Cost of new uniform

If one were to do a little research on the topic, I do believe historically under the "A Scout is Thrifty" it explicitly states the boy is to earn his own way, especially in scouting. If the boy cannot get his spud-butt off the couch long enough to earn a little leaf-raking, snow-shoveling money, he isn't showing sufficient Scout Spirit in his everyday life.

My NBP is seriously considering the full uniform to set themselves apart from the rest of the troop. I said it was ok, but only if they earned the money themselves and they ALL did it. I also said that they could do private fund raisers as a patrol to make sure those who couldn't find opportunities on their own to raise money could do it with the teamwork assistance of the rest of the patrol.

These "historical" values once taught by the BSA need to be brought out of the closet, dusted off and put back into practice.

As far as thrifty goes, the troop leader with the pair of scout pants with a broken zipper would find it far better to have the zipper replaced for a couple of bucks than $40+ for a new pair. Lead by example. I had to buy a second shirt for Woodbadge training, so I'm good to go forever without ever having to buy another. These uniforms wear like iron. Mending them is not a problem.

Stosh

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a second scout shirt for $3 a Thrift Store. Yes, $3 and it was in very good condition.

Yes, it's a matter priorities and sport uniforms usually take precendence over Scout uniforms because the boys were involved before Scouting.

Provide a uniform closet for truly needy Scouts. Don't give it to them right away. Require them to show commitment and be active before you give them the "free" shirt. We made the mistake of giving away shirts to boys who quit Scouts withing a few weeks.

Okay, I agree...it's a matter of priorities. Not all troops require the wearing of the uniform to each meeting, though. I found that having a "Class B" shirt worn three of the meetings and "Class A's" the full uniform once per month made the boys more receptive to the notion of wearing a uniform. The idea of buying a larger uniform is a great idea!

Thanks.

We bought my son is cub scout uniform when he was a tiger. He is now a bear. He will definetly be able to wear it next year.We got his shirt one size too big and he has yet to outgrow it. He has worn it to every den and pack meeting and to two summer camps, and it is still in good shape. As far as cub scouts go the price is worth it!