Uniforms for Committee Members

I feel any Scouter who works directly with the boys should wear the uniform to the best of their ability.

It lets even the newist Scout know you are supposed to be there, that you have had a commitment to the Troop, the boys, Scouting and yourself.

By wearing the uniform you show the older scouts it is not something to be outgrown.

(I had more but seem to have writers block now)

Lead by example

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Folks who find scout uniforms expensive should be aware that Scout Shops are offering a 25% off sale. (https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2019/08/19/unprecedented-scout-shop-sale-on-uniform-shirts-is-t

I see this is an old topic but it has helped me so I will respond to future noobs.  I was appointed as Committee Member Feb 2019.  I just bought my uniform today.  June 2019.  Why the delay.  I had to

Even the Fast Start video, the last time I looked at it, doesn't show the Committee, at Committee meeting, in uniform.   Committee folks attending Program events (troop meetings, camps, etc) should

I would just like to echo the idea that uniforming expectations are most likely to be satisfied if they flow from the boys than from the adults. Just ask yourself which would affect you more if you were a Committee Member helping out at a meeting: The SM approaching you to ask you to wear your uniform when working with the boys, or the SPL doing so?

Idea: If you have a registered adult who helps out but isn't fully uniformed, maybe the boys would like to present him with uniform pieces to thank him for all his work. Think he might wear them?

• 2 weeks later...

Both the troops I've served have pretty much followed LisaBob's troop's philosophy - most of the folks (adults and scouts) have most of the uniform, some of them have all of the uniform, and some have the shirt (and necker and hat, which the troop provides). We ASM-types have the entire thing, down to the socks. I'd feel uncomfortable at a scouting function in anything else:

• 11 years later...

I see this is an old topic but it has helped me so I will respond to future noobs.  I was appointed as Committee Member Feb 2019.  I just bought my uniform today.  June 2019.  Why the delay.  I had to see what my responsibilities were before I decided to what level I could commit.  If I had been told I needed to buy a uniform be an active leader up front I would have said no.  Some committee members are parents that want to support thier children's scouting ambitions and decudectovtake on additional responsibilities to support the troop.  Fantastic for them!  The troop needs them and appreciates thier level of commitment.  Clearly my Scoutmaster a fellow Army vet could see that I would drink the coolaid and become a more active uniformed member.  I even feel like he is the seasoned NCO and I am the wet behind the ears Lieutenant pestering him with my constant enthusiasm and Ideas.  And yes I even think that during a board of  review a board member in a civilian suit is one more mental preparation for that child at his first job interview which for some could be as soon as 14 years old.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I am a DL who wears my uniform to committee meetings as they are usually right at the end of den meetings.  I am in the process of forming a Scouts BSA Troop for Girls that I will be CC of.  I am already planning on putting velcro on my shirts so I can switch positions as needed.

44 minutes ago, scoutldr said:

Home Depot.  Cut it to size.

Do you have a link to the specific Velcro or Velcro-like product you use from Home Depot? All I can find are sticky squares or straps. 

In past discussions, scouters have talked about trying to match velcro to uniform colors (e.g., khaki or forest green).

If color concerns you, a solution might be clear velcro (if you can find it). Here's a link to it from Office Depot:
https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/636525/VELCRO-Brand-Clear-Hook-Loop-Fastener/;jsessionid=0000TxLKcAE5z0hiZ9EUOfOwFoH:17h4h7ceo?cm_mmc=PLA-_-Bing-_-Tape_Adhesives-_-636525

• 1 month later...

Where did the "FUN" go in scouting? Uniforms are important. But they are also EXPENSIVE. The BSA does not issue uniforms like the military. They don't provide a clothing allowance  to help defray the cost of uniform maintenance like the military.  Thay don't have the authority to sanction people for an improper uniform like the military. And, The BSA does not pay its members to join up, like the military.  In my opinion the individual scout is more important then their clothes.  I'm always glad to see a member weather or not they look like they are a model for the BSA catalog or if they are wearing Jean's and a t-shirt.  I guess my priorities differ from many, but that's how I see things.

5 hours ago, Mrjeff said:

Uniforms are important. But they are also EXPENSIVE.

At the recent Jambo, this would have been an interesting discussion, the expense of uniforming. I wonder where the BSA ranks in uniform expenses among other scouting organizations with #1 being the most thrifty and #170* being least.

* My understanding WOSM has 170 members.

20 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

At the recent Jambo, this would have been an interesting discussion, the expense of uniforming. I wonder where the BSA ranks in uniform expenses among other scouting organizations with #1 being the most thrifty and #170* being least.

* My understanding WOSM has 170 members.

I would be particularly interested in knowing the costs for scouts in Indonesia.

According to the Wikipedia page listing all those 170 members, it appears Indonesia is the country with the most active scouts at over 21 million (about 10 times more than BSA).  I don't believe Indonesia is a particularly rich country, so how the heck do that many young people  afford uniforms?

I'll admit to being a uniform avoider, even as an ASM.  (Though if I'm ever acting officially for the troop I wear it)  In my case the primary issue isn't cost, it's comfort.  The Scouts BSA shirt has got to be one of the worst designed, most uncomfortable shirts I've ever come across.  The cotton shirt is so thick it's like wearing your own personal sweatbox if you are anywhere above 70 degrees, or if you are doing anything active at all.  The microfiber shirt is so poorly fitted that it makes me look like a flying squirrel with the webbed armpits (plus, it's not particularly cool either).

If BSA would make the Scouts BSA shirt out of something like a 93% polyester/7% Lycra, and actually fit it to proper proportions for a larger guy I'd be happy to wear it all the time.

I swear it's like the uniforms are deliberately designed by someone looking to punish anyone who dares to be an overweight scouter.  Either that, or it's done by an idiot with no knowledge of human physiology who just figures the best way to size things up is to add the same amount of additional fabric to every section. (ie: if you make the torso 4" bigger around, you make the sleeves 4" bigger around)