We need a sweater

It has occurred to me that we (meaning BSA) need a sweater for the uniform. There is or was a cardigan in the catalog but that isn't too "Scoutly" in my humble opinion.

Not too long ago, I bought a Dutch army sweater. 100% wool, olive green with a pocket on the sleeve and a velcro for a name tag. $20. British army surplus Wooly-pullys can be had for about $20 as well.

Epaulets can be used for the shoulder loops and maybe velcro on the sleeve for either the unit patch or position patch.

Warm, rugged, good for camping, renewable resource . . . what's not to like?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I am not sold on a sweater, I do like the idea of a cold weather uniform top. Currently I wear a BSA fleece pullover and when it's warmer, the nylon jacket. The wool jac-shirt is on my someday list. How about a nice, heavy wool or flannel uniform shirt?

I got my butt chewed in 1983 for wearing a wooly-pully instead of a 5-button.

Wool sweaters as a layer went out the door when the Army Combat Uniform replaced the BDU a couple years back.

Now, it's various zippered polypro garments. I just have this one itty bitty problem with polypro...

Hydrocarbons BURN

I don't like plastic clothing in general for many reason, flamability is one of them.

Stuck away in a trunk in case I ever shrink enough to wear them are a black 1980s vintage Army issue V-neck wooly-pully, a green Brit issue wooly pully, and tan one of unknown origin. I like the wooly-pully :-), it's warm and looks nice over a shirt.

100% agreed.

Nothing better to keep your torso warm like a good woolly pully.

If you don't like olive green, the German military also issues these in dark blue and grey as well, pocket on left breast, canvas on shoulders and elbows and velcro shoulder straps.

The national flags come off the sleeves easily.

If you want, I can get them for you at good rates directly from the manufacturer.

best regards,

Volker

• 1 month later...

I agree with a sweater. The USMC currently has an OD green pullover with epaulets, that would look great with our current Khaki, OD uniforms. I have seen similar versions referred to as a commando sweater. I was a cop in a past life, and we wore a navy blue version of the same, I rarely needed or wore a coat when I had the sweater on. Oh and by the way, I like berets too, hahahaha.

I know, it's heretical. But I did everything I could to avoid wearing that Wooly Pully. I am a fan of the five button sweater mentioned above. And while I don't think you could pay the Scouts to wear a Beret, I'd wear one in red, black or green with a Standard emblem pin. Tan shows dirt and sweat to easily.