This is really good...

As of the Fifth of July, Scoutstuff is reporting the following for the Boy Scout and Scouter male short sleeve shirt:

1) Item is temporarily unavailable. Anticipated in-stock date: 7/31/2007

2) Item is temporarily unavailable. Anticipated in-stock date: 7/31/2007

3) Item is temporarily unavailable. Anticipated in-stock date: 7/2/2007

4) Item is temporarily unavailable. Anticipated in-stock date: Unknown

5) Item is temporarily unavailable. Anticipated in-stock date: 7/31/2007

6) Item is temporarily unavailable. Anticipated in-stock date: Unknown

7) Item is temporarily unavailable. Anticipated in-stock date: 7/31/2007

8) Item is temporarily unavailable. Anticipated in-stock date: 7/20/2007

9) Item is temporarily unavailable. Anticipated in-stock date: 7/20/2007

10) Item is temporarily unavailable. Anticipated in-stock date: 7/20/2007

11) Item is temporarily unavailable. Anticipated in-stock date: 7/20/2007

12) Item is temporarily unavailable. Anticipated in-stock date: 7/20/2007

13) Item is temporarily unavailable. Anticipated in-stock date: 7/31/2007

14) Item is temporarily unavailable. Anticipated in-stock date: 7/31/2007

15) Item is temporarily unavailable. Anticipated in-stock date: 7/31/2007

16) Item is temporarily unavailable. Anticipated in-stock date: 7/31/2007

17) Item is temporarily unavailable. Anticipated in-stock date: 7/31/2007

18) Item is temporarily unavailable. Anticipated in-stock date: 7/31/2007

Source: http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?ctlg=05NDC&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=UNIFORMS&C3=USHIRTS&C4=&LV=3&item=BSSSS

That is every size and fabric combination on the site.

Sheesh...

Okay, rumor police beware. How does this play with the rumor about moving away from the current uniform shirt???

Some friends of mine swear that we're going to switch to something else, either a casual polo shirt or the lightweight button-up activity shirt that is on the front of this year's catalog.

Eagle in KY - The idea of the uniform is to be "uniform".. The "We're gonna do this and we're gonna do that" is another problem that is killing the uniform and the movement a piece at a time.. I am no fan of the Oscar Dela Rente uniform and the changes away from the practical and traditional... BUT I still wear the full uniform and do not make my own rules - This is another subtle lesson to the Scouts about respect and loyalty ! You are supposed to be the example.. You are subverting the methods of Scouting with your "substitite duds".

Anyway, your proposed substitute is not practical - just stylish. -- Just like Oscar was trying to be.

As far as unavailability of Short sleeve shirts - Be like a real Scout and get a long sleeve!! (o rshoudl I say "normal sleeve" - Way much more practical and useful....Any challengers on that comment ??- please feel free to step forward and state your case..

You must not live in TEXAS. We have long sleeved shirts for the winter but when its over 100 degrees outside you are going to be hard pressed to get any male boy or adult to be real excited to do anything outside in our temps in a long sleeved shirt. Short sleeved is what most need for summer wear.

Yah, this is probably just fiscal year-end inventory goin' on over the holiday.

But one can always hope! I got one of da activity shirts recently to check it out with my switchbacks. I like it. Very much what I would tend to wear as summertime field-wear while backpacking or canoeing. I'd love to see 'em go that way.

Beavah

IF the BSA were to change the uniforms, why would these be restocked in a couple of weeks? There are still some sizes left. As for Ness, well I have both long and short sleeve shirts for the changing of the seasons. I think baden is on the right trail. My workplace is dead during the usual inventory season, then the floodgates open. If I ever find a 70's green, shortsleeve uniform in my size, I am going to grow some mutton-chops and get a beret.

#1) Simple and uniform - One style shirt.

#2) Practical field wear - Arm protection - from brush, wind, sun, dirt, cold - Check out every serious resourse on practical outdoor clothing in the desert or tropics -- It all reccommends LONG SLEEVES -- That's from experience and good ole fashion common sense!

#3) When working and having a "mental fit" about heat - roll em up!! A practical BSA shirt would have Swiss tabs to support this function more neatly and uniformly.. BP says this is the sign of a "Scout getting to work" and looking at pictures (or even around the office at work ) I gotta agree. When I see other engineers, managers with their dress shirts with the sleeves rolled up, I kno wthey are probably really into something at that time.. When they are down, it's "presentation or meeting time with the boss"

#4) Short sleeves are signs of Parlour Scouting - just like the buis driver uniforms for the army and air force..

....about the "mental fit" comment, it's not a stab, it's real.. What feels best is not always best - like people who say seriously "drink some liquor to warm up" ..We shoudl all know this does just the opposite and makes temperature control more difficult for our body.

So in extreme heat, the short sleeves make you "feel cool" because you don't have that close to skin feeling of the sleeves.. But in fact if the material is properly chosen, and the shirt design/cut and size is right, long sleeves actually make you cooler. No kidding !