As an adult, what do you REALLY wear?

My main uniform shirt has a couple of spoof patches om the old goat patrol being one and a curmudgeon trained strip being the other. I wear that with my switchbacks, official socks, and a scouting t-shirt underneath to trainings, most troop meetings and official functions. I have a large collection of scouting T-shirts at this point which I wear for "working" such as at the range.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've met a lot of really great, humble volunteers who could pass as banana republic generals with all their knots and other adornments. Other folks I know wear very simple uniforms. As long as they ar

I'm a female cubmaster.  I wear my tan shirt, blue loops, Cubmaster patch, trained patch, fleur de lis with centennial ring, a 4 year service star, a wood badge patch in the temporary patch position a

I worked as a staffer for both a summer camp and a HA sea base, DE, and for national supply. So I needed uniforms over the years. So I have a bunch of uniforms. Oldest item, a  shirt is from the 1970s

Posted Images

My uniform shirt (shortsleeve) is regulation except for our troops adult patrol patch (woodsman) and the Inclusive Scouting emblem I wear on my optional patch pocket. Aways wear our troop neckerchief (under collar). My largest variation from standard policy follows our troop tradition: during summer months we all wear our class B T-shirts to meetings instead of the uniform. That's our standard garb on campouts as well. I generally wear khaki cargo shorts or zip-offs during summer but wear the regulation trousers the rest of the year. Always red-top socks (I think I'm the only adult in the troop that will wear the knee socks). For traveling, troop meetings during the school year, ceremonies, district activities, and training events, always Class A. For CoHs I'll put on medals, service stars and WB beads. For national meetings I wear a business suit (ugh).

Re-reading John-in KC's post made me remember: occasionally I will wear a small enameled pin of my first lodge on the edge of my current flap. It's not regulation of course, but is sentimental to me.

(John and I were brothers in Walika Lodge in the waaaay back times)

I can't say I always wear a complete uniform,but I sure do try. This is because of an incident at a scout meeting.

The Scoutmaster was in trying to get the boys to wear the uniform mode and then calls for me to come up as an example of how to wear the uniform. Luckily, I had changed my socks to uniform ones before I came to the meeting, I almost didnt, but I did. The scoutmaster had me indicate that I had on scout socks, belt, necker, etc.

Later he said he knew he could count on me to have the complete uniform. I make sure I am complete as he has done this a few times since.

Then, a scout who is also a Crew member received his Eagle. I wore the Venturing Uniform. A scout asked why I was not wearing uniform pants, I indicated they were and he didnt belive me. I made a big show of showing him the little green Venturing symbol on the tiny tag on the venturing trousers. Then I showed him the venturing symbol on my socks and belt.

The scout acted surprised and impressed, but he still doesnt always wear a complete uniform, but I do

All meetings, traveling to camp, colors and dinner at summer camp I wear official shirt with all correct patches, bolo either OA or Eagle, official scout pants (or shorts) with official belt brass on brass. Official scout socks (knee high if I am wearing shorts) Work boots if I am camping or wearing shorts. Brown leather shoes for meetings with long pants.

During the day at camp replace official shirt with Scout polo, OA polo, Pack T-shirt, Council T-shirt, Camp T-shirt or some other scout related shirt. Sometimes I wear official pants/shorts and socks and sometimes I dont during camp. Depends how long I am camping, weather and the activity.

Coming home from camp, whatever is cleanest. :)

I'll play

Meetings- Uniform shirt (am partial to long sleeves), usual troop patches, three knots, CM patch...bolo (which is considered troop Adult neckwear, and for that matter our eagles wear eagle bolo)old BSA uniform pants- (before the patch pockets), leather BSA belt with BSA logo embossed buckle, BSA socks and brown mocks (can't seem to find Buster Browns anywhere!)

Outdoors Uniform (same field shirt as above- have three)Switchbacks (which still need some design finessing)or if the going is to be 'tough' Olive rip-stop BDU pants...my alternate class "B" is the activity shirt (one of which I keep folded in the console of my truck). Except for canoe trips I am rarely out of the field uniform...As lead "adult patrol" cook I even handle kitchen duties in uniform (have nice forest green BBQ apron)...example! example! example! (and never let them see you sweat!)

In really warm weather I switch to BSA shorts with BSA knee-high socks and approriate foot wear...rarely wear tee or short sleeve uniform shirt...I like to be able to roll down the sleeves if I am out too long in the sun or the flys start "feasting"...hard to do with a TEE....

Troop does have custom olive drab "Troop Tees" that are pretty sharp...I have one...almost brand new after five years +.

Troop policy is to always travel to and from events in full field uniform minus the "hardwear" and sashes).

anarchist

I HATED the garters and tabs! But I wore them with the uniform. Who says we haven't seen any improvements in the uniform!

I'm pretty sure Trev is talking about the current knee socks, with the red tops that fold down.

"Knee High Style. Socks are 6" x 2" ribbed knit leg with elasticized red top. Best style for hiking. Made of polyester/cotton/nylon with Terry-padded soles. Treated with Triclosan to inhibit bacterial growth."

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?ctlg=05NDC&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=UNIFORMS&C3=USOCKS&C4=&LV=3&item=BSKS&prodid=BSKS^8^05NDC&

I have two pairs of uniform shorts and a pair of pants. I always wear one of them with the field shirt and usually with an activity shirt such as a tee. I most always have scout socks on with the pants or shorts too. I have three field shirts, one long and one short with the troop insignia and one long with district insignia. At troop meetings I'll usually wear the troop neckerchief under the collar. Wood badge beads are most always worn with it. District meetings I'll wear the wood badge necker and woggle. All three shirts have all correct patches on along with the three knots I've earned so far. I usually have service stars and name tag on too, along with the OA dangle.

I have the red wool jac-shirt with the OA back badge and the scout emblem patch on front left pocket. I also have a nylon red jacket that I don't wear as much. It has a lodge back patch. My other non-conformance is I wear the expedition hat with the field uniform. I also wear a Camp Raymond belt instead of an official scout belt.

SWScouter

I try to wear the complete uniform at all Scout functions - troop meetings, pack meetings, roundtables, etc. (Well, not committee meetings, or other times when no one's in uniform.) I think the only non-standard item on my uniform is our adult patrol patch. I have several different hats, but don't wear any of them too often.

The time I find it hardest to wear the complete uniform is when we're expected to change from civilian clothes/Class B into Class A. Some people just throw on the shirt and they're ready in 15 seconds. Changing into full pants and socks takes longer and requires a private location. If you're in a hurry, it's a pain. Same thing applies at summer camp - wearing the uniform for breakfast and dinner (camp policy) can make for more complicated logistics. Also, I find the pants and socks really need washed long before the shirt does.

Full uniform, long or short sleeve depending on season, switchbacks, neckerchief, socks, brown leather footwear (boots or jungle mocs, again, depending on season), red nylon BSA jacket, and a BSA hat to cover my ever-increasing bald spot. Never any unauthorized patches. My patches are also sewn on to the exact measurements in the Uniform Guide. It is actually pretty spartan, Flag, Quality Unit bar, CSP, numerals, Lodge Flap, green ASM patch, service stars, and name tag.

1. Troop stuff. Meetings, full field uniform w/ pants, switchbacks, or shorts (mostly shorts), thorlo socks, hiking boots, beads, leather belt and buckle (wb). Camp in activity "b" only, travel in field uniform. No troop hat, prefer wide brimmed straw to protect from sun. Have troop jacket, nylon green w/ troop logo. Have Jackshirt as well, usually too heavy for So Cal.

2. District/council. Full uniform as above, for formal events have nicer uniform (own 4). When at WB functions, wear WB necker with collar turned under (to honor those that came before us).

3. Venturing, new crew still can't make up it's mind about what uniform they want, so I'm i a holding pattern.

4. OA. Full uniform, sash and necklace.

Used to have the knee socks w/ garters and tabs...still do actually. I have extradinarliy humongous calves, so they worked well for me. I use the thorlo hikers now, no need to wear knee socks.