Vintage Uniforms ??

Are they appropriate to wear?

I rather liked the styling of my 60's uniforms. They felt good . The shirts and pants held creases well and looked sharp when ironed properly. And the fold down pocket flaps with red binding. Striking! ;)

LC

• 4 weeks later...

the "fold-down" pockets are traditionally known as mule-eared pockets. They have a better usefulness than the in-seam pockets which have a tendency to empty themselves while sitting. The mule-eared pockets button shut and are accessed at a higher angle than the in-seam pocket thus making them more secure. This might be something for modern uniform designers look into. So far only the flapped patch pockets (i.e. cargo pockets) are secure enough to retain valuables.

I think the key word here is "appropriate". Unless you are doing some kind of historical reinactment of scouting an adult leader will look ridiculous wearing pieces of a uniform from the 60''s or 70''s, and it is not setting a very good example for the boys to encourage them to wear complete, proper, and current uniforms. Besides those red berets would make anyone look like a dork, lol.

Have to agree that the red berets were "dorky", especially with the mop hairstyles of the 70s and today.

We have an elderly Scouter in our council, who has to be 85 if he''s a day. He proudly wears his vintage green uniform complete with original 1937 Jamboree patch that he earned as a young scout participant. He personally met BP, James E. West, Dan Beard, and Green Bar Bill. I would never tell this veteran Scouter that he''s "inappropriate" or a "dork."

We do have some Scouters in our council who reside in the neighboring state, but are nonetheless in our council. They refused to adopt the new CSP, and instead continue to wear the red and white strips for their city and state on the ODLR uniforms. Now, that''s inappropriate...but nonetheless none of my business.

scoutleader

That 85 year old veteran scouter is of course an exception, more power to him, he is a living piece of scouting history, I was referring to current scout leaders.

OGE, while I appreciate your passion for the red beret there is not enough panache in the world to pull that look off today, "DORK ALERT", lol. (Editorial : The word dork as it has been used here is meant in humor and not as a slur.)

• 1 month later...

My Dad was a Boy Scout in the 1930's. My 15 year old son wears a present-day uniform, with the exception of his Grandfather's merit badge sash, with his own merit badges on it replacing my Dad's.

If the uniform police wanted to take that away from him I fear they would have to pry it from his cold, dead fingers.

Because today's sash is a different color.

"while I appreciate your passion for the red beret there is not enough panache in the world to pull that look off today, "DORK ALERT", lol."

I guess that's why the 82nd Airborne wears them. Yeah, that's the ticket. They're dorks.

I wear my beret from time to time. Young guys say, "Cool!"

OGE,

I have to admit...when i read..."The red berets were cool, they looked sharp and I loved them, of course it took a real man with verve, panache and moxie to carry it off, but it can be done... " I did laugh out loud. Not at you, but with you.

I was in a corporate training class yesterday and one of the younger managers made an off hand remark at the Director sitting next to me and said..."It takes some kind of guy to wear a pink shirt".

I was thinking (as Rich replied the same...)..."It take a guy that has a lot of self confidence!"

Ya know what they said in return...? Nada. Zip. Dead silence.

Now I admit that they were phased out, but they certainly do make a statement ...

\\\\\//

-O-O-

\ ....verve, panache and moxie, no doubt!

\___/

Peace.

scoutldr wrote:

We do have some Scouters in our council who reside in the neighboring state, but are nonetheless in our council. They refused to adopt the new CSP, and instead continue to wear the red and white strips for their city and state on the ODLR uniforms. Now, that''s inappropriate...but nonetheless none of my business.

I still wear the city & state red white strips on my uniform. I have not once been told it's inappropriate. Also, our council has recently changed names. The council leadership has made it known that you do not have to change your CSP to the new one, or change your troop's flag because of the name change.

Many younger scouts in my troop and others are always facinated by the red white strips. There are more young scouts out there that like the historical things about scouting than many people think...