Womens Cub Scout Uniforms

Where do I find any besides the expensive ones at the BSOA Official store?? They are so expensive there! I checked ebay and they didn't have any! We don't have an area uniform bank or closet where I live. Does anyone have a blouse they could sell or donate to me?? I wear a size 34 or small...or med. Also, I'm trying to find a shirt for my husband. He is the den leader for our son who is a Bear this year. I am his asst. Thanks so much. I've been searching all day and this is my last ditch effort to try and find a uniform or at least shirts for us!

To start off with welcome to the forum.........

OK, I'm going to let you in on a secret...... craigslist.com. When I was setting up our uniform bank I post in many cities that my pack was in need of uniforms. The response was pretty good, I posted in the sporting goods/rec section and the wanted sections. Offer to pay shipping and most people will give just give you the uniform. I ran a little campaign for a couple of weeks and I received enough uniforms for almost every kid in the pack... Good Luck

Think of your uniform as an investment - I've been a cub scout leader for 14 years. The shirt doesn't ever wear out, though I have had a few pairs of pants.

How old is your youngest son? You'll be wearing that uniform at least once a week until he is in 5th grade (or longer). (My preference is to get the khaki shirt and olive pants instead of the yellow and blue - you can wear that when your son is older and you work with the troop as well.)

I have found uniforms on ebay, but it's hit or miss.

Thanks , Pack378, for the tip about Craig's list.

I understand it's an investment but we just dont have the money...plain and simple, or I wouldn't be posting here. Sorry if you don't understand. My husband and I both are in need of uniforms and we just cant create money for them that we dont have. My husband was a leader last year and went all year without a uniform and I was hoping we could somehow find some for this upcoming year.

Thanks for all the advice. I did advertise on our Freecycle several times in the past few months before coming here. I asked about where I could buy uniforms at more of a reduced price at the scout shop and she said to just check with the Salvation Army...which I did. They didn't have anything. Well, I'm not giving up...I am trusting that God will find a way for us to get one this year.

Jeanine

More opportunities might present themselves the closer it gets to September. Keep checking ebay, the various lists, resale shops & don't forget about garage sales.

Another option might be to contact your Pack's Charter Organization. Often a CO will help out with uniform costs if asked.

I would try for just the shirt to start. It is easy to find pants close to the right color at stores.

If you don't need a uniform right this minute, keep an eye on Ebay and the like. While it is true that women's uniforms are more scarce than boys' or men's, you can still find them. I have bought several shirts that way over the years, some for under $10. You have to not be in a hurry for this though.

Also, if you still aren't sure, let me add my voice to the chorus of people advising against the yellow cub leader blouse for women. Go with the tan blouse. You'll be able to wear it longer (if you decide to become a boy scout leader, for example) and it is also easier to find.

Are there any other packs or troops in your area? If so, you might contact them to see if they have a uniform exchange that you can participate in. Or, if you go to your district roundtable meetings, you could ask people there if they know of any good local sources. Around here, for example, there's a church that frequently has extra uniforms for scouts, but Salvation Army in our area almost never has anything. I know this from talking to other leaders (and that's why I recommend roundtable).

There are currently 9 women's uniform shirts listed on eBay, some yellow, some tan. Search for Scout blouse.

Also, on ebay, once you've created an identity for yourself, you can store your searches and have the site e-mail you every day with new listings. I've had my Scout blouse search stored for more than two years. I have rarely had a day go by without new listings being mailed to me.

Thanks for all the replies. I had checked ebay before posting here. There was nothing in my size but I'll keep watching. I wonder if I just used a tan blouse and added the patches if that would work, in case I find nothing??

No

While not uniform police approved, pants in a similar color/style from a cheaper source are not really that noticeable. A jury rigged shirt is VERY noticable.

Remember, you are setting the example for your Scouts. If you can not find a uniform shirt at a price you can afford then go with a Scout t-shirt.

As has been mentioned, unless there is a pressing need for a uniform shirt RIGHT NOW, you have plenty of time to look. Keep checking back at the different sources as things change often.