We need a sweater

I don't know if the Supply Division is open to suggestions, but it wouldn't hurt to ask them about an official sweater. But I suspect we'd already have one, if SD thought they could turn a profit.

Back in the 50s and maybe early 60s, BSA used to sell official shoes (you could see the BSA logo stamped in the soles). I suspect they quit making them when kids (or their parents) stopped buying them.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Back in the 50s and maybe early 60s, BSA used to sell official shoes (you could see the BSA logo stamped in the soles). I suspect they quit making them when kids (or their parents) stopped buying them."

That was back when kids had a pair of dress shoes and a pair of sneaks, neither really good for camping.

As Volker pointed out here regarding sweaters of German orgin, they just plain work. I have a surplus one that is OD and well worn...I removed the flag patches off each sleeve and placed an American flag in the correct spot on the right sleeve...then put my WB Antelope patrol patch (the one with the woggle border) below it.

I had an older khaki/green BSA strip that I had sewn where it would be if on a shirt. On the left sleeve I have the pre-1969 Scoutmaster insignia (the one utilizing the first class emblem and no wording other than "Boy Scouts of America"). I hauled this heavy devil around at Philmont 2 years ago...I was beginning to think a fleece would have been better as far as weight goes, when I got REALLY COLD one afternoon while hiking in a constant drizzle with a rain-suit induced sauna. Having that kind of wool sweater meant I got warm as well as toasty in near record time.

I tried the red loops on the shoulder straps..but I could'nt bring myself to wear them out to an event or camping...they just seemed...well, farb is a good word to explain them. Stosh probably knows what the word means. Seems that the leather loops with WB or other scouting decorations would go well on these sweaters as I feel they are kinda over the top for the field uniform.