The neckerchief

For what it's worth, our Troop seems much like CalicoPens's.

New Scouts crossover and are given a generic neckerchief bought from the Scout Shoppe. At the Court of Honor after a Scout earnes 1st Class, he is presented with our hand made "Troop" neckerchief, embroidered with a logo for our Troop that is now 50 years old.

This necker, and the ceremony in which it is presented, are very special in our Troop. The Scouts really aspire to earn that neckerchief. It is one of the reasons, I think, that a good percentage of our Troop make 1st class by the Court of Honor after their second summer camp.

The Scouts in our Troop wear their neckerchiefs all the time when in uniform. As a matter of fact, we rarely see a Scout without a complete uniform - Pants, Shirt, Belt and Neckerchief, and usually socks, too - except in the summer when Troop t shirts are the norm. We wear uniforms to all meetings, to all outside activities unless inappropriate, like a climbing event, and to and from ALL campouts.

We haven's had an adult wear a neckechief if many, many years, if at all. Most of us wear open collars or bolo ties at meetings and traveling, and the green ties at CoH, SM Conferences, and BoRs.

We do have one ASM who insists on wearing the red dress tie with fluer d' lis (sp?) with his uniform. To all of the rest of us, this looks extremely tacky. But we tried to convince him to accept our gift of a green tie, and he won't hear of it.

I too believe that the neckerchief should be a sacred (small "s") part of the uniform. I hope it never goes away.

Mark

"We do have one ASM who insists on wearing the red dress tie with fluer d' lis (sp?) with his uniform."

Not only is that not appropriate for wear with the khaki/green uniform, it must look really idiotic. Maybe that's the impression that he's trying to give.

Of course the neckerchief isn't cool anymore - too many adults are wearing it.

That doesnt seem the case to me, at least in this neck of the woods. I went to District Roundtable last night and, aside from my own, noted only two other neckerchiefs both Wood Badge. All others were either bolos (not many) or open collar.

In an earlier post I mentioned our big brother Scout Troop. I talked with their Committee Chair (open collar) who informed me that the Troop does wear neckerchiefs on special occasions. The neckerchiefs are custom made and are actually held in Troop storage. The boys were loosing them or forgetting to bring them to the required occasions so they thought that central storage, distribution and collection was the best and most economical way to go. Kinda doesnt teach much in the way of responsibility though.

It would be nice if National would consider making the standard neckerchief in a more useful size, shape, and strength. During a recent Webelos hike we practiced making slings in the event of an on the trail injury. We brought material specifically for the slings. It would have been nice to have been able to use the neckerchiefs. I guess there is the custom-made route.

If the neckerchief were able to be used as a do-rag that might enhance its coolness, although I shudder to think!

YIS

Mike

Custom neckerchiefs of whatever size are easy to make. I knocked out 42 of them in an afternoon.

Nice sized ones are 45". Buy the bolt 45" wide, cut ever 45" (45" square)

Then cut diagonal both ways makes 4 scarves.

roll the hem and iron down.

Straight stitch and clip extra fabric on the ends.

Get Iron-on paper and print from computer whatever logo you want and iron on.

Working together 2-3 people could knock out 100 neckerchiefs on a single Saturday.

There's no excuse for not having exactly what you what in a neckerchief.

When you're done with the Troop neckerchief, have the patrols design their own as well.

I have had boys bring two neckerchiefs to an event because some of the time they are functioning as a troop and at other times they are functioning and identifying as a patrol. That dynamic DOES promote personal responsibility.

Stosh

Our troop adopted a standard BSA neckerchief about 3 years ago. They are free to wear any appropriate neckerchief slide but most wear the standard Boy Scout slide.

The neckerchief is worn at all COH, other formal events, when we are attending activities where it is appropriate to wear. Some of the Scouts wear it whenever in uniform. They may wear the neckerchief either over or undr the collar. Adults who are Wood Badgers normally wear the Wood Badge Neckerchief for formal occasions.

Personally, I like neckerhiefs, for tradition if no other reason. But they do seem a natural part of the uniform and help sharpen the look. They are just so, Scout. A Scout who wears a neckerchief definitely stands out.

I do wish the standard BSA neckerhiefs were bigger though.