temporary patch?

I believe the preferred method is sewing. Being a temporary patch one would surely never want to glue one on. Occasionally the patch will come with a loop to hang on the button and some scouts use the plastic thingy to put their patches in.

Although there is no advancement requirement or Merit Badge for sewing, it's a skill all boys should know. I teach my NBP how to thread a needle, pin and sew a patch. Boys should also be able to sew a button on and patch a tear or seam separation.

And as far as my venturing crew is concerned, learning to sew can and does save them hundreds of dollars.

Otherwise they can wait weeks for their mom's (who many can't sew either) to find someone to sew on their patches.

My boys have found some very creative ways to sew on patches, but they are the ones doing it. Some are crooked, some have the wrong color thread and some have a tendency to fall off after a couple of weeks, but they are learning and the more MB's they earn the better they'll sew.

Stosh

"can a temporary patch that goes on the right pocket be sewn on?"

Sure. In the 'old days' that was your only choice. You usually had to settle on one patch, else you were have to be doing a lot sewing and resewing.

My 'rule of thumb' when it comes to temporary patches is that if it comes with a button loop, do NOT sew it down. Button looped patches make it easy to change them. Or you could wear one for years and years. I pretty much just wear my Philmont Arrowheard (which has a loop), and only swap it out for certain occasions. The plastic patch holders are a good option for patches that don't have a loop. Again, this allows you the chance to change out what you are wearing for the occasion.

Once one gets good at it, it takes thread, scissors and a pin and one can switch out a patch in less than 5 minutes.

I have never used the plastic thingy, personally I think it looks like someone is too lazy to do it right. Ever see any other organizations dangle patches? A patch implies sewing.

Stosh