Stump The Chump, Scouting Magazine, Jan-Feb 08

(TIC)

OK, all you uniform police, here's your chance to play STUMP THE CHUMP. In this case, the chump is whoever edited the cover page for v96, no 1 (Jan-Feb 2008) of Scouting magazine.

Find, and cite the uniforming errors.

(/ TIC)

I think this is proof positive of what I understand Eamonn and Beavah both say: Make your best efforts, but at the end of the day, the individual Scouter makes the final call on his/her uniforming.

Have fun, and Blessed Christmas! :)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first thing that jumped out at me were silver loops on a unit level scouter. (Or, if you like, unit numbers and position patch on a District level scouter).

There's lots more on the cover and throughout the issue, but I'll let others have some fun.

Wow, If my scouts were discussing a fellow scout in this manner They'd be invited to sit at my table and reflect on a few points of the scout law.

On the chance that Mr. C........ should see this thread, Congrats on a job well done! And thanks.

All, Please keep in mind that once posted here conversations don't go away.

Having gone through having a Scout be on the cover of the UK Scouting Mag, with his world friendship badge on the wrong pocket. (His Mum was blind.)

I'm not going to join in this thread.

But ... Think Wood Badge?

Eamonn.

Mr Wingnut,

Precisely my point. Mr Coronado has a troop that the editors found worthy of mention. He's obviously applying the 8 Methods of Scouting. I also join in congratulating him on a successful Troop.

I hope folks sat the TIC... it means tongue in cheek

Woodbadge woggle with the plaid necker.

Odd patch above the right pocket.

The belt is kosher, the buckle looks like it has a CSP on it.

On p 24, the guy with the Mexican flag is wearing his Cub Scouter knot backwards.

Where are all of the older Scouts?

However, the important thing is that he has registered Scouts and is generating revenue for BSA ;-)

I take Mr. Coronado's uniform as a confirmation of the idea that having a perfect uniform is not what national is looking for when they look for great success stories.

This conversation is another example of how these threads don't mirror the real world. In the real world, we'd probably all offer our thanks and congratulations. That would make for a pretty boring thread, though.

I'll take the fact that his world crest is too low as a reminder to focus on the important things.

"I'm not going to join in this thread."

But...

A year or so back Scouting mag had a cover photo of what looked like a Boy Scout Patrol.

The Scouts were sitting near a river or a waterfall.

These Scouts were just too perfect!!

The picture might well have been an ad for Scout Stuff!!

Every Scout was super clean, with not a hair out of place.

Not a speck of dirt on one of them.

I forget what the cover story was about.

These Scouts put the cute little Lads seen in Rockwell paintings to shame!!

When I looked at it, I couldn't help thinking how phony it looked.

I have the issue of Scouting mag with Willy Coronado on my desk, as yet I have not read it.

Near the bottom of the page there is a story about Luge.(Which I haven't read.)

Somehow at my age I kinda think I have more in common with Willy than I have with who-ever is on that sled!

I hate the cold!!

Ea.

You know, I did not see any uniform errors that were worth mentioning.

Good-looking troop. Pocket flaps? Yea, I noticed those too but I think we can overlook those, can't we?

Fortunately, He he has his world crest low enough where he can't put more than 6 knots on his uniform and over-decorate it.

Woodbadge woggle? The plaid necker is far better looking than those ugly "pink" WB neckers.

I haven't gotten my issue yet, but I'd never hold up a photo in "Scouting" (or Boy's Life, for that matter) as an example for others to follow re: proper uniforming.

The sources for proper uniforming are the various boy & leader handbooks, the uniform inspection sheets, and the Insignia Guide.

Anything else is unofficial and not worth wasting a lot of hot air on, in my opinion . . .

Overlook them why don't they approve more of them. The only pocket flap patches I have seen are the OA ones and that is limited to members and only one pocket. Put the council patch there rather than on the sleeve! In cub scouts they had an outdoor activity flap probably should have one for boy scouts. I have sat through the slide show from a local troops visit to the jamboree last year and most of the scouting organizations around the world have shirts with patches and even other stuff all over them. The boys and oh the horror girls trade patches and even entire uniform shirts. The Scottish lads were even wearing their kilts. A troop in their activity shirts and shorts doing something useful is much better than military style marionettes on parade. Military people have special training to be able to read fruit salad but to the rest of us it is just a jumble. Let each troop design its own uniforms like venturers and the more patches on it the better.