Female Adult Uniform Issue

Ok guys, let me start by saying that I think it is sweet that you are so conscious of not hurting this woman's feelings. No, I really mean that.

Then let me say that, as a woman and a scouter, I would HOPE that my "brother" scouters would tactfully let me know if there were something that was bothering them, just as they would let another male know it bothers them when he wander around with his skivvies showing or something like that. Some things require a bit of discretion but for goodness sakes, if it is bothering you that much, say something (in private) and get on with scouting. It makes no difference, by the way, whether she's a committee member, an ASM, or the SM - she's a scouter.

And finally, let me add that the uniform shirt is cut in a way that does not fit many women well. Yes, I'm talking about the female leader shirt, not the men's shirt. I know many women who find that in order to have a reasonable fit "on top" they must buy a shirt that is a size or more too big everywhere else. This leaves one to feel as though one is wearing a rather curious tent. There are solutions to this (such as getting the shirts tailored) but it would be better if a shirt that is marketed as being for female leaders displayed some evidence of having been cut to fit actual women to start with. While not an excuse for sloppy uniforming, your scouter may have just become exasperated with her shirt that day!

How can she expect the boys to follow the rules is she shows no respect for those rules. This included how the uniform is worn.

We had a leader in our area that cut her pants off and made capri pants out of them. THe new DE informed her that unless she was willing to represent the uniform properly she was not to wear any part of the uniform. Plain and simple.

I'm curious if the DE makes the same threat against anyone who isn't wearing standard uniform pants. It seems like capris would be better than blue jeans. Shorts are ok, long pants are ok, and a fashionable style in-between is not?

There's a woman in our district who is so petite that she wears a blue Cub Scout shirt. Should our DE be threatening her, too? Or even tactfully suggesting she do something different? It seems like 95% of the adults have some obvious error on their shirt - I'm happy with anyone who makes an effort to appear professional.

Oak Tree

• 1 month later...

Someone should definitely tell her that the way she is wearing the shirt is improper. Wouldn't someone correct a Scout who had his shirt on that way? On the Uniform inspection sheet for Female Leaders, the picture shows all 3 women with shirts buttoned up (except of course the very top one). Female Cub Scout leaders can wear either the yellow or tan shirt. Female Boy Scout leaders must wear the tan shirt. Again, this info is taken directly from the uniform inspection sheet.

I was a Webelos Den Leader (my son is in Boy Scouting now, YAY!). I wore the tan shirt and khaki pants, with the WDL scarf, neckerchief, and hat. I'm not exactly a petite woman by any means and needless to say, the uniform did not make me feel comfortable. However, to set a good example, I endured. All Scouting women know that the uniform is not made for us.

Lisabob hit the nail on the head - I felt like a tent wearing the man's shirt. But I wore it proudly - and buttoned up. She should wear the uniform properly or not at all.

If you look in the right hand corner of this page there is a little link that says "send page to friend" go ahead and send this thread to her and I will bet she will get the point! LOL(This message has been edited by Pack378)

• 2 weeks later...

"Someone should definitely tell her that the way she is wearing the shirt is improper. Wouldn't someone correct a Scout who had his shirt on that way?"

Would someone? That's really the question here, I think. How good is the uniforming for others in the troop, including leaders? If there are men wearing non-uniform pants without being criticized, for example, then I think it would be unfair to single her out unless there is something indecent about her attire.

A uniform by definition means one-common form/style. If people find it necessary to customize the uniform, then it is by definition no longer a uniform. No one ever said that the uniform was to be stylish or contemporary, it was only meant to be of one form. Unless everyone conFORMs (with common form) to the uniFORM (one common form) then they have defeated the purpose of what they are trying to do.

Stosh