As an adult, what do you REALLY wear?

I'm a committee member, and usually (but not always) wear a uniform to meetings. No necker (whole troop is no necker), and I confess I don't always wear the socks. I recently finally got a BSA leather belt for my regular pants--but I wear the switchbacks, too.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've met a lot of really great, humble volunteers who could pass as banana republic generals with all their knots and other adornments. Other folks I know wear very simple uniforms. As long as they ar

I'm a female cubmaster.  I wear my tan shirt, blue loops, Cubmaster patch, trained patch, fleur de lis with centennial ring, a 4 year service star, a wood badge patch in the temporary patch position a

I worked as a staffer for both a summer camp and a HA sea base, DE, and for national supply. So I needed uniforms over the years. So I have a bunch of uniforms. Oldest item, a  shirt is from the 1970s

Posted Images

Though Class A and Class B are not the correct terms, they are well-recognized so I'll use them here.

What I (Scoutmaster) wear:

Class B (Scout shorts/pants, Troop T shirt, belt and socks) to regular meetings throughout the year. Summertime exception voted on by PLC: Troop T shirt and any shorts desired to Scout meetings. They generally play Ultimate Frisbee at the end of every meeting or even for most of it during the summer, so casual uniforming standards apply from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

Class A (Scout shorts/pants, tan shirt with proper patches, belt, socks, and neckerchief): Throughout the year for SM Conferences, BORs (even though I don't sit on the BORS, I wear the full uniform on those occasions that we have a Scout having his BOR), Court of Honor, and other times when directed by PLC (special visitors, having our meeting at a public place such as attending a County Council meeting, etc.)

I also wear the full uniform (without neckerchief) for Roundtable meetings and other such adult leader meetings or trainings.

I own a full female Cub Scouter uniform (yep, that wonderful yellow blouse) that I don't think I'll ever wear again since I've been out of Cub Scouting for several years. I have one tan BS short sleeved shirt with all proper patches affixed, one pair scout shorts, one pair old style long pants and one pair new switchbacks. I wear the old style pants for formal occasions simply because I think they look better, but wear the switchbacks for everything else requiring full uniform.

I have been in one uniform or another since I was a Wolf Cub in 1974 - Cub Scout, Catholic grade school Cadet Uniform, Royal Ranger, ROTC, Army, Civil Air Patrol, Cub Scout Leader. (Hi, I'm John and I'm a joiner/uniform junkie....)

Now in my second year as a CS Leader I wear the SS shirt w/authorized patches, bolo tie, Scout web belt and either ODL shorts/pants/switchbacks (shorts), green & red socks and one of my Scouting ball caps (CRE or 100th Anniversery). Gig line is automatic as are the hunt for rapelling ropes. Fortunately, I don't have to shine my hiking boots .

At Resident,Day and Council Cub Camps I wear a Scout T-shirt (Pack/Camp) and shorts w/belt and ball cap, Scout socks and my boots. Scout shirt comes out for dinner/campfire/devotions w/bolo.

Pack camping is done in Pack t-shirt/sweatshirt, jeans or shorts as weather dictates. I'm currently trying to shed my GI gear for lighter, better stuff and will test an occasional piece on a trip.

My son grumbles, but wears the Cub uniform with the exception of the pants (although we found a cool pair of shorts that look a lot like the S2's but without long legs and that are one shade off "official" that he likes wearing.) Since he has those shorts, I bought him Cub socks to match and he's actually worn them!

Only two other leaders in our Pack wear uniform pieces, one of them was one of my Tiger Dad's last year and he went full uniform for Resident Camp with me (switchbacks). Our CM wears the shirt.

I get kidded by the other leaders for wearing the whole uniform, but I just smile and nod. It's not in me to knowingly wear a uniform incorrectly, and if I am, I'd prefer a quiet comment with a reference to guide me along the way.

My long .02.

John

Assistant Cubmaster

Pack 13

Shenandoah Area Council

• 1 month later...

Full field uniform to troop meetings and outings unless the activity requires something more appropriate.

This includes scout socks and older style pants or shorts and a cotton uni shirt at meetings and the switchbacks with a polyblend uni shirt at outings (I'm making the switchbacks last longer). Usually don't wear the scout socks at an outing. I prefer wool with a coolmax or thermalite liner.

Don't wear the uni when an activity needs something else. Wore work clothes, a polypro t-shirt and non-scout zipoffs (both treated with permethrin), during my Ordeal service project. Also wore a poncho as it was pouring rain during the project. Did you guys know that yellow jackets don't like getting inside your poncho?... little sucker got me four times before I got him. Probbably should have worn the rainsuit.(This message has been edited by MarkS)

Full official uniform for all events. Even my E-bay bought Campaign Hat that has the old $7.75 price sticker inside. I will often wear my homemade replica of my old OA totem. Leather thong, Wooden arrowhead(original was stamped metal) with 2 white bone beads, and 2 red poney beeds (These represent a brother hood member. Since I am no longer a member of my original lodge, Wulepaju Lodge #140, I cannot buy a replacment metal arrowhead, so I wittled one out of one, and painted to look like stone. The only offical neckerchief that I own that fits properly is my Woodbadge necker. I occasionaly wear it.

Hello,

for all occasions: khaki shirt with neckerchief, khaki shorts when temperatures allow with green wool knee socks and red garter flashes or khaki long trousers, mountain boots and black leather belt.

As headgear, we are transforming from the Smokey Bear hats to tan berets now as the kids don''t like the hats despite all their practicality.

Sweaters and windjackets as necessary.

best regards,

Volker

Den & Pack Meetings, PWD, and most other official events are full uniform. If it is a service project or campout, usually our class B t-shirts with jeans. Cubmasters and Asst. Cubmasters take their full uniform to campouts for cerimonies such as flag retirement and campfire.

Hello All,

I wear the following:

Den meeting: I wear the SS shirt with Council patch, pack #, Webelos leader patch, Trained patch, my nameplate with my service stars all on the right area with the official BSA wool long pants (Like the look better than the other pants.) I dont wear the socks but I guess I need to buy some.

Pack Meeting: The same uniform as above.

Roundtable: The same uniform as above.

Camping: I usually wear just my unofficial Pack baseball cap with normal clothing.

Service projects or hike: I will wear the Cub Scout polo shirt which I wear more at work then at scout event and Blue jeans or shorts.

I have the Red Jack-shirt with my NESA patch on the back for colder day and will wear it during any activity listed above when its cold.

At the Blue and Gold dinner I go all out with the Cub Scouts promise to wear their neckerchief and a clean uniform (which is hard to get them to do minus my son who wears the full uniform minus the socks.) I add my Eagle medal and Eagle neckerchief and for some reason this works and the boys look sharp.

Mark Maranto

(This message has been edited by hendrickms24)(This message has been edited by hendrickms24)

I wear the BSA green pants and the tan uniform shirt at all Council, District and Troop functions, to include travel to and from Troop camping trips. On the weekend camping trips I wear BSA shorts or pants, and a Class B Troop T-shirt, and always my hiking boots.

Committee Meetings are usually informal and are generally held at my house so I wear my casual kicking around the house clothes - no slippers or short shorts, but comfortable stuff, and sometimes I wear flip-flops.

I used to be a waist-up only leader. I tried to wear look-alike green dockers for formal occasions. I complained plenty about the old pants, and as soon as I saw the new pants, I bought some and I wear them.

I have no problem with the shirt and I wear the bolo or the necker for formal occasions. I always wear a BSA hat with the uniform. I even wear the socks.

I wear full uniform old style scout pants,shirt,socks,troop kerchief,and Belt at troop meetings. At campouts, & work outings i'll wear moss green carhart workpants, troop t-shirt, and scout shirt for transport times. A little more lax on den meetings right after work uniform shirt, and cub scout leader kerchief. always wear boots.

YIS

Doug Buth