.

Canada

http://www.scouts.ca/inside.asp?cmPageID=365

UK (probably better links out there)

http://www.scoutshops.com/

Prep school or business casual? Well at least their scouts are wearing a neckerchief (unless they are wearing a tie). Less expensive, less sewing/gluing of patches too. (Patches go on sash). Hmmm ...wonder if it's helping?

The cost of a uniform isn't a barrier to joining.

Get mom or dad to go to ebay, mayber put down the cigarrettes and beer, stop having lunches out, get rid of the game boy and play station and get a uniform, maybe spend time with junior at scouts.

Imitation 'look alike' uniform from Walmart????? C'mon, see above. Look alike uniform never look alike, you aren't fooling anybody.

Ya'll have fun.

Gonzo

So since the BSA uniform is optional, a troop could go ahead and buy shirts, pants, etc. from, let's say, Wal-Mart, and uniform themselves this way.

Why not?

Strike a deal with your local Army-Navy shop and buy a complete kit at the price of one BSA shirt.

best regards,

Volker

For a Scout to advance past 1st Class, merit badges are required. A uniform isn't. And doesn't uniform mean the same? So if an entire Troop decided to go to Wal*Mart & buy a bunch of tan shirts & olive pants that match, wouldn't that be their uniform?

@FScouter:

I've heard of the Patrol Method, but could you please explain the term "Uniform Method" to me?

If a troop is dressed in Wal-Mart tan shirts and green pants, it very well is a uniform. It is not the BSA label which makes a uniform, but the standardized wear of the same type of clothing within one troop. That way even a pink bathing suit worn by all members of a troop could be their uniform.

Plus if BSA leaves the uniform as optional, a self-styled uniform from Wal-Mart doesn't distance a troop more from BSA than a troop which chooses not to wear a uniform at all.

best regards,

Volker

Uniforming is one of the eight methods of Scouting, at least over here.

Patrol

Adult example

Advancement

Uniform

Ideals

Personal Growth

Leadership Development

The uniform serves the same purpose as uniforms everywhere. It allows a group to be identified as a group and also provides a common bond for the members of that group. Gang colors. Wearing caps backwards. $2,000 suits with Countess Mara ties. All examples of uniforms.

If nearly every Boy Scout in the country is wearing the BSA uniform and your troop goes out and creates their own uniform, it would serve many of the purposes of the uniform method BUT the boys wouldn't be identified as part of BSA. So when they went to camporees or Philmont or summer camp, they would likely feel out of place.

The BSA uniform is expensive. I have two official shirts, two pair of official pants, and one pair of official shorts. I even have two pairs of official SOCKS! I have two leader neckerschiefs that I always wear. You might say I have two complete "full" uniforms and I'm very pleased to wear them at every opportunity.

That said, I did not obtain the above items overnight and my pants and shorts were purchased "used". Only one of my shirts I purchased brand-new.

I refuse to pay $45-50 for below-average quality pants. $20 is more like it.

Slouchhat I think there may be some confusion as to what is and is not optional, and also as to what most units do in reality.

The BSA does not require members to own a uniform. However, my understanding is that packs and troops are also not supposed to modify the official BSA uniform (say, wear the official shirt with alternate pants or something like that). The idea is either wear the whole uniform or don't pretend to wear the uniform at all. But troops can choose to customize neckerchiefs and hats for their whole unit. (note, rules for crews are a little different)

In reality, most cub packs and many troops only wear part of the uniform (typically shirts only, or shirts & belts only). Some try to get all their members to choose something similar for their non-uniform items (like olive pants from wal-mart, etc.) but many don't go that far and are just happy to have all the boys wearing the BSA shirt with whatever pants. Of course this upsets uniform purists, perhaps even for good reason, but it is pretty common none the less. A few units are really full-uniform right down to the belt and socks (my son's troop, for example). But even the minimalists in terms of BSA uniforming tend to have the BSA shirt in common.

What you are proposing - that a troop eschew the official uniform in its entirety - seems like it might actually fit better with the notion of "wear the whole uniform or don't wear it at all." However, a unit that chose your approach here in the states would stick out like a sore thumb at scouting events, even worse than those units who wear only the official shirts do.

Lisabob,

so if I understand you correctly, most troops don't wear a real uniform anyway as they are just wearing bits and pieces of the official uniform.

There is confusion whether "optional" means "full uniform" or "no uniform at all".

In my book "bits and pieces" is just like "no uniform at all".

However, a troop where everybody is wearing, let's say, brown BDUs, is wearing a uniform as everybody is wearing the same type and colour of garment.

best regards,

Volker