So will you bite...

Thinking about Lisabobs dilemma about whether to buy Juniorbob a new uniform now or to hold off until the "new" uniforms come out got me to wondering. Will you be the first kid on your block to sport the new uniform (IF and when it comes), or will you be content like me to continue on in the current shirt until replacement is absolutely necessary? How about a little survey friends?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I wait for these to "wear out" I'll never buy a "new" uniform. I still wear the one I bought in 89 when I came back. The "74" model I wore when I left would still be useable if it hadn't shrunk so much hanging in the closet. Actually it will depend on what the new ones look like.

LH

I'll probably bite. Bought the switchbacks when they first came out, showed 'em off at Scout meeting, and now all the guys have them.

LongHaul makes a good point, though. I know a lot of folks complain about the price of the uniform, but I've had the tan shirt and old-style pants and shorts for about 10 years and they are in great shape. Definitely got my money's worth out of them.

For myself I'll wait until the 2 shirts I have are falling to pieces. However, for Nephew, I'll get him the new shirt (along with a new pair of switchbacks, his are patched already) when (if) they come available...he likes being cutting edge and setting the uniform example for "his" guys (he's SPL & den chief, poised to be Troop Guide at SM's request when the new boys bridge in).

YiS

Michelle

I plan to camp in my Scout Shop's parking lot the night before delivery day :-)

If the current prototype materializes, I will also buy the new green loops and the Troop numerals with the tan background and darker tan numbers so that I can retrofit some of my current six official Uniforms (especially my two cotton indoor shirts).

Just to give the local Wood Badge Uniform Police some meaning in their lives I will have a custom version of our CSP made with a tan background and darker tan details to match the understated look of the new Uniform shirt.

Kudu

I'll probably buy them for my son because by the time they hit the shelves, he'll have outgrown his current uniform anyway. If I'm going to buy new stuff, it might as well be the "cool" new stuff that he isn't embarrassed to wear in public.

For myself, it will depend on the fit. If the new shirts are cut better for women than the old ones, then I will probably buy myself one. Otherwise, probably not. We'll see.

I was one of the first to go to Switchbacks, and I'll probably be the first to go with the new shirt. My current one is getting a little ratty around the edges, but since I rarely wash it, it hasn't shrunk much. ;)

This came up at Roundtable last week, and a few SM's mentioned that they weren't allowing the switchbacks to be worn by boys at events with campfires, because the nylon has a tendancy to melt when you get a little too close to the fire... I've seen it happen as well. Hopefully, the new shirts will have a little more resistance to the occasional ember or proximity to high heat sources.

LongHaul,

The following was posted to Scouts-L on Oct 7th 2007 by Jay Lenrow under the Subject heading "New Uniform - Update":

Yesterday at the National Meetings in Irving, I had the opportunity to

actually see the prototype of the new uniform. I can report that the

colors have not changed. The shirt is still desert tan but it is made

of a quick dry fabric. The epaulets have remained but the tabs for Boy

Scouts will now be a muted green color. On the left sleeve, there is a

bellows pocket with a flap where the position patch goes. The troop

numerals have a tan background with darker tan numbers. I could not

tell if the patch is held on by velcro or not. Each of the chest

pockets is a bellows type pocket with velcro closures. The overall look

was very understated which made the colorful CSP and OA flap look

somewhat out of place.

The pants are an update of the switchback pants. Each leg has a large

bellows type pocket with velcro closures. It is hard to tell but

because of the size of the pocket, the zipper for the leg bottoms

appears to be at or below the knee.

It was unclear whether this was the actual new uniform or a work in

progress. It was explained to me that this change came from National

Supply, which has the authority to tweak the current uniform. A radical

makeover (e.g. changing the colors) would have to come from the Boy

Scout Committee.

Jay L. Lenrow

Chairman -- National Jewish Committee on Scouting

Area 5 Metro President -- Northeast Region

Member -- National Relationships Standing Committee

Member -- National Religious Relationships Committee

Past President -- Baltimore Area Council

I used to be a Buffalo (NE IV-123) but I'll always be an Eagle (1966)

Proud son of a Life Scout and proud father of an Eagle