Dual Membership-Dual Uniforms?

I posted a question in the Council relations forum about Dual Membership--can I be registered in both a unit and as a Council member-at-large at the same time? As Lodge Chief, I was invited to join the Council Exec. Board, and members of the board are to be registered as members-at large.

Should I have a uniform as a member-at-large for these meetings? My two tan uniforms both have the ASM and Troop insignia, but one could be changed, if necessary. Currently, as Lodge Chief, I wear my Troop Uniform, as all of the recent past Chiefs have done. But I'm pretty sure that this is the first time in a while that the Chief was invited to the Board (one of our Lodge Goals is to strengthen the bond between Council and the Lodge by having youth representation on Council Committees), so the past chiefs wouldn't have had to be in a different uniform.

This may be an odd way of thinking, but I feel that making myself a different uniform may put off a vibe of "self-importance" or "self-recognition" or something. But I would also like to be in the proper Uniform, so if I need to change one of my shirts to a member-at-large version, I will.

Opinions?

Its totally up to you. All the BSA asks is that whatever uniform you wear wear it correctly. You can represent yourself in one offic or the other but not both in the same uniform.

Do not mix your silver loop covers with an ASM positition of responsibility emblem. Do not wear the council committee emblem with Red loop covers. Or wear the Council committee patch with troop numerals. If you are only going to wear one uniform it should only represent one job.

I Hope this helps,

BW

(What is a troop insignia?)

I meant to say "ASM patch and other Troop insignia", and by that I meant my Unit number, the red loops, and the trained patch I received for going through Leader training.

I think maybe I'll ask what would be preferrable, or if they hand me a Council Committee patch, then I'll change.

Yah, hi milwscout! Milw-? Milwaukee?

Thanks for your leadership in our Brotherhood of Cheerful Service, eh? And congrats on bein' appointed to da Exec. Board.

Formally, in da BSA Insignia Guide, your shoulder loop colors match your position of primary registration. As a Council Scouter and member at large, your primary registration is gonna move to the Council in most cases. That moves yeh to Silver Tabs. So if yeh want a quick-and-easy solution, that's it, eh? ;) You should wear silver rather than red in all your functions, regardless of da position patch on your sleeve.

Informally, most folks prefer to match their uniform to the position they're servin' in at the time. Partly to avoid confusion, and partly to not look "uppity" in da way you describe. So when you're servin' the council as board member, yeh wear a council uniform, silver tabs over an Executive Board patch. When you're servin' your troop, yeh can wear red over an OA troop representative patch. For Lodge Chief whichever one is clean, eh? :)

I can also suggest hot-swappable velcro ;).

Beavah

Beavah...

Yep, I'm from Milwaukee. And thanks for the congratulations.

The idea of the two shirts (or maybe the velcro) is what I was planning to do, but I wanted to see what others would think about it. I want to avoid a possible situation where an Older Scouter would think I was being an "uppity" 19-year-old by wearing the Silver loops and Exec Board Patch. I understand that the Exec Board is pretty high on the ranks as far as Council positions go, and I don't want it to seem like I am gloating. But, on the other hand, I should be able to wear the correct Uniform for my position.

Milwscout,

Congratulations on being chief of your Lodge. May you have good times making great things happen for yourger Scouts who enter the Brotherhood of Cheerful Service. :)

I think, before I set up a Council Exec Board shirt, one question to the President: "Do you intend that I stay on the Council Exec Board after I step down as Lodge Chief?"

If he says yes, get a shirt. If he says no, ask "would you mind if I wear my unit shirt for the year?"

Since I don't know your Council, there's one other question: Does your Exec Board meet in uniform? In my Council, most exec Board members are coming from their day jobs, and meet in coat/tie.

John-In-KC

Those are some pretty good questions, and I will have to check those out. That would determine whether or not I need a Board Uniform, and whether I even need a Uniform.

Thanks for the good points that I never thought about, and also for the well-wishes.

" In my Council, most exec Board members are coming from their day jobs, and meet in coat/tie."

Of course, it's too much trouble to tak your uniform to work and change before leaving.

In my old district/council nearly everyone was in uniform at Roundtable and District meetings. If necessary, folks would change at work and come to the meeting.

In my new district/council, uniforms are the exception. The reason, "I come right from work."

Interesting, no?

One thing. If you're the lodge chief, then you are under 21 and you won't be able to register in any council or district positions. All those require one to be 21 or older. There isn't a lodge chief position patch either, so just keep your uniforms as they are, don't worry about dual registration and any of that stuff.

I hope you have a great year as lodge chief!

SWScouter

I was sent an Adult Application for Council Member-At-Large. Apparently I can be a Member-At-Large under 21, and all members of the Exec Board are to be regestered as a m-a-l in my Council.

I turned in the application today and asked about the Uniform. I was told that usually adults are coming from work (the meetings are weekdays from 12-1:15, during lunch), so they wear a suit and tie. But, she said that since I was representing the OA in a Youth role, I should wear my full uniform. She told me to get a "Council Exec Board" patch from the Scout Office. So I did.

Even if I am only on the board for a year, I don't mind changing a uniform. It's only a few patchs to remove an one to put on...

Snd since the position is in the Council, not in a unit, would I be correct in assuming that i should wear my silver shoulder loops?

Enjoy your year of service :) This would be one thing to put in your continuity notebook for the next Chief of the Lodge.

More importantly than sitting the Executive Board, make sure your clearly state your vision and your standards to your LEC. Spend a lot of time with your Reservation Ranger, make sure the Ordeal and Brotherhood service projects are not make-work.

... Oh, and have someone with a radio or cellphone at each ceremony. The volunteers who are cooking Cracker Barrel in the dining hall really would like to be in the loop on TIMING! :)

ICS