Insignia Guide and Embroidered Knots

Thanks Beavah,You are right,I am very proud of my son achieving Eagle. I will take my chances with the uniform police and find a small spot on my 2x shirt to display it.As far a baseball caps and cowboy hats I will save those spots for golden trinkets

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SWScouter, 

Maybe it's a Midwest thing but in my counsel and those around me the roundtable "staff" are considered roundtable commissioners and wear the commissioner patch. They first earn the training award as roundtable staff and then are eligible to earn the arrowhead distinguished service award. I wonder if the distinction between commissioner corp and roundtable staff is written down somewhere. I've never given it much thought until recently when I was asked to serve as roundtable commissioner. LongHaul

The roundtable staff emblems shown on Scoutstuff.org have the commissioner's wreath. I stopped by our Scout shop- the Cub Scout and Venturing roundtable staff emblems all have the wreath; the Boy Scout staff patches are mixed with an without the wreath; no one there knew why.

Ed

FWI-

There was a period of time a few years back (10 or so) when National dropped the wreath from the RT Staff patches, because they 'weren't commissioners'.

This didn't last too long, and the wreaths were restored. There are probably Scout Shops out there with stock of non-wreath RT Staff patches.

Roundtable staff/support are commissioners. They are part of the commissioner staff. Therefore, the wreath. Now, they are not Unit Commissioners, nor are they District Commissioners or Assistant District Commissioners. A Commissioner is a friend, representative, doctor, teacher and counselor.

Longhaul, are you saying that all roundtable staff wear the roundtable commissioner position patch? That seems strange to me. My understanding is that there are four different RT commissioners, one for each program type (Cub Scouting, Boy Scouting, Varsity Scouting, and Venturing). There would be a commissioner that is in charge of each program's RT. That would be the RT Commissioner. Each commissioner would have several people helping out, running breakouts, etc. Those people would be RT Staff.

• 2 months later...

First, let me clarify something.

Roundtable Staff are NOT Commissioners. They are STAFF, hence the name Roundtable Staff. They earn the Scouter's Training Award for Roundtable Staff. The Roundtable Commissioners earn the Arrowhead Honor award, then the Scouter's Key for Roundtable Commissioners. If a Commissioner earns these two awards and serves in a Commissioner position for 5 consecutive years, then the Council can present that Commissioner with the Distinquished Commissioner Service Award.

The DCSA may be earned more than once, but no device pin is to be worn on the square knot. Device pins are shown for the area that the square knot is earned (Cubbing, Scouting, Sea Scouting, Exploring, etc.)

• 7 months later...

some may be aware of this some not, there are MORE knots being released very soon! the insignia guide is being re-written to accomadate the new ones and the proper location on the centenial uniform, which is a bit of a problem for commissioners as to where to put the patches on the left sleeve. more on the new knots later...insider information.

The correct location for the parent's pin is on civilian clothing. There is no correct location on the official uniform for it to be worn. The fact that your son earned the Eagle rank has nothing to do with your role as a Scouting volunteer.

There are no uniform police. The BSA has always relied on the personal integrity of each volunteer to wear the uniform correctly.

As a proud parent of an Eagle you may proudly display your parents pin on your civilian clothing correctly.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

• 1 year later...

Webdog,

I recommend you wear the father's pin wherever you like on your uniform. BSA's Insignia Guide is a "guide" - not a holy book or a set of laws. It guides us in how to properly adorn our uniforms so that we are mostly uniform.

Your integrity is not on the line if you put a father's eagle pin on your shirt.

I am an old eagle scout myself, and if my father put on his old leader's uniform with his father's pin on it, I'd glow in the dark.

Let's keep our eyes on the prize, folks. We don't do this to follow rules. The guidelines exist to help us do things well, not to create process and procedure for its own sake. We are in this to grow youth into good citizens who love leadership, service, character, achievement, and the outdoors.

If wearing a father's pin on the shirt doesn't obscure or harm that mission, and may help it, then do it.

'Round these parts, the place for non-uniform usual pins is the left pocket left flap corner. I see Baloo pins, religious committee pins, Jamboree staff pins, all kindsa pins there. Sorta became the mutually nonvocally agreed upon place. Just happened.

Just for the record, I disagree with BSA24's perspective 100%.

Yes, I understand it, but I can't endorse it.

BDPT00

P.S. Ditto for SSScout's thing with the pocket. "Round these parts" doesn't work for me. We all have the same book. Some of us abide by it. Some don't care.

Eh, when it comes down to it, I only care about accuracy on a couple of my uniforms, and those are the ones where a)I will be dealing with section/area, region, or national people, and b) I am acting in my district role. For my unit level uniform, I will put stuff on that doesn't belong. There is definitely a patrol patch on my adult uniform. I have a Trained strip that says Curmudgeon, and an interpreter strip that says Yankee (from Pennsylvania, living in Virginia, the youth gave it to me at one CoH, it was pretty funny). Now, I do have a more prim and proper unit uniform, but that's just not as fun to wear.

There is a time to be a stick-in-the-mud, and a time to have fun, IMO. If you want to put something on your uniform not approved, by all means, go for it. Just when you go that district/council dinner or you're at a Council of Chiefs, it's best to keep the uniform proper.

Some may disagree, and that's your prerogative. Some have said that I should use my troop uniform to set an example for the youth, and I do. When we're going to be in more contact with the public, I wear my proper uniform. But we're a full uniform troop, so even at our weekly troop meetings, we're all in uniform, and that's when I like to have fun. Some of the youth that have two uniforms have taken this approach as well.

The one thing I haven't done, though, is break out my complete spoof uniform for them, not sure if I could still fit it anyway, lol.(This message has been edited by VigilEagle04)

BDPT00, you are welcome to disagree.

I'm a volunteer. You can fire me, but you can't tell me what to do. Last I checked, no one has been fired for wearing a father's eagle pin on their uniform shirt, so it looks like our business here is concluded.