Silver/Red Loops

Hey everyone,

Right now im serving as a Chapter Cheif and next year im going to be the Lodge Secretary, im also an assistant scoutmaster with my troop (Im 18). I have a little problem. i know i should probably wear silver loops for my chapter position and then going up to the Lodge level. i believe that the silver loops should be worn my lodge offices not because it shows were they are at in the scouting program but it show someone that a new scout can talk to about the oa because when they first come in they may not recongize you as someone who can help them but when they see the silver loops they might think "ok this guy is a lodge office maybe he can help me on my brotherhood". but my scoutmaster seems to think that if i dont wear red loops it might say to the boys in the troop that im "not on the same level as them". i see his point in a way. my question is: Could i wear Silver Loops on the OA stuff and Red Loops for scouting activities outside of the OA. i dont know what to say to my scoutmaster but maybe a compromise on interchanging red and silver loops would work.

I dont want to go against my scoutmaster cause i have known him for years and see him as some what of a father figure and as an assistant scoutmaster i shouldnt conflict with him instead i should be loyal and supportive. i think that the compromise would work. but i want to know the opinion of more experinced scouter. thank you

p.s. some lodge office in my lodge where the silver loops....its not an idea i have its already some what of a stander proceedor that might be gaining more popularity with other officers. so i wrote the message above about something that is going on already and im about to go into the lodge level.

Lee,

Welcome to adulthood. Congratulations on being Lodge Secretary.

I think this is properly an LEC decision. Going with just your basic unit shirt, and red tabs, would sure save all of you the expense of setting up a de la Renta shirt to use only at your Lodge functions.

Let us know how your LEC decides :)

ICS

There is no such thing in Scouting as a "de la renta shirt". What purpose is served by making a snide and sneering back-handed comment about the Boy Scout uniform? One may have an intense personal dislike for the uniform, and one may opt to not wear it at all, but a public airing one''s personal disdain serves no purpose other than some personal satisfaction. You can disparage my face, my country, or my mother, but lay off the uniform already.

The proper combination of loops and office patch most certainly DOES "shows were they are at in the scouting program"

If you hold multiple positions (yes, it happens) then someone may, at different times, wear different combinations of loops & office patches.

For instance, if an assistant scoutmaster is also a Chapter Advisor, he ideally should have (at least) two shirts. One with his ASM patch and troop number, which he would wear red loops with. The other having his chapter advisor patch (and no unit numbers) and silver loops. He would wear the appropriate shirt depending on which role he is playing.

A lodge officer typically does not wear silver loops. There are no official office patches for them to wear, so what are they going to wear on their left sleeve? Now, I do see some Lodge Chiefs wearing silver loops and the Council Committee patch, which is appropriate, because in many councils the Lodge Chief is automatically part of that group (or is it the Council Exec Board? I don''t recall). But this not extended to the other lodge officers.

A better idea might be to ask your lodge on what policy, if any, they want lodge officers to follow to indicate who are the lodge officers at lodge functions. There are several options here other then wearing silver loops, such as a special patch to hang from the right pocket, or a special nametag or the like.

emb 21 is correct lodge officers do not wear silver loops ever, you wear the red ones, your lodge or staff advisor should have explained that to you.

F- scouter I think you went a little off on the uniform thing and it is hardly in the same line with the flag or country. Chill out a little.

Lee...

Most of us here are ADVISER age. This is a PROGRAM MEMBER decision.

Get a contest going in your lodge!

I''d also take a look at eBay, and see what various lodge, section conclave, region and NOAC patches look like. There''s a wealth of ideas out there, you just don''t have to have us grown-ups send down one "from on high."

As for me... I do like the 1965 era profile Plains Indian used on the OA handbook...