US Flag patch etiquette

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John, I don't question what that you believe that you are right but I do question your judgement in leaving the Navy to join the Army. Be that as it may I have what I consider to be an authoritative source for the dates and you only have your memories.

Gold Winger,

You said: "John, I don't question what that you believe that you are right but I do question your judgement in leaving the Navy to join the Army."

I said I left the Navy to enter the Army. Why on Earth would you question MY judgement about my career choices?

To go back to the original question here...

"the flag patch on the left sleeve of a uniform should have the union to the viewer's left while a patch on the right sleeve should be displayed with the union to the viewer's right so that, in both cases, the flag is facing forward and is streaming to the back as the person moves forward."

This came from:

http://flagandbanner.com/fab/flag.asp?cpage=etiquette1#3

To expand this a bit, it actually says:

The National Flag Foundation suggests "...we RECOMMEND that the flag patch on. . ." emphasis added

Let's look at the current version of the U.S. Flag Code as shown by the Government Printing Office:

http://www.access.gpo.gov/uscode/title4/chapter1_.html

Under Sec. 8. Respect for flag., we will find:

"(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic

uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations."

That's it. There is no specification for the manner in which the flag patch is worn.

If you want the reference for the U.S. Army, AR 670-1 is available at:

http://www.usapa.army.mil/pdffiles/r670_1.pdf

Page 241 shows:

"(2) The full-color U.S. flag cloth replica is worn so that the star field faces forward, or to the flags own right. When worn in this manner, the flag is facing to the observers right, and gives the effect of the flag flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward. The appropriate replica for the right shoulder sleeve is identified as the reverse side flag."

So, the military does it one way and the BSA does it another; both are correct. What is the fuss?

Ed P.

"What is the fuss?"

The fuss is because people think that since the Army does it one way that must be the right way.

"Why on Earth would you question MY judgement about my career choices?"

It was your choice but let's see . . . Navy: cool uniforms, girl in every port, hot showers at any time and the bounding main. Army: dull uniforms, not sure about the girls, showers few and far between and and lots of dust and dirt. :-) Of course there's the Air Force with ugly uniforms, hot showers and bowling alleys. ;-)

GoldWing,

OK, humor noted.

Had the cool uniform, girls in port, etc. I also had the coolest job and enlisted man could get, I flew in the back of helicopters and operated radar, sonar, other electronic equipment and performed anti-submarine warfare. Way Cool. After being named St. Louis MO area Navy Reserve Sailor of the Year and completing my BS degree while simultaneously enrolled in Chiropractic College, I obtained a direct commission into the Army Reserve Medical Service Corps (in the rear with the gear) and became a Second Lieutenant. I retired as a Captain. I miss the girls, the flying, cool stuff, 3 hots and a cot, didn't mind the dirt. Liked the change of pace.

I don't think it's so much that the Army does it this way, so everyone else should too. It's just the way the Army does it.