As an adult, what do you REALLY wear?

Class A most of the time. I have 1 switchback, 1 older style long and 1 older style short pants. Two short sleeve shirts. All patches are correct and current with the exception of the troop culture of the adult patrol patch (Zulus). I wear a bolo for troop meetings and neckerchiefs for COH and more formal occaisons. I have about three dozen hand carved slides that I use to encourage my son to wear his neckerchief. I took most to summer camp thi summer and they attracted a lot of attention. I expect to see more custom neckerchief slides within our troop.

I have several troop T-shirts and a few BSA T-shirts I wear during Class B times.

I used to wear green shorts and BSA T-shirts but for the last couple of years I only wear offical shorts. If I don't, how can I expect the boys to.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've met a lot of really great, humble volunteers who could pass as banana republic generals with all their knots and other adornments. Other folks I know wear very simple uniforms. As long as they ar

I'm a female cubmaster.  I wear my tan shirt, blue loops, Cubmaster patch, trained patch, fleur de lis with centennial ring, a 4 year service star, a wood badge patch in the temporary patch position a

I worked as a staffer for both a summer camp and a HA sea base, DE, and for national supply. So I needed uniforms over the years. So I have a bunch of uniforms. Oldest item, a  shirt is from the 1970s

Posted Images

Most meetings, traveling, etc, old style green pants and short sleeve shirt. Depending on temperature I may wear short sleeve tee shirt or either long sleeve turtle neck under it. I know, I know.. but being female, I had a hard time finding a shirt to fit and finally had one tailored, so I don't have huge wads of fabric around my waist to tuck in and being a single parent, I don't spend huge amounts on my clothes. Web belt, tennis shoes or leather boots depending on weather. First pair of socks I can find.

Occassionally end up in my normal professional work clothes, when I don't have time to change.. like last week.

When traveling, I always wear tee shirt under "Class A" so I can take it off when we start setting up tents etc.

Summer camp and on site at campout, if the troop isn't in the public, then I go with green or khaki shorts (the scout ones don't fit right.. and I hate to pay so much and have them remade to fit). and Scout tee shirt. If it is winter, I will wear my scout pants (or my other green pants if I need more than one pair) Around here, you almost always see adults and boys in jeans in camp with scout tee shirt.

A time or two I have even, (please save the flmaing arrows for ceremonies) worn an olive green skirt with my "class A" for formal things in the church (our C0) sanctuary. Sorry but I grew up wearing a dress to church and it just feels more comfortable when everyone else has on dresses and suits and ties.

Judy

Being a member of a living history Venture crew ....

Outfit #1

center seam Ligoneers, leggings, French Fly breeches, longshirt, tuque, chesnut color socks with black stripes, tuque, sash, leather belt, 3 sheath knives, powder horn, possible bag, haversack, hawk,cartridge box, wooden canteen, and the musket.....

Outfit #2

Sailors slops, sabots, dropsleeve shirt, French Marine forager cap, justicorp

Outfit #3

Highback canvas pants, flowery drop sleeve shirt, braces, vest, corduroy jacket, leather boots, tuque or slouch hat

leVoyageur,

Perfectly legitimate :), since uniforming is not a method of Venturing :)

Has your Crew settled on attire for occasions where they are "out of role", but need to be appropriately dressed (vice a workshop or sewing session at the meeting place)??

Class A shirt with official patches and hardwear, official shorts and socks. I vary with Dockers (1 or 2 dye lots off of the official color if you can even tell) which makes it easier coming from work. Brotherhood sash with the 1975 pewter NOAC medal (the only thing allowed to be worn on the sash, been there since '75). Neckers. Medals when appropriate.

Labor to Memorial Day, Class A for troop meetings, all Council, District and Lodge events, during travel to camp and events. I like wearing the neckers, but have a hard time getting others to wear them. Went out before my time and now it's like pulling teeth to get the rest to start wear them again. At least my youngest likes wearing them. But then again I'm from the old school, 60's and 70's.

Also have a jack-shirt, circa 70's with the scout patch on the front pocket and the OA Lodge patch on the back. Had a friend just give me 2 more jacks issued in '63. One with the older larger 50 MILER patch, which will stay because it belongs where it's at, and both have Bawldy Bulls, which will be removed until I make it to Philmont and the top of Bawldy. All three in mint condition.

During the summer or when at camp I wear class B. I have a nice assortment of Scouting Tees. Shorts and green socks with hikers or moc's.

ASM915...

The Bull is not for Baldy, it's for a Trek at Philmont, period. If you've not done a trek, then don't wear the Bull. If you have, do.

Nice thing about the Mountain Trek done by teens while parents are at PTC: They BACKPACK over Baldy; no side trips for them, no-sir-ee!

As a Cub Leader, I usually wear the full uniform for all Pack meetings, Den Meetings, and Leader Roundtable. I usually wear the neckerchief, but sometimes leave it off for Roundtable.

I don't wear patches that I did not earn and I don't wear my OA Lodge patch because I am not an active "dues paying" member.

I am a Comm. member and a Dad.

I wear the full uniform for 95% of the meetings.

I wear the full uniform for Camporees.

We have a Troop tee shirt for real work or play. Worn with Scout shorts. If the adults aren't going to get too dirty we wear full uniform while the kids wear class "B"

For all but high adventure type camping trips (not Camporees) our Troop wears the uniform to depart from town.

I usually only wear WB beads hardly ever the necker and woggle.

with Scout shorts I wear knee socks.

No extra or non reg patches though I would like to get a red and black rocking chair patrol patch and wear it but I won't.

I wear the full BSA uniform. Beads, shirt, belt, pants and socks with a brown suede tennis shoe for meetings and while traveling to and from outings.

After traveling to an outing, I wear clothing and footwear that is appropriate to the activity with a scouting t-shirt. Usually that includes the scout pants, belt and socks with hiking boots. Being hot natured, I don't wear the scout shirt unless needed for a flag ceremony or such.

During events such as COH's and WB reunions or beadings, I wear my WB neckerchief, woggle and beads.

In my role as Campmaster, we always wear the full uniform with a Campmaster nameplate, dark green custom should tabs with a campaign hat sewn on them and a custom Campmaster temporary patch hanging from the pocket. During down time in the Campmaster quarters, we strip off the shirt to a scout t-shirt.

The only illegal item I have is our troop's custom adult patrol patch. Not all adults get to wear these. The boys determine who is "elected" to the Duds. The patch is a lit firecracker broken in half with the NO symbol over it and the words Dud Patrol.

The adults in our troop believe in the uniform method and in setting the example.

New to Scouting and to the Troop and attempting to follow my Scoutmasters program as his ASM.

To weekly meetings.

I have been wearing the Short Sleeve shirt, Scout Bolo usually but not every time with Switchbacks - with Blue Jeans and Scout Belt when not in the Switchbacks, any socks and my ($1.00 garage sale, no visible wear even in the footbed Merrell)Grey hikers.

At Campouts.

Short Sleeve to travel, Scouting T-shirt underneath. Changeover on arrival for the sweaty work and activity uniform until ready to return. Activity uniform for campouts/ floating in our units case is any scouting t-shirt and anything goes for short, pants etc. Still wearing the Switchbacks for as long as as is practicable with one pair. Water shoes if appropriate - no open toed shoes.

At Camp.

I had only been Scouting about six weeks but had obtained Switchbacks which are the best option for me, and I attempted to wear them 75% of the time swapped with other cleaner shorts for meals, with the Short Sleeve or a responsible (D.A.R.E. camp, etc.) if not Scouting T-shirt.

For an Eagle Ceremony and some Flag Ceremonies and Roundtables I have had on the Full Uniform to include socks.

Within the troop I am already consistently more uniformed than anyone else.

My intent is to go to the complete uniform, with perhaps some trouser variation of some switchback variety(I like some of Columbias' stuff), on all occasions in a few weeks. I have a campaign hat with Standard pin for non-rain or heavy sweating events but will probably change it out with one of several patterned or non-patterned camo boonie hats for camping, hiking etc.

No unauthorized patches to date but I can already see an old goats patrol of some sort forming if only to get more adults to actually help deliver the program. Especially transportation.(This message has been edited by Gunny2862)

"The Bull is not for Baldy, it's for a Trek at Philmont, period. If you've not done a trek, then don't wear the Bull. If you have, do."

Quite true. Which is why its the Philmont Bull. There is a myth about the Philmont Bull that you can wear the tail of the Bull over the shoulder seam of the red jac-shirt if you have hiked over the Tooth of Time (or is it Baldy?), but any knowledgable Phimonter will tell you that's nonsense.

BTW, as noted you have to go on a Philmont Trek to earn the right to wear the Bull. Going to PTC (Philmont Training Center) doesn't count for that...

"BTW, as noted you have to go on a Philmont Trek to earn the right to wear the Bull. Going to PTC (Philmont Training Center) doesn't count for that..."

That's odd, when I attended training there in the 80's, I was given a Bull patch by my course director for just that reason...hmmm, I was told that since I missed the day hike to the top of "Baldy" I couldn't have the tail touch my shoulder seem. I still have my bull, but have never attached it to any jacket. I'll have to get some clarification on that.

Currently, I am a Webelos II den leader. For most meetings I wear uniform shirt, uniform long pants, and web belt (my Philmont belt from when I was 14 just doesn't seem to fit anymore). I sometimes will wear my Philmont bolo or a neckerchief with the collar turned under (grew up on the yoke collar uniforms when you had to wear the necker.) I change slides from one of serveral I have made or my original cubscout slide from the 70's. If I get home just prior to a metting I will grab my shirt and run back out.

Cub events, training, district dinners - uniform shirt and pants, web belt, and necker or bolo.

Camping - uniform shirt and pants, black crushable felt hat(similar to the expedition but cost $25), and waterproof hiking boots. Change to other clothes when time to work on dirty duties like: cutting/splitting wood, assisting with dinner preparations, fishing, etc. My pants are loose enough to fit thermal climbing pants(LL Bean use to make them) under them in the Winter.

I still wear my old Lodge flap from Nentego 20 although I am inactive and have relocated to another Council and have serveral patches instead of stead of just the Philmont Bull and OA Jacket patch on the Red Wool jacket that was my dad's. (his jacket, my patches).

After cross-over I will probably look into the switch backs, but I have a pair of pants that could pass for them, minus the belt.

So any self-avowed member of the uniform police want to count 'em up on this thread and see how many of us posters are "doing the right thing", "trying to do the right thing", and "just on on own program"?

No names please, just numbers.(This message has been edited by Gunny2862)

My uniform is the most worn piece of clothing in my closet!

As a Cubmaster, I wore the full uniform for all Pack meetings and community outings- shirt, pants, leather scout belt, socks, neckerchief, just not the hat. For formal outings such as graduation, AOL, parades, memorial and veterans day, I add the campaign hat.

During the week, I would visit and monitor den meetings at different locations. Since I was usually coming from work, I would wear my scout shirt and neckerchief and whatever pants or slacks I had on that day.

Now as a Commissioner, I always show up at an outing in full uniform. For camping, I have quite a selection of scout event tees, which I mix with scout shorts or pants and a scout ball cap or Cubscout wide brim hat. The zip off pants are quite comfortable on campouts.

CMM(This message has been edited by Cubmaster Mike)