One Piece Unit Numeral Patch

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I find it interesting that the red and white unit numerals originated with the Boy Scouts, and now everybody BUT Boy Scouts wears them. So much for tradition..."

HA!!!

I totally forgot that!

Kind of wish some crew would create brown on green number to wear (like the old pre-1955 numbers Explorers wore).

• 6 months later...

I am glad to assist anyone with the unit number design they want. You can see unit patches I've designed by visiting

http://www.sageventure.com/store/blanket.html

Click any small image to see my drawing and the actual patch.

Of course, I am always glad to do any patch. I do this as a hobby, not as a business so prices are good and quality is great!

Yours in Scouting,

Craig Murray

the7hiker,

Are you "authorized" as a vendor/supplier by BSA? If not, then you run the risk of being visited by the BSA legal team for using their intellectual property (logos, etc.).

You should have no problem with items that Supply Division does not furnish AND that does not use BSA images (such as the fleur-de-lis logo, Venturing logo, etc.). For example, custom patches for specific events should be OK as long as they do not include anything that identifies it as BSA.

Really, people, the Supply Division's patch prices are not unreasonable.

oldsm is right National Supply's block numbers are a very good value in more than 1 way. And I'm not saying this because I work for Supply.

2 digits blocks are $1.99 each, for 2 individual numbers it's $2.40

3 digit blocks are $2.99 each, for 3 individual numbers it's $3.60

4 digit blocks are $3.99 each, for 4 individual number it's $4.80

Veteran bars can also be inserted for an additional amount, about a $1.50 I think.

Blocks are SO much EASIER to sew on too. I've done it both ways and I'll wait for the Pack to get its order every time.

• 8 months later...

I would much prefer to support a Scouter in the US than a China-based, "sweat-shop" that is authorized by BSA National Supply to make Troop numbers.

I dislike the use of BSA outsourcing on uniforms and related items to China in order to turn BSA supply into a "profit-center" for the BSA.

What happened to: "On my honor, I will do my best, to my duty, for God and my country."?

We would be better of supporting US-based, small business operations as opposed to China-based, sweat-shops.

Last year we contracted with Craig Murray to design a wonderful patch for us with our troop numerals and the name of our City. The price was great and the time it took was reasonable. And I like knowing that these were made in the U.S.A.

• 4 months later...

Sure, you can order a "custom unit number" in a silly shape, or with extra words on it - but why not just order "the real thing"? That is, a one piece unit number with veteran bar included. It's cheap and easy.

You either go to your local Scout Shop, and fill out an order form, or you call 1-800-323-0732 Ext. 488. In either case, you ask for "2-digit unit number with Veteran bar, item no. 10412." They are $3.49 each, with a minimum of 12.

(That's the item number and cost for a two digit pack number, in red, with a veteran unit bar. Three digit numbers or green-and-tan ones are probably a different item number with a slightly different price)

I visited Craig's web site, and to be honest I was stunned and saddened by the stuff I saw there. Every unit number on there is, well, wrong. His "custom unit numbers" include the town name... they include the state shape... they include nicknames like "CRAZY EIGHTS"... they have a red and white arc reminiscent of the patches of the 1970s - _none of this_ is OK according to the insignia guide.

The word "uniform" means "the same," and the bootleg "custom unit number" patches Craig is selling are anything but. Evidently that doesn't bother Craig or his customers, but it sure seems wrong to me. I'm sorry to be a downer (after all, delivering a good quality fun program to the boys is far more important than wearing the right patches) but I just hate to see entire units mucking up their uniforms with what I can only call "bling."

You're from Wilton, Connecticut? Well lah-dee-dah, good for you. Your unit has been around since 1953? Congrats. But could you please explain to me why your troop is "too good" to follow the uniform manual, "too special" to make do with a 50 year veteran bar, or "too historic" to stoop to wearing your council strip and a couple of digits?

Is it because the troop on the other side of town has a fancy custom troop patch? If theirs says "TROOP 99, SINCE 1911, THE BEST OF THE BESTEST," does that mean yours needs to be "more custom" in order to prove your troop is as "special" as theirs?

Sax,

And I thought I was a uniform policeman ;)

Seriously though why do some units wear repro red and white town and state strips? Easy tradition. Now one thing about IGs, they only deal with CURRENT (caps for emphasis) insignia, not older ones.

Give you an example. I have a patch from back in the day that I can wear on my jac shirt's right pocket. But guess what, if you look in the IG, you won't find it b/c it is no longer made.

As for names like "Crazy Eights," some old units may have names from way back in the day, and they are better known by those names than the number. the Koshare group is one example.

As for the Venturing side of things, crews may design a "crew patch" to wear in place of the Venturing BSA patch. They got this from Sea Scouts, as the Sea Scouts wear ship's patches instead of numbers, at least officially but Supply still sells the numbers. The crew my CO has has an awesome patch: has the unit number in 4" numbers "shadowed" with scenes from activities they did their first year on it.

And as for Sea Scouts, b/c of it's history, you still have a bunch of folks in "piratical outfits" or ignoring current regs and keepign the 'Bugs" on the covers and unit numbers on their sleeves.

SaxTeacher,

You are correct is saying uniforming is important but making scouts feel special is even more important. I was a Scoutmaster for 10 years during the 1990s. We had a special neckerchief and we wore a green beret. We always got complements and that gave our troop pride. To be honest, we were never told we were not incompliance with uniform policy.

Units that want a special unit number patch are doing so because they want to show price. If you are focused on uniforming standards (which is good) but not on your scouts (which is not good) then I ask if you value your scouts?

I strongly feel that doing whatever possible to create a troop with pride should be on the most important thing. And if that means being a little different, then that is what should be.

Yours in Scouting,

SageVenture

SaxTeacher:

Your recent posting in this thread caught my attention and i feel compelled to address a number of the points that you raised.

"Sure, you can order a "custom unit number" in a silly shape, or with extra words on it - but why not just order "the real thing"? That is, a one piece unit number with veteran bar included. It's cheap and easy."

> The patches that I ordered from an alternative source cost significantly LESS than

> BSA National Supply. I personally resent that BSA treat its members as a "profit

> center". In addition my custom unit patches were made in the USA by a fellow Scouter.

"I visited Craig's web site, and to be honest I was stunned and saddened by the stuff I saw there. Every unit number on there is, well, wrong. His "custom unit numbers" include the town name... they include the state shape..."

> "Wrong"? My National Jamboree contingent from the Connecticut Yankee Council as well

> as other CT contingents have had unit numbers in the shape of the state of CT. Prior

> to 2010, white numbers on a red background were used. For 2010, green numbers on a

> khaki background were used. I have seen similar state unit patches for other square

> states like Pennsylvania and Colorado. No one from BSA national ever said these

> patches were "wrong".

"The word "uniform" means "the same," and the bootleg "custom unit number" patches Craig is selling are anything but. Evidently that doesn't bother Craig or his customers, but it sure seems wrong to me. I'm sorry to be a downer (after all, delivering a good quality fun program to the boys is far more important than wearing the right patches) but I just hate to see entire units mucking up their uniforms with what I can only call "bling.""

> Many Troops have "custom", non-BSA National supply, hats and neckerchiefs, my Troop

> included. We followed the BSA National brand guidelines in design and manufacture.

> No one in my Troop or Council has called these custom items "bling".

"You're from Wilton, Connecticut? Well lah-dee-dah, good for you."

> Yes, I am proud that my Troop is from Wilton, CT. Unfortunately, we lost community

> strips from our uniform about 25 years ago. As councils merge, it is common to have

> Troops with the same unit number in the same council. Having our town name in our

> Unit Number is a source of pride for our Scouts and leaders. "Unit Pride" is an

> important aspect of a strong Troop program.

> Finally, I have worked with Craig on the development of our custom unit number.

> I have also gotten to know Craig and his background in and dedication to the Scouting

> program. In my opinion, Craig has a great eye for design and helped our Troop design

> and produce an attractive and special unit patch.