What patches to wear?

John,

Thank you for the welcome. If by KC, you are from KC Missouri, I am more from a youth program that was founded in that city than Scouts. I was a scout briefly as a youth, but spent most of my time in that organization at the Chapter and State levels. Then I was a volunteer at the chapter and state level as an adult. I have found this to be a great preparation to become a DE.

Secret DE

the thing is, I see a bunch of adult leaders wearing past jambo patches and I want to show my scouting experience too. I have only been back into scouting for 1 year. I have had a 13 year gap between being a youth scout and being an adult scout. A bunch of people trip out when they see my 10 year veteran pin. They ask me all about my scouting experience. The only thing I wear from my youth now is my Philmont belt and my AOL knot (never made eagle, only life). At what point do I let my youth experiences go and focus on my adult experiences. I really thing my 1989 jambo patch would be a good conversation piece with the boys and inspire them to attend a future jamboree.

I agree with beavah: "members wear only the insignia that show their present status in the movement. Members should make every effort to keep their uniforms neat and uncluttered."

But SecretDE has a good point: "you are part of Scouting's legacy and history"

I think I am going to wear the patch, just till 2010 when I replace it with the new one!!!

Pack,

Remember that you are in life the sum of all the experiences that you have had. As an adult leader the potential you have to positively impact a youth is amazing. Being proud of your past can be one of the best examples of leadership you can give your youth today. I am a Second Class Scout, but all of the youths I deal with in my district know that I personally believe in being the best Second Class Scout I can be. All Scouters volunteers and professionals have something to bring to the table. Use your past to inspire todays youth.

Secret DE

Unless I missed it in the Insignia Guide, the only place a national jamboree patch is to be worn is OVER the right pocket, not ON the right pocket in the temporary position. If I'm in error, please correct me.

I love seeing my fellow Scouters wearing patches from jamborees past. It almost always sparks a wonderful coversation about our jambo experiences.

If you were a registered participant of a national Scout jamboree, you may permanently wear the jamboree emblem over the right pocket; you can only wear one emblem.

If you were a visitor to a jamboree, you may wear the emblem on the right pocket as a temporary insignia.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

"So I'd move a Jambo patch to the temporary spot (right pocket) a month or two after the jambo was over. Still a great conversation piece and inspiration to the lads, but also a good example in terms of humility and not usin' the uniform to be a popinjay!"

Sorry, but bad info.

Jamboree patches by and large remain above the right pocket. You do not move National Jamboree patches to the right pocket. They should stay above the pocket, regardless of when you attended the Jamboree.

Now, if you attended a World Jamboree and want to wear it on a uniform along with a National, you are required to move it to the right pocket.

FWIW, I've attended the 1981, 1989, 1993, 2001, and 2005 National Jamborees. I have one uniform each that have the older jamboree patches on them, should I wish to wear them.

Please do not insult older scouters who wish to wear a Jamboree patch from an older Jamboree in the appropriate location. You might think it makes them a show off. I think it makes you sound jealous.

"If you were a visitor to a jamboree, you may wear the emblem on the right pocket as a temporary insignia."

Slight correction to this.

ONLY if you were a visitor to the 2001 or 2005 Jamboree, and then ONLY if you are wearing the visitor Jamboree patch (these had black borders). Prior to that, visitors could not wear the Jamboree patch, regardless of where.

If you check the Insignia Guide, its clear that only registered participants and staff are entitled to wear Jamboree insignia. No mention is made of the above visitor patches...

Lauwit, wear your patches proudly. Jamboree, AoL and Eagle knot, Lodge Flap. You've earned each one and you should be proud of them. When I was a Cubmaster, I wore my Eagle knot and my 1977 Jamboree patch and the boys would aske me about them every month at the pack meetings. I never got tired of telling stories to them about my Eagle or the Jambo.

Pack378, that's a pristine patch, you must have purchased a few extras.