Who wears a District Patch?

I think it would be a nice idea to have some way to recognize districts on the uniform. I am in the Transatlantic Council, and a difference in district means you're in another country altogether!! I am in the Mayflower Dist in the UK, while there are a half dozen others spanning all of Europe! We do have a council round patch (temporary insignia placement)around which we put award and recognition segments, so perhaps they could create a district segment. This could be a great idea for everyone else too! See if your council has a council round patch and maybe they have a district segment too.

Our past District Commissioner created a segment to go underneath the round district patch. On says--commissioner team--obviously for all the commissioner staff, and another that says--district committee--for all the committee members. I'm not sure why he did it? The commissioner segment is red and the committee segment is blue, to match the position patches.

Well in my Council, every District has a patch.

Many units Cub and Boy Scout wear them in the "Temp" position.

The main reason is that some use the segment program, for events, achievement etc. Sewn around the patch.

I find that some (both youth & adult), know nothing but that. When we first moved here, a number of the local UP tried to give my sons a hard time for not wearing the District patch. They both wanted to wear their "international event" patch when they noticed that no one else had it besides them. They were harassed for a while until it was realized that no one was listening. Now there are more and more scouts who choose no to wear the District patch. Although in Cubs, it is very big. You will see them with 2 or more rings around the patch. Looks like a big "bulls eye" on their chest (very cluttered).

I have been in other Councils who had similar programs. I sat on an EBOR for a 17.99 year old scout who had not worn a uniform in 4 years. He showed up in a borrowed uniform with a District patch in place of the CSP. While the kid was an "OK" Eagle candidate (not great, but still OK), one of the board was fixated on that patch and would not even consider accepting him as an Eagle. We had to adjourn and come back with a new board. He did pass though.

YiS

• 6 years later...

An important item to mention here is a council may authorize a special patch, or patches, to be worn by members within the council borders. If the council officially authorizes the patch, and placement, it is uniform.

With the most recent shake up on insignia approval guidelines and procedures this may have changed. I know many years ago it took the Council Committee recommending the insignia to the SE who gave it a thumbs up or down. I'm not sure is the SE had to obtain approval from another person or group within BSA.

My point is there is a way for the council to approval insignia for use within the council; the OP's patch my be official. Our district has a patch, that has fallen into disuse, but was worn by adult scouters in the district beginning some time between 1932 and 1944, until about three years ago. Our patch was approved upon issue, as I was told by our SE in the 80's, who said it is official. Since this time we've went through a council merger, but our district lines and name have not changed.

I'm going to speak with our current SE to get his take on issuing these patches again, and doubt I'll get resistance as most of our districts do have a district patch.

I still like the old community strips. No one really cares what council you're in, they want to know the town/state where you're from.

I suppose thought, it would cut into the profitability of selling tons of different council patches for every little occasion that comes along. It would not help out with patch trading either.

When was it that profitability won out over practicality?

By the way, been in Scouting for 40 years and have never heard of a district patch until now.

Stosh

Backin the late 1980s, early 1990s my district created a district patch becasue that became a fad in my council. They issued everyone attending a camporee a patch.

Several years later, when I was working for supply, we had a bunch of new leaders keep asking us for district patches they were "required" to have. Found out one district was still making them and selling them to help with events and camperships.