As an adult, what do you REALLY wear?

1 hour ago, NJCubScouter said:

You mean the tabs were red?  The actual garter (the part that went around the leg) was brown if I recall correctly - but people didn't see that because the sock was folded over it.  They only saw the tab - which in "my day" of wearing garters and tabs (say 1972-76) - was green.  If I recall correctly.  I seem to recall that around that time, they had "reorganized" the colors so red represented Exploring.

My memory was Boy Scouts wearing green tabs. Explorers and Leadership Corps (remember those?) wore red. At least that's the way I wore them. My original socks are long gone. They were pretty thin and I seem to remember almost always wearing a short pair of wool socks over them (properly rolled or folded down to the top of my boots, of course) for any practical activity.

The elastic of my old gaters isn't in great shape, but surprisingly, it was the the little bit of faux leather holding part loop part of the hook that rotted away first. 

Between socks, garters and tabs I remember almost always finding one of them lying around when we policed our campsites before leaving for home. 

IMG_4476.JPG

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've met a lot of really great, humble volunteers who could pass as banana republic generals with all their knots and other adornments. Other folks I know wear very simple uniforms. As long as they ar

I'm a female cubmaster.  I wear my tan shirt, blue loops, Cubmaster patch, trained patch, fleur de lis with centennial ring, a 4 year service star, a wood badge patch in the temporary patch position a

I worked as a staffer for both a summer camp and a HA sea base, DE, and for national supply. So I needed uniforms over the years. So I have a bunch of uniforms. Oldest item, a  shirt is from the 1970s

Posted Images

3 hours ago, WonderBoy said:

My memory was Boy Scouts wearing green tabs. Explorers and Leadership Corps (remember those?) wore red. At least that's the way I wore them. My original socks are long gone. They were pretty thin and I seem to remember almost always wearing a short pair of wool socks over them (properly rolled or folded down to the top of my boots, of course) for any practical activity.

The elastic of my old gaters isn't in great shape, but surprisingly, it was the the little bit of faux leather holding part loop part of the hook that rotted away first. 

Between socks, garters and tabs I remember almost always finding one of them lying around when we policed our campsites before leaving for home. 

IMG_4476.JPG

Thanks WonderBoy,

HA HA HA! Yeees It's true, we always found something revising the field in the final round.

4 hours ago, WonderBoy said:

Explorers and Leadership Corps (remember those?) wore red.

I don't remember wearing red tabs as a member of the Leadership Corps.  I know there was an initial idea when the 1972 books came out that the Leadership Corps would be "accessoried" a little differently than the rest of the troop.  The one difference I remember was that the Leadership Corps would be the only ones wearing red berets.  But that only lasted a year or two.  Maybe the same was true with the red tabs.

Edited by NJCubScouter

Searching the gray cells....

As a Cub in the Panama Canal Zone, I wore the shorts, knee socks and yellow garters.  Everyone else did and we didn't think anything of it.

Moving to Arizona as a Boy Scout, we wore long pants.  A few adults wore shorts, long socks, and green garters.  Not many.  When I'm roaming the desert, I like the protection that long pants and heavy boots provide.

Leadership Corps...I was never a member, but I sure wanted to be.  By the time I was eligible, it was already fading away.  They wore the dark green shirt with the LC patch where the patrol patch would go.  All wore long pants.  Both in Arizona, for the reasons mentioned before, and in Alaska, because the mosquito is the State Bird.

On 6/19/2018 at 6:05 PM, NJCubScouter said:

I don't remember wearing red tabs as a member of the Leadership Corps.  I know there was an initial idea when the 1972 books came out that the Leadership Corps would be "accessoried" a little differently than the rest of the troop.  The one difference I remember was that the Leadership Corps would be the only ones wearing red berets.  But that only lasted a year or two.  Maybe the same was true with the red tabs.

Thanks NJ, a lot of light to my question.

On 6/19/2018 at 7:12 PM, desertrat77 said:

Searching the gray cells....

As a Cub in the Panama Canal Zone, I wore the shorts, knee socks and yellow garters.  Everyone else did and we didn't think anything of it.

Moving to Arizona as a Boy Scout, we wore long pants.  A few adults wore shorts, long socks, and green garters.  Not many.  When I'm roaming the desert, I like the protection that long pants and heavy boots provide.

Leadership Corps...I was never a member, but I sure wanted to be.  By the time I was eligible, it was already fading away.  They wore the dark green shirt with the LC patch where the patrol patch would go.  All wore long pants.  Both in Arizona, for the reasons mentioned before, and in Alaska, because the mosquito is the State Bird.

Thank you, desertrat77, great story, I would like to know the great desert of Arizona.

4 hours ago, Falconidei said:

Thank you, desertrat77, great story, I would like to know the great desert of Arizona.

Imaginate el verdor de Formosa o Corrientes. Ahora, imaginá el opuesto. Eso es.

Since it is true confession time,  I end up "profiling" other scouters I do not know by their uniforms,  for better or worse. I suspect I'm not alone in this practice. I fully embrace the reality that the uniform police do little good for the movement.

Here's a few examples:

Incomplete or Incorrect, or both: Probably not the first person I'm going to for help, or trust with their answer. I have Den leaders in this category and it's no surprise when their scouts are unruly,  ill-informed, behind on advancement, or drop out. A case of bad examples creating bad examples.

Rebel/Statement Maker: Unauthorized/ political/social items on their uniform. I'm not really clear what scouting method is in use with these silly, esoteric additions. I just assume Bozo-in-a-Bozo-uniform. I do not care what this person privately believes, or how  funny they think they are.  I'd rather see one's individuality manifest itself in creative  teaching and successful unit leadership.

Complete & correct but over-adornedProbably will trust their answer, assuming they have the time and patience to stop talking with the other square knot admirals in the room.

Complete, correct, & simple: Probably involved in scouting for reasons other than themselves. Their information and demeanor often supersedes what their uniform communicates. 

I wear a full uniform with one knot and a name tag.  I have met a few acceptations in each category.

Edited by WRW_57
2 hours ago, WRW_57 said:

Complete & correct but over-adornedProbably will trust their answer, assuming they have the time and patience to stop talking with the other square knot admirals in the room.

Hey, isn't the purpose of all those knots to say "Don't question me, I know what I'm doing?"

Cub Leader Uniform:

Setup as a Webelos Assistant Den leader.  I wear the Webelos Leader necker and webelos slide. My Boyscout hat from when I first became a Scouter (2013) with my son as a tiger  (its the older ones that fade to brown).  My shirt is a "used, new to me" black button version.  I have my AOL knot, Den Leaders Training Award, and  Scouters Training Award.  I wear these with the Zipoff BSA pants, and I have some newer Thorlo scout socks.  I also have my first JTE Gold from 2013, and my first FOS CPS from 2013 on this shirt. And my Trained patch. I wear the Cub Scout loops and red unit numbers.

Troop Leader Shirt:

Setup as an Assistant Scoutmaster.  I wear our troops neckerchief and paracord slide.  I also have a matching Troop hat.  My shirt is a newer style.  I have the same 3 knots on it.  No trained patch yet (waiting on ITOLS).  I wear the same shorts and socks (i do have multiple pairs). I wear the Troop loops and green unit numbers.

District shirt:

I am my District Program Chair.  I wear a black BSA necker (larger one), with standard metal slide.  I have a Pine Tree Council Camps Hat.  I were a long sleeve shirt (newer style with roll up sleeve tabs).  I have the same three knots, but device pins to show when I received them.  I also wear 3 year pins: orange, green, and blue.  I have a BSA nametag.  I wear these with the same shorts and socks.  I have a special Camp William Hinds CSP to show my support to our local camp.  I have the District committee patch and trained patch.  I also wear no number unit, and Silver loops.

I wear my necker and slide, ever since I took SM/ASM position training.  The one thing that stuck with me, how can you expect your scouts to wear it, if you don't.  Also, thanks to the Scout shop have some Zipoffs on clearance, I finally picked up 2 more pairs of pants since 2013.  I also have a red jacshirt when they went on clearance for 50% off. 

I also am a uniform "junkie" have have 3 extra shirts in the closet.  Haven't decided what to do with them.  Got them used at a great price.  I think I'll makeup some some minimum patches shirts to become field uniforms when I am at camp.

I'm a female cubmaster.  I wear my tan shirt, blue loops, Cubmaster patch, trained patch, fleur de lis with centennial ring, a 4 year service star, a wood badge patch in the temporary patch position above the pocket.  

I have a Wood badge custom jacket and sweatshirt that I sometimes wear.

I also have a red patagonia zip up better sweater that I sometimes wear with the uniform.  I have green uniform pants, a belt, and nice hiking shoes. 

I would like to get a name tag.

Oh, I have scout socks too!  

I should add that I walk around with terrific posture when in uniform (although sometimes I have seen myself hunching when talking to small boys, must fix that), and I hope that my great posture is a signal to other Scouters that I'm totally awesome and a confident female leader. 

Edited by WisconsinMomma
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I wear my tan shirt, a bunch of knots, troop neckerchief and green shorts.  Not the BSA ones because the legs are too long.  

I only wear my woodbadge beads, district awards  ...  at court of honor's.  

And my OA sash only at OA events.  

Only one shirt to rule them all !

4 minutes ago, mashmaster said:

I wear my tan shirt, a bunch of knots, troop neckerchief and green shorts.  Not the BSA ones because the legs are too long.  

I only wear my woodbadge beads, district awards  ...  at court of honor's.  

And my OA sash only at OA events.  

Only one shirt to rule them all !

I'm too cheap to buy multiple shirts. One shirt to rule them all!