Square Knots...Are you game? (Just for fun)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have a old timer in our unit who wears three knots: His AOL, his Eagle and his religious knot.    One of our new dads, active in district with a chest full of knots, asked him one night, "Is that

Gee, I must be REALLY old, I thought the limit was 6.    As far as uniforms go, the trend seems to be whatever one wants to wear is acceptable.  Just last week, I was late for the meeting and slipp

I think the key is being judicious and having a sense of taste and propriety, which admittedly is sorely lacking nowadays. Current BSA guidelines indicate that no more than three rows, or nine knots,

• 2 weeks later...

fascinating thread ... You've managed to get all the current ones I know of ... only one comment on the final list ...

#43 -- Skipper's key -- is actually just a device (Sea Scout) on the Scouters Key (#11) -- the green and white knot is common with the Scoutmaster's Key, Coach's Key (Varsity), Advisor's Key (Venturing), Commissioner's Key, District Key, Cubmaster's Key (prior to 1979), Advisor's Key (Exploring, back when ...)

On the question of Pack Trainer -- stay tuned. If not already in process in your council, there is presently being rolled out a new position "Unit Trainer", expanding this concept to Troops/Crews/Teams/Ships ... (new position code on applications, etc.). I wonder if the Pack trainer square knot is going to vanish as quickly as it appeared ...

• 2 months later...

The "Antarctic" knot is properly called the National Science Foundation knot, as this is the sponsoring agency. Technically, the Antarctic Service Medal is a military decoration and cannot be worn on a Scout uniform, though it is also issued to civilians (who get a lapel pin instead of the ribbon in their kit). Apparently, a loom run was made and some issued, but its status is uncertain, there is only one Scout per year selected for the program.

• 3 months later...

"I seem to have heard something about a Doctor of Commissioner's Science Knot too. Anyone know anything about that one? "

No idea if its been approved, etc.

I did see a document on-line that gave the requirements for it. A LOT more then just getting a Doctorate in Commissioner Science. There is also commissioner tenure and service as part of it, so its very similiar to the Distinguished Commissioner Award.

• 1 year later...

To open a old thread back up,

46. Speaker Bank Award

47. Philmont Training Center Master Track Award

48. Doctorate of Commissioner Science Award

Also,

ilduncans said: "#43 -- Skipper's key -- is actually just a device (Sea Scout) on the Scouters Key (#11) -- the green and white knot ..."

What this is referring to is the old skippers key, from the the '40s and '50s. This knot was dark blue and white, instead of the current green and white.

Of the 48 knots listed, the most that you could currently officially earn and wear would be 40.

Of the other eight:

One looks to be unofficial (Antarctica).

Six are obsolete (#s 1, 2, 32, 41, 42, 43).

One is an upgrade (#45).

How many of these 40 knots can be worn with devices? Officially, that is?

struax, you said:

Lets start with the easy ones....

#2 AOL Square knot worn by Scouts and Adults alike.....

The aol knot I believe is not worn on youth uniforms at least not Boy Scouts. They I know wear the badge, the arrow.

"How many of these 40 knots can be worn with devices? Officially, that is?"

These are the knots you can wear devices with:

* Eagle (DES pin or palms)

* SM/Advisor Award of Merit (show earned as SM or Advisor)

* Scouter's Key (to show program you earned it)

* Scouter's Training Award (to show program you earned it)

* Youth Religious Award (to show level of awards)

* James E West Fellowship Award (devices to show the 2 higher levels)

* William Boyce Unit Award (to show establishing multiple units)

* Venturing Leadership Award (to show level of awards)

* Venturing Leadership Award (to show level of awards)

I understand that this can be earned on different levels: Council, Regional or National. I also understand that each is refelected by a different color on the medal which is presented, but what device accompanies these levels?