just a little uniform rant

"The book does prescribe the uniform but far too many don't want to buy all the parts."

Unless the book also states that it is mandatory to have all the parts specified in the book and in which combination and when they are to be worn you'll never get a uniform appearance.

best regards,

Volker

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. I suppose it makes sense to drop the term "field uniform" since no one wears it in the field and it really isn't even field worth. On the other hand, calling one specific uniform the "official uniform" implies that other uniforms are "unofficial" despite the editors claim that the "activity uniform is still an official uniform" . . . this could lead to recursion which usually causes a stack overflow and system termination. Danger! Danger!

GW,

I agree about the confusion on uniform terms. As much as the BSA says the Class A and B terms aren't part of the program, you will hear it used frequently, and it is easy for everyone to understand. If I were King, I would use the terms Dress Uniform and Camping or Outdoor Uniform.

"Hopefully, the new uniform due out soon will fix that."

Probably not. In any case, changing the uniform in an attempt to be "relevant" never accomplishes anything. The boys who want to be Scouts will join and the boys who don't want to be Scouts won't join. The style is irrelvant what matters is what the uniform represents. As long as we don't look like Ronald McDonald.

Hi beavah,

I think we have a very traditional approach towards clothing.

Advising my scouts to use climatec underwear, polypros or gore-tex jackets for our winter activities makes us stand out even more like the proverbial sore thumb in German scouting.

Most German scouts use the so-called Juja windbreaker either made from canvas or wool as an outer layer beefed up with a wool sweater or thick shirt underneath.

We teach our kids the onion-layers-principle. In wet weather, the outer layer would be a gore-tex or other waterproof suit or maybe a poncho, if dry, a windproof ripstop smock 65/35% cotton-polyester blend or 100% cotton, trousers or shorts (no 100% plastic stuff as we dont want to get shrinkwrapped near the campfire) and climatec or polypro underwear in cold weather.

I love wool, but the kids are not accustomed to it so a blend or all cotton is the choice for us.

Nobody has died on us so far, not even in winter in Norway.

best regards,

Volker

GW,

"Hopefully, the new uniform due out soon will fix that.

Probably not."

Umm, let's see, I hope that the "new" uniform will eliminate the need for so called "class A" and "class B" uniforms. There really is only 1 uniform in BSA, the field uniform, tan dress maker shirt, green pants, belt, etc. I know there is an acitivity uniform out there, I have yet to see a patrol or troop wear it in 20+ years of scouting.

I don't have a real problem with troop t-shirts, or t-shirts from camps, camp-o-rees, etc, but I find that "class B" uniforms are sub-standard except when doing real physical work that might damage the uniform shirt. I just wear my class A uniform, even camping.

The only time my boys have not seen me in the full dress uniform on any scout activity is when I'm swimming. And the only exception to that is in a rescue in whitewater rivers when I've been known to go over the side in full uniform.

Stosh