As an adult, what do you REALLY wear?

1 hour ago, Eagledad said:

You're young and single. :laugh:

Barry

I was regretting my one uniform shirt at NYLT last week. It was a hot sweaty week. Had to scrub the black sweat stains out of the collar with 409 before washing. 

Edited by Sentinel947
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've met a lot of really great, humble volunteers who could pass as banana republic generals with all their knots and other adornments. Other folks I know wear very simple uniforms. As long as they ar

I'm a female cubmaster.  I wear my tan shirt, blue loops, Cubmaster patch, trained patch, fleur de lis with centennial ring, a 4 year service star, a wood badge patch in the temporary patch position a

I worked as a staffer for both a summer camp and a HA sea base, DE, and for national supply. So I needed uniforms over the years. So I have a bunch of uniforms. Oldest item, a  shirt is from the 1970s

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Sentinel947 said:

I'm too cheap to buy multiple shirts. One shirt to rule them all!

My first uniform as a leader in 2013 was purchased full price, new at the shop.

Now I pickup pieces as I go, used.  Can't pass up a used shirt in my size for $20 shipped, or $50 pants on clearance for $25.

With my multiple positions, I like having a uniform for my district position.  I then feel like I am over promoting myself wearing that to my unit event.  Seems weird to stand in front of den of new parents and introducing yourself as a Den leader, when you are wearing a different position patch.

1 hour ago, scotteg83 said:

My first uniform as a leader in 2013 was purchased full price, new at the shop.

Now I pickup pieces as I go, used.  Can't pass up a used shirt in my size for $20 shipped, or $50 pants on clearance for $25.

With my multiple positions, I like having a uniform for my district position.  I then feel like I am over promoting myself wearing that to my unit event.  Seems weird to stand in front of den of new parents and introducing yourself as a Den leader, when you are wearing a different position patch.

That's totally valid. I can carry the few non-troop roles I play with my troop uniform, but I can see how that'd be different in your role. 

At meetings, always the Class A shirt sans neckerchief.  I sometimes wear the pants, but sometimes I wear non-BSA shorts.

Traveling to events, we all wear Class A shirts.  Once at one of our camping events, the Class A is put away until we travel home.

I perhaps tend towards an overembelished uniform. Well uniforms because I picked up both a short sleeve and a long sleeve uniform. 

Lets see, I wear my AoL, Eagle, and den leader training knots and service star over the left pocket. I also wear an unofficial Cub Scout ring around the WOSM fleur di lis on one of my uniforms. On the right side, I’ll wear a relevant temporary patch, name plate, and 1993 jamboree patch. Left sleeve has the CSP (one of which is a wood badge csp), den leader PoR patch (one of which is the older style that only has den leader written that my mom wore many years ago), and trained patch. Left sleeve  I’ll admit I’m breaking the rules with a custom patrol patch from my wood badge patrol. 

I’ll almost always wear a necker relevant to what I’m doing most often either my troop 1 necker (till I’m done with my ticket) or the Cub Scout leader necker. 

Always scout pants or shorts. Either official scout socks or the green and red thorlo socks. If indoors a leather belt, if outdoors the webbing belt. Buckle I’ll swap out depending on what’s happening.

Headgear: either an expedition hat or a Tilley hat. I won’t not wear a wide brimmed hat for sun protection, and have an oversized head so the campaign hat just isn’t big enough. 

• Like 1

I worked as a staffer for both a summer camp and a HA sea base, DE, and for national supply. So I needed uniforms over the years. So I have a bunch of uniforms. Oldest item, a  shirt is from the 1970s. Newest item, a CU shirt is from 2009. If you take care of them, they will last. 

Normally I'm wearing a 1980- 2009 era short sleeve uniform shirt with either unit insignia or district insignia. Necker is either the troop necker or the commissioner necker. For Eagle COHs outside of my troop, I will wear my Eagle necker. In colder months I will wear long sleeve CU shirt. Camping, I wear my 1970s LS shirt with minimal bling. Most comfortable shirt I own.

With the OA, or on training staff , I am wearing a Venturing uniform, with either my OA necker, or training necker. Plus the OA sash as needed.

hats with these uniforms are either a Smokey Bear or Expedition hat.

I got 4 sets of Sea Scout uniforms, 5 if you include my old ship's sweatshirt that the wife stole ;)  1 working khaki, 1 CNT khaki, both with minimal insignia, 1 dress whites with regulation Sea Scout insignia,and 1 "blue white dress" that was the HA sea base's uniform. That shirt is a little more "embellished" than as standard Sea Scout shirt with OA flap and NSJ insignia.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm a minimalist.

I have a shirt that I bought new in '85 that finally gave out.  (Plus I'm heavier now).  Definitely got my money's worth from that one. 

Now I try to only buy things on sale or used.

Slowly working towards fewer patches.  "Newer" shirts don't have OA flaps or "Trained" patches (heresy!). 

One knot instead of four.  No service stars.  No pins of any kind.  No neckerchief.  No unit or district excellence patches.  Nothing around the world scout emblem.

• 4 weeks later...

I view adult uniform patches with utility in mind. How useful are they, and do they communicate something of value? There are patches that (I hope) instill a sense of trust in the parents of the kids in my Den. "Trained" for example. I realize it doesn't take much to get one of those, but I like that it suggest that I did something other than just buy a shirt and show up to be in a position to attempt to teach your kid something. 

Den Leader, Cub Master, etc., patches seem useful. Makes it pretty clear what each leader does, and any parent can just take a glance at your shoulder to know what you do. 

I view square knots as talking points. Kids ask about them sometimes, adults on occasion as well. And I welcome any opportunity to talk about what potentially lies ahead in Scouting for kids that stick with the program and work hard. 

• 1 month later...

I am entering my 2nd year as a DL.   When its hot I wear some green Columbia shorts.  I have pair of BSA zipoffs, but I prefer my 5.11 pants if I am wearing long pants.  Dont have to pull em up as much.  Have an AOL Knot.  Today I attended the funeral of a former Troopmaster for our Troop.  Full uniform was requested and I went out and bought a blue Cub Scout Leader neckerchief just for today so my uniform would be complete, although I did wear my 5.11 pants.

• Like 1

Hmm. I gotta admit I'm a stickler for proper uniforming, so either I wear the complete uniform or I don't wear it at all. Shirt, shorts, belt, socks, neckerchief, and hat. But I have plenty of options to mix up my look when I want to. I have three lengths of official socks - knee-high, crew length, and ankle socks (I almost ALWAYS wear the ankle socks here in sunny CA). I've got the official pants/zip-off shorts, which are not as bad as I thought they'd be, and I appreciate that they can function as pants AND shorts (again, I practically ALWAYS wear shorts since it's almost never under 75 degrees here). Then I can choose between an official tooled leather belt, or my standard green web-belt. On my shirt I wear pretty much all the bling; I work with Webelos and I consider it my job to get the boys excited for Boy Scouts, so while it isn't in my nature to do so, I make sure to wear all the patches and awards I have earned so that the boys will notice it - knots, service stars, OA flap, devices, et cetera. And then of course I NEVER leave home without my necker (I have a half-dozen to choose from, depending on the occasion) and a nice slide. That's always topped off with my campaign hat, or at times my Webelos den cap. 

• 6 months later...

I tend to wear vintage uniforms. I have a new poly-microfiber shirt that I almost never wear because it fits like a balloon, but the next size down is way too tight. For short sleeve weather, I wear old brown button, tan shirts with new patches. In long sleeve weather, I wear old green uniform shirts with red and white strip and other period appropriate patches. I collect a lot of vintage stuff on eBay, so I have a 1910-style high-collar tan tunic that I wear to outdoor events and a 1930s belted wool uniform jacket that I wear to parades and other formal events.

As far as headwear goes, I usually don’t wear anything if it’s an inside meeting, otherwise it’s a campaign hat or garrison cap. I try to match my belt with the specific era uniform I’m wearing. I do admit to wearing whatever green pants I have with the more modern uniforms due to the sizing issues I have with newer BSA pants.