Camp Staff Uniform

In my council, the official Camp Staff uniform is the Venturing Uniform, because everyone is automatically part of a venturing Crew. I was curious what other camps do.

Also, I was wondering what patches you can wear on the Venturing Uniform. The Boy Scout camp allows the Boy Scout patches on the Venturing Uniform (particularly the rank patch, and the numerals), so I put on the BS patches on my V. uniform. But when I started working at the Cub Scout Camp, the program director made me take off the BS patches. The only ones I could keep were the council strip, OA flap, and World Crest Emblem.

First off, the numberals are NOT specifically 'boy scout patches'. They are also used on Venturing uniforms. Also, Venturing uniform policy allows the wearing of Boy Scout rank patches. So your program director was incorrect to have you remove them. The unit numerals you should have worn would have been the unit number of your Camp Staff Venturing crew.

In one council I am in, they do the same thing. This is important, because they do have several female Venturers on staff. One thing they do (and I've seen this at other camps) is they have their own unique "camp staff" office patch, which is worn in that position. They further have arc strips to go around the camp staff office patch to indicate if you are a senior staffer, etc. Everyone wears their other patches (flap, jambo, knots, etc).

He made me take off the numerals because I put on the Boy Scout Camp's Venturing Crew # (coincidentally the Council #) because I thought that's what we did. He didn't request that I change it to the Cub Scout Camp's Venturing Crew #, he just told me to take them off, and, being a first-year, I did what he said. The Boy Scout square knots can be worn as an adult in Venturing, as well, correct?

I just bought the Insignia Guide (I tend to call myself a bit of a nerd) but I haven't had time to page through it.

"The Boy Scout square knots can be worn as an adult in Venturing, as well, correct? "

ALL square knots may be worn on any BSA uniform.

Most people will go out and get the green backed repro knots to wear on their Venturing uniform, rather then wear the tan knots. (ie Eagle Scout, AOL, Scouter's Key, Scouter's Training Award, etc).

" Venturing uniform policy allows the wearing of Boy Scout rank patches."

I agree that "ALL square knots may be worn on any BSA uniform."

But there isn't a knot for all Boy Scout rank patches.Only the Eagle Scout.

Ea.

"" Venturing uniform policy allows the wearing of Boy Scout rank patches."

I agree that "ALL square knots may be worn on any BSA uniform."

But there isn't a knot for all Boy Scout rank patches.Only the Eagle Scout. "

Eamonn-

I did not say there was a knot for all Boy Scout rank patches. Re-read what I wrote, which I will repeat:

You may wear your Boy Scout rank patch on your Venturing uniform. ALSO, all square knots may be worn on any BSA uniform, including the Venturing uniform. YOU decide what knots YOU will wear, not others.

milwscout580, When I worked on Staff we wore standard Scout uniforms. We also had t-shirts and one year had polo shirts with staff embroidery. We also had hats and neckerchiefs like most camps that said staff on them. We had to wear our camp staff name badges at all times. I had a couple of the dark green Exploring uniforms I got used for cheap-they said Boy Scouts of America over the right pocket so I put on CSP, numerals, and lodge flap. No one ever said anything about it.

The Scout camps where I do Commissioner Service at, and my son staffs at:

Daytime: BSA shorts, belt, socks, staff T-shirt. Appropriate shoes, appropriate headgear. My son and I wear plain tan boonie hats by the same folks who supply DOD (the brand is PROPPER).

Class A (certain campfires and Sunday Chapel): Uniform of current basic chartered position, whether Scout or Scouter.

Son is a camper in a neighboring council before he staffs. They wear Ventruing Green shirt and BSA green shorts. Their SE and Council Commissioner approve.

I could be wrong, and there will probably be someone following me with a quote of the regulations, but I don't think you are supposed to wear your OA Flap with a venture uniform. That in itself is a fight for another day.

"I could be wrong, and there will probably be someone following me with a quote of the regulations, but I don't think you are supposed to wear your OA Flap with a venture uniform"

You're wrong. :)

You may wear your OA Flap on the VenturING uniform. The OA even put that in their FAQ at their site.

Nothing says you can't.

(btw, its Venturing, not Venture. That's another program)

• 2 months later...

Until this year, our Council camp staff always wore the Venturing green shirt with the Boy Scout green shorts, socks, belt, etc. I never knew that was incorrect until reading posts on this forum and then checking out the insignia guide.

Interestingly, this year my younger son will be working at camp and when he got his staff packet, it very clearly stated that the activity uniform to be worn during the day is Boy Scout "Class B" - Boy Scout T-shirt, shorts, belt, socks. But for dinner, chapel, flags, campfires and OA ceremonies, the official Venturing uniform is to be worn, including the Venturing shorts and socks.

I think it's appropriate that our council camp staff actually wear the correct uniform, but, drat, here I thought we'd get off not having to buy anything new since younger son could wear older son's uniforms from when he was a staffer. Why are those Venturing socks so much more expensive than Boy Scout socks?

gwd,

It's for the same reason the Venturing pants and shorts are too D%%% expensive: Supply Corporation thinks it can make it so.

I know a Crew which chose neutral SmartWool socks as the crew sock for Classes A and B uniforms.

I know another Crew which went to Cabelas and bought their grey shorts and cargo pants.

From my experience, the SE seems to have (in practice, if not in policy) discretion on uniforms for camp staffers.

The only way you can be a member of a venturing Crew is to join a Venturing Crew. That requires that an application be filled out and a registration fee paid. You are not automatically part of a Crew just because you are on staff somewhere. If all staff members do indeed register as members of a Crew it then falls to the Officers of that Crew to decide what the Uniform shall be. The fact that milwscout580 relates that there are different Crews for different program areas makes me think that actuall registration is not being done.

LongHaul

LongHaul -

That is not necessarily the case. Councils can (in practice anyway) setup units which they charter themselves. Its common for summer camp staffs to be organized into Venturing Crews without officially filling out registration paperwork. Councils, I'm told, do this for insurance reasons, so that the staff may have a common uniform, and, from a cynical perspective, to boost their # of units. So, yes, you may be part of a Venturing crew just because you are on staff somewhere. (In my council, many scouts don't realize that they're part of these units until they request a ScoutNet printout from the council office). And, in practice, it does not necessarily fall on the officers of such a crew to decide what the uniform will be - in the case of camp staff, that is usually set by the SE or Camp Director. Perhaps this isn't the way its supposed to work, but it does indeed occur.