Religious Award medals

Is and adult, who earned a religious award while a boy, allowed to wear the religious award medals he earned to Scout Sunday services or COH?? I have only seen this one time an it took me by surprise. Was not sure if it is allowed or even in good taste to do so as an adult. I was under assumption the square knot was all the was allowed. Any thoughts or answers??

Thanks

And I think that Scout Sunday and a COH both qualify as formal events. I remember some discussion of this in the past. I think there were two camps: one which thought that it was 'tacky' (my term) to load on the medals; the other which thought that showing those medals would 'inspire' (my term) the boys. I can see both arguments to some degree but I can't bring myself to look like some boastful Russian general. I just wear the knots, and only those two that I earned as a boy.

The Insignia Guide shows that the youth religious square knot may be worn by youth or adult members who earned the knot as a youth member; it is quiet on the youth religious medals. But, the illustration on how to wear knots and medals shows five knots, the Eagle Scout medal and a religious medal.

http://www.scouting.org/pubs/33066/10K.html

My opinion would be to wear it for Scout Sunday or other religious occasion. I only wear the Eagle Scout medal at Eagle Scout courts of honor and the Silver Beaver at the council dinners.

Ed

Thanks everyone for the info. I wear my knot on uniform...it never entered my mind to wear the medals at all except when I was a boy. Still not sure on whether I should or not, even for Scout Sunday. I have mixed feelings on how much an adult should wear on uniform. not talking away from anyone accomplishements, ESPECIALLY Eagle Scouts!!

Thanks again!

"I have mixed feelings on how much an adult should wear on uniform. not talking away from anyone accomplishements, ESPECIALLY Eagle Scouts!!"

Not wearing your awards at the appropriate time does not take away from anyones' accomplishements but yourself.

Adults wearing their awards appropriately can lead to other youths (and adults) working toward those awards.

I have more a problem with adults wearing awards outside of when its appropriate. Epalmer84 gave some good guidence on medals. By and large, medals are for formal occasions (award events, court of honors, etc). What I don't like is when some adults wear things outside these bounds, like an adult I saw at a roundtable wearing his Eagle Medal. Not approprate to wear the medal there.

An adult wearing their medals at a court of honor (religous youth awards, etc) may spur some scouts to ask what they are and how they can earn them, and might inspire them to earn them as well. (same as about wearing religious medals at a Scout Sunday service, as well as fielding possible questions from parisioners, which may raise their view of scouting in their eyes).

Yah, some religions have awards for different program levels, and separate awards for adults, eh?

I'm of a mind that if your religion has an adult award, that's the one to wear as a medal at formal occasions.

I also find it odd to wear a youth religious award from a different program, particularly a younger program. So a Crew Advisor wearin' a youth cub scouting religious award just seems... off. But no problem for a Cub Scout leader, eh?

Just another opinion to kick around.

Beavah

Once again, we dug up this horse corpse and are kicking it around to maker sure it's really dead! I thought we agreed a while ago that what a SCouter chooses to wear is a personal decision, as long as it was earned and in accordance with the insignia guide? If it's too over the top (like my UC example a couple of weeks ago), I just write the guy off as a nut case and get on with my life. In most cases, MYOB.