Semi Custom Patches

".. the fleur de lis is not and never has been a registered trademark, its origin goes back to early French history."

A drawing of a mouse is not a trademark either, unless the drawing is of Mickey Mouse. Similarly,

the distinctive BSA red, white, and blue fleur de lis used in conjuction with Scouting is a registered trademark of BSA.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah, in general, trademark law is another area which has run completely amok. Too many congresscritters getting bought, I'm afraid.

It is disappointin' to see da BSA jumping on this particular bandwagon of legal abuse.

Beavah

Once he adds text that connects the fluer-de-lis with BSA scouting, words such as Cub Scout Pack,and others, it no longer becomes ageneric symbol, it becomes the protected emblem of the BSA and the manufacturer would need to be a licensed vendor.

Horse puckey!

The fleur-de-lis is not trademarked! Never has been! Neither are the words pack, troop, klondike, pinewood, etc!

It's great if BSA has decided to issue a blanket waiver for shops within the council--but that info needs to be pushed to units so they understand what they can and cannot do. Of course, I'm confident that 9 out of 10 (or maybe 99 out of 100) units know nothing about this and have their T-Shirts with BSA logos made at the local shirt shop with no license fee paid, because the info about the restriction wasn't really pushed down to the local units, either.

I am interested in a pointer to any official blanket-waiver info. If it is BSA policy, I would like the waiver to be prominently displayed on the bsalicensing.org homepage and in the FAQ.

My local shop informed me about the problem. He had read an article about non-profit trademarks in a trade publication. It was mostly about the Red Cross but mentioned BSA, etc. Neither I nor my Council was aware of the issue.

GW...

OK...

A fool and his money are soon elected. ...Will Rogers

About all I can say for the United States Senate is that it opens with a prayer and closes with an investigation. ...Will Rogers

Ancient Rome declined because it had a Senate, now what's going to happen to us with both a House and a Senate? ...Will Rogers

Everything is changing. People are taking their comedians seriously and the politicians as a joke. ...Will Rogers

It's easy being a humorist when you've got the whole government working for you. ...Will Rogers

Our constitution protects aliens, drunks and U.S. Senators. ...Will Rogers

The difference between a Republican and a Democrat is the Democrat is a cannibal they have to live off each other, while the Republicans, why, they live off the Democrats. ...Will Rogers

There ought to be one day - just one - when there is open season on senators. ...Will Rogers

"We have a Ford in the White House and no gas" - Bob Hope

"It is easy to find President Ford on a golf course, just follow the wounded" - Bob Hope

"the man who made golf a contact sport." "You all know Jerry Ford -- the most dangerous driver since Ben Hur. Ford is easy to spot on the course. He drives the cart with the red cross painted on top. Whenever I play with him, I usually try to make it a foursome -- the President, myself, a paramedic and a faith healer. One of my most prized possession is the Purple Heart I received for all the golf I've played with him. "Whenever I play with Ford these days I carry 13 clubs and a white flag. I try to win only enough from him to pay my extra insurance premiums." - Bob Hope

President Gerald Ford was the only President to have earned Eagle Scout.

Bob Hope was awarded the Silver Buffalo Award.

Both enjoyed each other's company, jokes included, particularly on the golf course.

OK OK OK

Here is something that is getting on my nerves. I posted something here looking for some help as I usually do in this forum. Although I was in scouts as a teenager, I am new as a leader and come here for frquent advise.

This topic was started in another thread (Cub Scouts) but it was moved to uniforms. I am OK with that. What I am not OK with is the fact that this had become a discussion on Copyright cost and Government Jokes. Don't get me wrong, I like a good joke at our governments expense. But that is not why I started this thread. There has only been one or two constructive posts, the rest are about copyright. I understand that it is important, but that is not helping what I came here for.

I am looking for some help with finding a place to purchase patches that area somewhat stock and don't cost a fortune as my sons pack has $0.00. I once found ones that were premade, all you had to do was add text. I am trying to make it the best pack I can and all you can do is bash the govt. I hate to be rude but this is getting out of hand.

NOW, I am asking other scout leaders and scouters for help. Does someone have any information that can help me with this search. If so, Please post.

MODERATOR: COULD YOU GO THROUGH AND GET RID OF THE OTHER POSTS ARGUING ABOUT COPYRIGHT AND THE POLITICAL JOKES.

Please forgive us SctDad. We tend to get that way when we are reminded we are not doing things correctly.

The Patch Place is an excellent resource. I used them when I was a CM eons ago & it looks like they have only improved.

Check with a local sewing shop. Someone there might be able to give you some ideas.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10