Vintage Uniforms ??

Berets...the most impractical headgear ever invented. Yes, I understand the Airborne (through the world), the Rangers, and the Green Berets wear them. They're also some of the most very elite of all our Armed Forces, including Gunny's Marines.

For Scouts, I have a simple slogan:

DING DONG THE BERET IS DEAD...THE BERET IS DEAD...THE BERET IS DEAD...

• 2 weeks later...

I keep trying to find enough pieces for a vintage (1960s early 1970s) uniform for myself. Garrison caps, neckerchiefs, kneehigh socks with garters, long pants with piping, leaders in neckties, community strips. I wouldn't wear it to most troop meetings or any district or council functions, but gathering of the ashes at summer camp feels appropriate.

I believe that the adult uniform didn't have the piping and flap over the pockets.

For parts, keep an eye on ebay. Old shirts pop up on a regular basis. I have the dark green adult uniform, I'm just waiting until I shrink engough to fit it. XL then isn't the as XL today.

If the beret is dead, so should the campaign hat. After all it is definitely a military hat, something which the scouting movement is trying to play down. "We are not a military organization, but all our leaders wear military hats and military colored uniforms. Hmmm... Kinda makes one wonder what kind of lead by example dynamic we are providing our youth.

And then there's the non-military modified salute? and the standing at attention for flag ceremonies, and all the other "we're not a military organization" types of things we do to style ourselves after the military.

Can't wear cammo pants, but you can wear a "drill sergeant's" hat.

Stosh

I have an old "puck green", I mean vintage shirt that has all of my old patches on it that I wear once in a while, and the boys love it.

I even have the red beret (which I thought was sooo cool back in the 70's, but wouldn't be caught dead in now). When my son made Star I gave him my old Star patch (which is blue) to wear and the boys love that also.

Never did like the old pants or shorts.

It is hard enough to get a boy to wear a uniform, so if he will wear a vintage one, put it on!

Jblake, everyone knows the campaign hat was originally worn by Smokey the Bear, because only YOU can prevent forest fires! Unless it is an act of God, of course. And kids don't stand at attention to salute the flag anymore. 30 seconds is far too much time for the kiddies to focus on anything besides video games!

With the right motivation, the boys can and do stand at attention for far longer than what many might want to give them credit for. I don't think many people expect much from kids. When we raise the bar and expect better, often times we get it. Never underestimate what the scouts can do.

A while back I ran into a troop from the Seattle area that instead of wearing the regular red/white numbers, they had an arrow shaped patch with their number in white on it. They said it was their orginal patch and they were "grandfathered in" using it. They said they have been chartered since the early teens.

Anyone else hear about things like this?

About wearing the older uniforms. At a ECOH sometime ago I had the honor of meeting the Eagle Scout's Grandfather who was an Eagle himself as well as a former SM back in the 30' & 40's. He wore his old dress uniform. Was it cool! SM Lapel pins, felt service stars, and the older versions of the Silver Beaver, Scouters Key and Training award. Not to mention a very colorful Veterans patch on his sleave. Of course he was wearing his Eagle too. He presented the Eagle to his grandson. How cool is that!