What patches to wear?

I was very active in Scouts as a youth and for a while during and after college. I've recently volunteered with the local troop as an ASM.

On my uniform, that amazingly enough I still fit into several years later, I have my Eagle and AoL knots, OA flap (I've paid my lodge dues), and '93 Jamboree patch (I attended as an ASM).

My thought is that by wearing the Jamboree patch it may inspire the boys to someday go to a Jamboree. But, at the same time I don't want to be seen as braggin'.

I think I'm still allowed to wear the Jambo' patch. Am I? Do you think I should, or should not, continue to wear it?

I've seen a number of Scouters wearing jamboree patches from days gone by. The Insignia Guide says "A jamboree emblem is worn above right pocket by a Boy Scout/Venturer or Scouter who is registered to attend or attended the jamboree as a registered participant or staff member."

You could also wear it on the right pocket, as ScoutNut suggests. I think you're fine either way. Makes a good conversation starter.

Oak Tree

We have one old gentleman in a neighboring troop who still proudly wears his green uniform resplendent with his original 1937 Jamboree patch which he earned as a 14 year old!

Jambo registered participants/staff can wear the appropriate patch ABOVE the right shirt pocket (not on the pocket). If you went to more than one Jambo, choose the one you like best, but only wear one. Those who merely visited a Jambo are not eligible to wear the patch.

"There is a time limit for JSP ..."

This is a common misunderstanding. Council shoulder insignia do not expire. Position insignia and jamboree unit numerals should be removed from the uniform within six months. This does not apply to council insignia (unless the patch incorporates a temporary unit numeral).

I see that within scout regulations it is legal but is it "appropriate" for an adult leader to wear a jamboree patch that he attended as a youth?

Yah, da uniform is just a tool, eh? Use it in whatever ways work for you. "Inappropriate" is probably a function of your troop's culture and the culture of your area.

Me personally, I agree with National's position (used in most of the publish document pictures) that "members wear only the insignia that show their present status in the movement. Members should make every effort to keep their uniforms neat and uncluttered."

So I'd move a Jambo patch to the temporary spot (right pocket) a month or two after the jambo was over. Still a great conversation piece and inspiration to the lads, but also a good example in terms of humility and not usin' the uniform to be a popinjay!

Beavah

So I guess I don't be understandin' da logic here, eh? The Insignia Guide tells us where the patch should be worn, if earned. Why would moving it to a different position indicate "humility"? If ya want humility, then just wear a plain shirt with nothing on it....or don't go to Jamborees. And what the heck is a "popinjay" anyway, eh?

You are all set to wear this Jambo patch on your shirt for life. I have a leader who wears a Jambo patch from a World event in the 60s. One of the interesting thing about adults and uniform options is that they are much more an expression of who they are. Did they attend a Jambo as a Kid? What programs have they been involved in and earned knots for both with and without thier children? What did they accomplish as youth members?

All these things and more can be discovered by all Scouters just by looking at the uniforms that are worn by thier peers. If it conforms to the BSA insignia guide, then wear that patch with pride! As a Jambo participant, you are part of Scouting's legacy and history. That is nothing to be ashamed of.

Secret DE

Secret DE,

Welcome to the campfires. May you get many insights into how we who are volunteers think.

Even more for us, may we get feedback (it's a gift!) from you on how the Professional Service thinks!