Insignia Guide and Cub Scouts

Here are my Cub Scout nitpickings in the Insignia Guide.

The BB shooting and archery belt loops and pins are not listed. I understand we leave them out of the Program Guide for Cub Scout Academic and Sports because we dont want to encourage people to do the activities on their own. But they should be in the Insignia Guide.

The Centennial Quality Unit award is listed as being for youth member and leader. But other awards on the page are also available for leaders, and are not so indicated. The Conservation Good Turn award is definitely for leaders (http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/21-386/index.html). The BSA Family Award is for all family members. The Emergency Preparedness Award and the BSA Physical Fitness Award are both for Scouters. The Good Turn for America patch is also available for Scouters, and also comes with rockers that could be shown here.

And speaking of the Emergency Preparedness Award why on earth is it supposed to be centered on the left pocket flap? Theres a button at the center of the pocket flap. The Insignia Guide is correct on this one the description matches the national web site, but I havent seen any pictures. This seems like someone just wrote it down as a quick notation without really thinking it through.

And why, in the Cub Scout section, are leaders referred to as leaders, while some other sections refer to them as Scouters? The two terms appear to be used randomly and interchangeably, but it would seem more correct to pick one term and stick with it.

And lastly, Id like to see this section actually list all of the awards that Cub Scouts are eligible for, or at least all the ones that national produces. There is the Jamboree-on-the-Air / Jamboree-on-the Internet, Crime Prevention, and Donor Awareness.

The only other items that Cub Scouts can wear that are in the book are the International award (p. 50), a nameplate (p. 42), the three heroism awards, and the James E. West Fellowship Award (p. 52). These are correctly identified, but it takes a fine-tooth comb to find them all.

But local1400,

Way baaaack in the 1960s (!!!) there was a blank patrol patch (black border, red field) for "insert name here" patrol.

You're tilting at a 40+year old windmill, my friend. Shall I cue "The Impossible Dream" from "Man of La Mancha?"

I know, I know John. And we have the tan one today. Unless the Happy Clowns and the Ferrets Patrols make flags and have patrol yells, I can't tell whos who. Man from La Mancha? My earliest TV memories are of Johnny Gage and Roy DeSoto. And of course, the lovely Julie London.

Man of LaMancha wasn't a TV show, it was hit musical. Sheesh!

If we're talking about Emergency, let's not forget Bobby Troup (get your kicks)

Do you mean that your patrols just wear a blank patrol patch? Don't they even doodle something with a sharpie?

When I was a Boy Scout in the early 1970's I attended Junior Leader Training Camp. We were encouraged to come up with imaginative Patrol names, even if it included a non-sequitor or made no sense. We selected "The Atomic Thumbs" ("Atomic" energy being consider cutting edge and environmentally friendly back then!) and our logo which we put on our patrol flag (easily could have been inked onto a blank patch if it was a permanent patrol name) was a giant human thumb with a pictorial representation of an atom at its center, several electron orbital rings around a round nucleas, a common symbol for atomic energy. Our patrol name and flag/logo was highly commended by every Scouter who saw it!