Webelos uniform

When should a webelo start wearing the khaki shirt? At the start of year 1, after awarded the webelos rank, or at the start of year 2? My son will be graduating to webelos next month and I'm not sure if we should get him the khaki shirt or just wait.

As a Webelos Scout (notice - even when we're talking about one boy this word always has an s), your son can start wearing the tan shirt and olive green pants whenever you and he wish. This choice is the family's choice, based on personal preference, whether or not he still fits in his blue shirt, and family financial circumstances. Wearing the tan/green combination is not contingent on earning of any badge, attaining any age or any criteria other than the preference of the Scout and his family. Remember that he needs to continue to wear the blue Cub Scout belt with the green pants, since the Sports and Academics belt loops will not fit on the green belt.

Sgtron116, welcome to the forum.

In the Webelos handbook, you'll see it written that what uniform your son wears is, as the others have said, your family's choice.

What I did, when my son was a Webelos, was to give him the green/tan uniform immediately after he was awarded his Webelos badge.

SWScouter

• 2 weeks later...

In our Pack, the boys go to the Khaki shirts as soon as they crossover to the Webelos Den. Families in our Pack are well aware of this way in advance with their blessings.

Yes, it is utimately a family decision, but it can also be a Pack tradition as well.

I think it depends on what the other boys in the den are wearing, and how important it is to your son to conform. It's different in each of the two packs we attend. In the small pack, none of the (3) Webelos has switched to the tan shirt yet, though one is thinking of it, as his blue shirt is getting tight. In the large pack all of the Webelos except my son have switched to the tan shirt. It doesn't bother my son that he is the only blue weeb in the den. Actually, he just completed his Webelos badge requirements, and I got him a tan shirt, mainly so he will fit in better, and there is no place left to put the Webelos badge on the blue shirt anyway.

By the time we went to tan, bought for son to wear to Webelos rank ceremony, he was just about ready to start popping buttons on his blue shirt.

He wore that tan shirt for 3 years, through the end of 8th grade.

I suggested that my Webelos den plan on a khaki shirt for their second year (they really wanted them right away) unless they grew out of their blue shirt before then.

I can live with being non-uniform while in uniform for a little while if only for the sake of the parents - myself included.

Both of our Webelos went to tan as soon as they bridged over from Bear. I'm not sure the parents had much say in it, it was precisely what their boys wanted to do. We had no Webelos before them (a couple of lean recruiting years) so they were standouts, being the only Cub Scout aged boys in tan. /smile

YiS

Michelle