Emergency Prep. Troop Mobil.

Does Anyone have a suggestion to help with requirement 8b. of Emergency Preparedness? It states that the scout must take part in at least one troop mobilization, but is it as simple as calling everyone and having us meet in town? Luckily we don't have a real emergency to put us though our paces. Please help. My son has been waiting for 2 years finish this badge due to this one requirement. Talk about procrastination. Thanks.

I'm sure you're going to get some great ideas on this one. Much depends on your location and the resources available. Our Troop had the county fire and rescue organization come by with their special mobilization and communication van. It's the mobil command post that goes to the sites of search and rescue incidents. Thay reviewed the actual procedures that they used, and this process was easy to duplicate on a smaller scale using the Troop and its personel. You may have to plan a meeting around a practice exercise, and use a Scout as a victim. I'm sure there will be other ideas that can work on the scale required for this requirement. Good luck.

Don't get requirement #8b confused with #5. A Troop mobilization plan is simply a plan for advising the boys of a situation (an emergency of some kind) and to coordinate a meeting place/time for some type of response.

The short answer is yes...It can be as simple as having everyone advised via a telephone tree and meeting in town at some designated point. The Emergency Preparedness merit badge book talks about such a phone tree. There is a second means, which is utilized when the phone lines are down. It requires the boys to contact one another in person via proximity. You can use either method to fulfill the requirement.

The actual response is requirement #5 (either a real emergency service project or a practice drill).