This is really good...

I have been going to the scoutstuff website regularly since April. I am looking to buy a poly/wool uniform shirt. The item has been listed as out of stock with an anticipated in stock date of late April. When that date arrived the website changed the in stock date to some time in May. This has gone on repeatedly. Let's watch, the scoutstuff website currently says that the shirts are anticipated to be in stock between 7/13/2007 and 7/31/2007. As those dates approach new in stock dates will appear that are farther in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think if you look closely at what is going on, the National Supply group is out of uniforms because of both the World Jamboree and the Canadian National Jamboree. Scouters who attend these events must have contingent uniforms to attend. Many people bring two or three uniforms. My guess is that national is just plain out of uniform shirts for that reason.

While I was in Texas for PD-L1 I was able to ask the Boy Scout division about a proposed change in uniform. They said that the push was on to have the newer switchback pants with action shirts for a class B uniform, but that our standard uniform would remain the same for an indefinite period of time. This is not to say that National won't change uniforms, but I don't expect that anytime soon.

Secret DE

ManassasEagle,

I read that as Newer might mean New and Improved rather than old and lousy. Maybe with elastic, better fabric, better fit, bigger cargo pocket, something, gee, better.

That's all.

Nessmuk - Sorry I missed your reply to me. Allow me to respond.

First, I fully support the uniform method. Nothing in my post indicated that I didn't. I was just commenting on rumors that's been floating around some folks that I know. As for supporting and wearing the uniform, our troop is the best dressed troop in our district and probably council. We always wear the full uniform (yes, socks and pants too). We do it because we are supposed to, not because we like the uniform. I am one that believes that it is totally impractical for an outdoor program, and would love to see it changed. BTW, I think a polo shirt idea would be as impractical as the current uniform, so I'm not supportive of it. I do like the activity shirt, with a short and long sleeve option.

As for the long sleeve shirt - to each his own. I personally hate long sleeve shirts except for the coldest winter days. We're not Texas, but it's usually hot and muggy here for about 3 months of the year. I probably wear long sleeve shirts for about 3-4 months in a typical year. So, yes, I take issue with your "be a real scout" comment.