RED Jackets

Recently a large contingent of our pack went camping. night time temps were in the mid 40's and everyone had a great time. During one of the campfires a discussion about cold weather gear came up. Other than the red wool shirt jac there is no approved cold weather shirt. We would like to purchase red polarfleece jackets and put our council and pack number patches on it so we can still be identified as scout leaders and not freeze. It seems silly to wear a complete class "A" uniform and then cover it up with all the various ski type jackets we owned. Is the anything prventing us from puting a council shoulder patch or pack number on any type of red jacket?

Thanks for the input.

Would agree with Pack378.

Keep in mind that with the red jacshirt or red nylon jacket (the official jackets), one does not wear council strips or unit numbers.

By and large when I see units out in cold weather, the choice of winter jackets is more personal preference. Putting insignia on them would, I think, for most people limit them to 'scouting stuff' only.

In my area, the concern is more with rain gear, and I see a wide range of choices being used. A no one wearing insignia on them. Now, I do happen to have a red rain jacket (no guesses why I choice that color) that I use on scouting events, but never put insignia on it, as I used it for non scouting stuff.

I'd skip the unit and council patches on the fleece jacket but you might want to think about having them embroidered with the universal scouting emblem and your name.

Half my casual clothing has scouting emblems on it. Shirts with embroidered OA emblems, scouting emblems, etc. I wear my expedition hat all the time with a British Scouting badge on it.

I do not have an official red scout jacket, but I do own a red Pendleton jacket that 10' away you can't tell the difference. It does have two extra pockets on the front outside which is handy. I do not put any patches or pins on it but everyone assumes it's BSA.

I like the wool over the polar fleece, and don't have any problems with wearing wool. This is fortunate because I like the warmth of wool the best. With a red turtle-neck and short sleeves or just a long sleeve uniform, I'm okay in the winter. If it's really cold I wear my Crew's great coat which is 3 more layers of wool and do very well at keeping warm in most situations. When it dips to 0 or below, I switch over to my down parka and add wool longjohns. Can anyone tell I really like wool?

Stosh

"...Is the anything prventing us from puting a council shoulder patch or pack number on any type of red jacket?..."

There are limitations for what you can put on the "official" Red Jacket. However, I've see leaders put Troop numbers on various personal jackets for ID purposes.

As others have posted I am looking for definitive uniform guidance of the Red Jackets.

If none exists I would see no reason why (within reason) Council, pack/troop numbers and temporary patches could not be displayed on the red jacket. Something in the manner of the red vests the Cubs utilize.

I have failed to find anything to date. Anyone else have any definitive info?(This message has been edited by Nate Pack295)

I am also looking for "definitive" uniform guidance on the BSA Red Wool Jackets.

I have failed to find any to date.

If none exists, I see no problem displaying current council, pack/troop, or temporary patches earned on the jacket, within reason of course.

"As others have posted I am looking for definitive uniform guidance of the Red Jackets.

"If none exists I would see no reason why (within reason) Council, pack/troop numbers and temporary patches could not be displayed on the red jacket."

It DOES exist, and is in the Insignia Guide.

Briefly:

* Universal BSA emblem on the left pocket (or that area on a red jacket that doesn't have a pocket, like the nylon jacket).

* Philmont Bull, Sea Base Conch or Shark, OR Northen Tier Loon above the left pocket.

* ONE (and only one) large jacket/back patch on the back, centered. Could be OA, Jamboree, NOAC, High Adventure, etc.

* ONE high adventure (or PTC) patch on the right pocket.

And that's pretty much it. No CPS, no unit numbers, no american flag, no covering the jacket and sleeves with patches. (this is NOT a 'patch jacket', which is how the red vests are treated).

I picked up one of the BSA units a year or so ago, mostly out of memories of when I was a scout and the men who ran the troop, they all had the red wool BSA jackets. Since I became scoutmaster it was a neat way of identifying with my past as a scout and trying to carry the spirit forward to today and my troop.

The ones BSA sells are terribly overpriced if you ask me....$150 for what amounts to a plain, glorified shirt. I got mine off of Ebay for a third the price including shipping (USed but in good shape).

I had no idea there were guideliens on the jackets too and frankly, it is a memento of my old troop and friends and ther things we did back then. I do have council patches and troop numbers on mine....for my troop from the seventies that no longer exists. I have several camp patches on it, all camps I went to as a kid, some long gone now.

I do get interest and quesntions from the scouts about the camps I went to, the things we did and requests to hear stories as a result of the patches of old camps and I get interest from other scouters about why someone in Colorado has Greater Niagara Frontier patches (Western New York) and this leads into comparisons about scouts tehn vs today, camp experiences etc. Although my red jacket does not meet guideliens, it has resulted in many positive conversations with others young and old.

• Upvote 1

I wear a red, long-sleeved moc-turtleneck under my short-sleeved Scoutshirt when the temps drop. I also have a red jac-shirt.

The undershirt has a gold FDL on the collar, but its a generic FDL, not the BSA variety.

I bought it at the NCAC Scout Shop about five years ago and just assumed it was official.

I've not seen another since I bought it (and a matching blue one for when I'm doing cold-weather Cub stuff).