Cost of new uniform

Don't get me wrong, I understand raising money for the operation of the program...but how can any of us afford a new uniform these days?

I have used and understand the concept of "experienced uniforms" but they are not always available. If we are to use the uniform as part of the program, shouldn't (we) be able afford them?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm more upset that much of our patches and uniform parts are nowmade overseas!

Check with your local service center, see what happens to "irregular" items. Check ebay and google search for used uniforms. They're out there. Maybe going to Roundtable and start an exchange, could be a WB ticket item for someone.

Much of it is in how you look at things...cost of uniforms is more "swallowable" now that it is a better product (switchback pants)...though there is still lots of room for improvement. Current scout shop prices are about what good mid-line (say, columbia) outdoor wear will cost for similar items...so you are paying IMHO a little more for a little less. (but getting better than we did in the past).

But let's look at it in a couple of ways...sometimes just talking it through makes it more easy to swallow... What are we looking at ?- $88-95.00 for pant/shirt/basic patches?

In context of a boys uniform...Thats about what most team sports uniforms cost (my son's travel soccer team hit us for about $250.00 every two years and don't even start me on what we were charged for high school wrestling uniforms).

So lets say, $95 devided by $3.00 per hour-(easily what a young boy can charge and get, for chores)... rounding, about 32 hours...that's three/four weekends of shoveling snow for neighbors, cutting lawns, clearing fence lines, painting fences, (or barns). A Fifty gallon trash can of flattened soda cans "grosses" (not nets) about $10.00 at the recycle 'stores'...collecting from the local high school lunch room or local plant/mill/mine/auto shop will take about 10-20 weeks depending -Much less for large "sites" or businesses. Then there are paper drives, part time jobs, summer jobs, allowances, and a host of local fund raisers/sales/flea markets that a kid can work at to make his money...'course the kid's gotta want to put in some effort rather than put out his hand....

If we are talking about Adults - well, most of us can scrape up a bit of money if we really, really want a new uniform...give up a few lunches, six packs of barley pop, or sodas, or cigs or movies, or a new fishing rod or weekend of hunting...give going to a few sporting events ...just make a list of vices and give up a few...sacrifice!

Or if you're like me, I have three uniforms- ("1 dress" w/switch backs and/or old style pant, one winter -old long-sleeve nice thick cotton shirt and a summer -short sleeve polyblend shirt (melts on contact with embers)only New Item was the switchbacks...and that just cause I wanted to see if they were as good as my Columbia fishing/canoeing zip offs (those cost $39.98)...(new scout pant still not as good).

The rest were yard sale and ebay found...very few bucks say five bucks a piece... some less. And one shirt still had tags on it from the scout shop! It's all in how you 'rationalize' your life/activities I guess...

And frankly, there is help, or can also be help from 'friends'...I have sent out several requests (very well answered requests) in our community for old uniforms to help "units in need" and I think it's upwards of 25 full uniforms sent in bits and pieces to several diffent locations (my good deed for the day?), So I am sure if you had the need and asked -there are scouters out there who could help...

I might even scrounge something ...though this neighborhood is getting "thin" on extra uniforms...

Anarchist

Even though I earn a good living, I am "cheap". I find the price of a Scout uniform on par with the price of other clothes that will go out of style soon. But style doesn't concern me. Never been into keeping up appearances. I recently bought on ebay 2 uniforms (irregular with the tags still on) from a woman in North Carolina for $40.00 and can't find a flaw in them. You know her if you've been there- starting price is 99 cents and has all sizes. I bought some switchbacks from National Supply and like them just fine. Will also buy a pair of regular pants and shorts at my local shop before Junes conclave. While it is pricey, they will last me for years with proper care. Just gave away a shirt that USED to fit me in 1989 to a Den Leader my wife works with and it still looked good. Darn shrinking uniforms!

I'm not an expert on materials.

Seems to me that cotton is getting a bad rap? Maybe rightly so?

I do think we need to remain a uniformed organization.

I'm just not sure what the best or what the right uniform should be or could be? I'll leave that to the people who know about that kind of stuff.

For the most part I'm happy to wear whatever uniform the uniform is or becomes.

Yes about a hundred years ago when the Scout Association in the UK, went to a dress type uniform, I went to the tailor and had a pair of Scout pants made that were flared! They looked great with my platform shoes! And no I'm not joking!!

My big gripe about the uniforms has always been the cost!!

I don't know much about how much it costs or what costs are involved in making a uniform?

My heart goes out the families where everyone is in the program. Fine for me to shell out for OJ and me, but I know of families where there are six family members all in uniform. That's some big bucks!!

Much as I hate to say it -But I can't help but think that someone some-where is making a lot of money from BSA uniforms.

Worse still at times I wonder if the BSA is in the business of providing a great program for our youth or if some how we have morphed into some kind of retail organization!

I have I think heard just about every argument for and against uniforms.

As a follower of the rules. I am happy to wear the uniform, but I'm not happy spending what they cost.

The old "Union made in the USA" was a reason that used to be given for the high cost. But if they are no longer union made in the USA? That reason no longer seems to be valid.

I know the Scouting V Sports argument is often used.

Still when I can nip down to the local store and buy five pair of shorts for the same cost as two pair of BSA Boy Scout shorts.

I'm just not happy.

I kinda feel that if the uniform were to be redesigned. A lot of people would moan and complain.

I think we are always going to have: Those who are full and correct uniform wears, partial uniform wearers and non uniform wearers.

Good thing is that as your kids get older -They get jobs and buy their own.

Strange thing is that my kid is a lot more concerned about correct and proper uniforming now that he is 18 than he ever was before!!

As for how we can afford new uniforms?

Everyone tells me that when it comes to birthdays and Christmas I'm hard to buy for?

I was happy to receive the red wool jacket a few years back. OJ wanted to more expensive wool type uniforms. I said if he gets elected OA Section Chief , I'll pay half.

Most Councils will sell uniforms to camp staff or training staffs at cost.

So quit your job take the summer off, work at camp. Get the discounted uniform, sell the cars, lose the cat and put the family on a diet!!

Wait don't -If they lose too much weight you'll end up wanting to buy smaller uniforms!!

Oh well -Back to the drawing board!

Ea.

My venturing crew's uniforms run into the hundreds of dollars. The shoes alone are a minmum of $65 and max out around $150. Coat? $65, pants, $50, leather gear $115, shirt $25, hat $40, weapon, $475, canteen $35, etc.

Not everyone is into reenacting, but nothing out there is cheap. A scout is Thrifty. He earns his own way. Whether it be a uniform shirt and patches or a full reenactor's uniform, the boy is expected to get off the sofa, away from in front of the TV/Computer, and raise the money.

I have a patrol hat that each boy has to come up with $50 to have. It's not an option if you wish to be part of that patrol. But then, you don't have to be part of the patrol either. The only stipulation is the boy has to raise the $50 on his own. He can't get it from mom and dad. I have boys waiting in line with money in hand, so there's something here that seems to be working.

Frankly, I don't think the cost of the uniform is that bad. Band hits us up for $900 for a 4 month season, and a big chunk of that is covering uniform costs. Other activities charge for activities and uniforms. A complete scout uniform is around $100, and that's with a pretty decent quality switchback pants that makes it a more year-round option.

The other thing to remember is that you seldom have to replace everything at once. Generally you'll have to replace an item every two years, which if staggered, isn't that bad.

I appreciate your commements. Sorry, after all the time I put into Scouting, I find it hard to take food from my family's mouth. Shouldn't BSA help support our country by having the uniforms made here? I am sure that there is some clothing manufacturer that would be willing to support scouting by lowering their prices...or is BSA running up the cost?

Its a problem involving the allocation of scarce resources. We all have money, more or less scarce depending on our individual situations. How we spend it is completely within our control. There are 101 ways to get a uniform. In the end, if the uniform is important to you, you will have one.

Check out thrift stores in your area. I have found some uniform shirts in good to excellent condition for about $3-$5 each. Our Pack has built up a uniform closet by doing this alone. I picked up an extra adult shirt for $3 bucks at a thrift store and it was in good condition with no stains.

The uniform is pricey, but I expect to get many years of service out of one shirt. In that regard and the time I put into Scouting, it's really not that bad.

Since my Bronze Eagle is a HS bandsman, I know about those fees too.

The only truly obnoxious uniform item in terms of cost is the Venturing pants and shorts. Gee, do I want a silly tab on the right side that is the Venturing V? ... OR, am I willing to put up with plain Cabelas' shorts or trousers, with just as good a fabric, for less than half the price?

Sorry, Supply Corporation, you lose. Venturing pants and shorts from Cabela's and REI for me, please.

"Shouldn't BSA help support our country by having the uniforms made here? I am sure that there is some clothing manufacturer that would be willing to support scouting by lowering their prices...or is BSA running up the cost?"

Unfortunately, the desire to have lower costs and to have US-made clothing are in opposition to each other. If you really want US-made clothing, the costs will almost certainly have to be higher.

Hunt, sorry, I don't agree. It is true that at this point in time it may not be probable but it never will happen unless Americans start organizing to take back our country. I know may good people that would be willing just to work in order to pay their bills but the question is: "Are there any business people willing to organize shops for the good" or must it be for high profit?

Out capitalistic society has to draw a line somewhere and being the optimist I am, it can be done.

I started scouts at age 11 and that was just about the time I began shoveling walks, raking yards and digging gardens. I held a part-time job until I went off to college.

Well, I was one of the few boys who had a full uniform, could pay for my own trips and camps, and didn't take any food off my family's table. It's call A SCOUT IS TRIFTY. The purchase of one iPod would cover a lot of expenses when it comes to BSA. Cell phone? Well, that would cover the rest.

This whole discussion is not a discussion of expenses, it's a discussion of priorities. I have Venturers who will spend a minimum of $1200-$1500 to be a part of the crew and haven't had anyone have to drop out because they couldn't afford it.

Check out the prices of hockey equipment, soccor equipment, show choir costumes, YMCA membership, etc. etc. etc. BSA is one of the least expensive of the options out there facing the kids today.