How 'bout a new badge?

History: four years ago, My Truly Significant Other finally admitted defeat and went to take Camp School. She has been the CSDC Director ever since, has a ball and is never without compliments for her efforts. So, that made me... whatever was needed. I have been the bugler, the Scoutcraft-Webelos-Map and Compass, campfire skit writer/director, watergames, helicopter pad director..... and when our Archery Range fellow broke his ankle, I jumped in and took the Archery Range Safety Officer training (with 3 days notice, two weeks before camp, no small distance away). I have been so tagged ever since and it's been a blast, lo these 2 years....

I have commanded archery ranges in CS camps, BS camparees, Troop overnights, Webelos Weekends, and Merit Badge Practices. Nary an errant arrow to my credit. Nary.

Now, my Council Program Director has promised me that she will arrange for me to be trained and certified as a ARSO Trainer, so I can give of my experience.

THEREFORE, (since there ain't no such thing, to my knowledge) I'd like to see how I might convince the-powers-that-be to issue a NEW BADGE:::

"the RANGE SAFETY OFFICER" badge. I figure with some clever design, it could be inclusive, or maybe include a "rocker" for the various types::: BBs, Slingshot, Archery/Cubs, Archery/BS, .22 Rifle, Shotgun, (etc.?) Make it a Jacket Badge if not on the Uni.

I think it could be a truly well earned badge.

Boy, the badge collectors could have a field day earning all the rockers for over or under the roundel.

So how do I go about getting something official established (and not just on the side)?

YiS targeted...

(This message has been edited by SSScout)

There already is a next step up it is called Shooting Sports Director and entitles one at a cub scout camp to run archery. b.b. gun and wrist rockets. A boy scout shooting sports director runs all the ranges at a boy scout camp mostly rifle, shotgun, black powder, archery and rendezvous sports. There are no badges or position patches for these positions, however the pay is outstanding. Just last summer at day camp I got a big hug from a mentally challenged young cub who just hit the bb target for the first time.

If you attend National Camp School you can buy patches there. There used to be a big patch that was OK to wear on the back of the red jacket.

While I'm sure you do a great job, which is both needed and appreciated.I'll bet that there are a lot of others who pitch in.

The people who man the First Aid Station.

The food guys/girls.

The Nature Area people.

The list could go on.

All of you deserve recognition, but a patch for each position? I'm not so sure.

Those who go above and beyond can be recognized at the District level with the District Award of Merit and for those who do so at the Council level there is the Silver Beaver.

The number of these that can be awarded is governed by the number of units in the District or Council. Our District is a small one and we can only award two District Awards of Merit each year and the Council awards four Silver Beavers.

I have served on both selection committees and it really is a hard job.

An idiot like me who was very loud and very visible tends to get recognized, because I'm very loud and visible, while very often the people who do great work behind the scenes get passed over.

I'm not so sure we need any more new badges, but I know the little guys who attend day camps have a blast and these day camps do lay the foundation for Boy Scout camps and high adventure trips that will follow.

Keep up the good work.

How about a good English Cheer?

Bravo, Bravo, Bravo-bermissimo

Bravo, Bravo, -Jolly well done!!

Ea.

SSScout

How about an American "Attaboy!" too.

Eamonn, did you say "Jolly"?

Cheers, now there's a new thread waiting to be spun. Whatever happended to cheers, the Class A clap, Class B clap and Class C clap, watermelon cheer, etc.

Gonzo

I have a Range Safety Officer Badge. It was issued to me after successfully completing RSO training through a class run by an NRA training counselor. No, it is not an official BSA patch but I do believe that my training and certification is recognized by the BSA. I am a Certified Rifle Instructor also.

"If I can "earn" a patch by writing a check, I don't see why BSA shouldn't give out patches for just about any volunteer activity."

There is a knot available for the James E. West Fellowship. To become a James E. West fellow a donation is required.

The recognition is a certificate, a pin and for uniformed Scouter's the knot.

I know some Scouter's see the donation as in some way buying the knot.

I have used the James E. West as a way of recognizing outstanding volunteers, some who are uniformed Scouter's and some who are not.

I know a lot of people who support Scouting and would like to do more but can't so they see the donation as a way of showing their support.

I'm not sure how long it has been around? But I bet the $1,000 isn't what it used to be!!

The Scout Law which we promise to keep has A Scout is kind.

I think when we sit in judgment of others and what they do, we fail to be kind. Sure I have uniforms with knots and beads and what have you. Still I was lucky I had the time and I enjoyed myself. I personally admire the Den Leader who has to make time each week for the Den meeting, then does her best to make the Leaders meeting and round table meetings to be the unsung hero.

But I also admire the busy people who sit on committees and want to do more but because of their jobs, find that donating money is their way of supporting the program.

Ea.

I wasn't referring to something like the James West Fellowship--I was thinking rather of the patch that our Council gives out for much more modest FOS donations. I wasn't really trying to be snide--rather, I was saying that when it comes to patches, let a thousand flowers bloom. There are already so many patches, I can't see the harm in creating new ones if it helps recognize and encourage a volunteer activity.

Thank you, one and all.

The training I had in Archery Range management was sufficient for what I did and served another purpose. I began to notice things with a critical eye.

When I went to other Scout activities, I often found the archery target range was being "run" by folks that had never done so before (well meaning volunteers) who had been asked "could you do this, there isn't anyone else". And so they "did their best". But my training and experience made me gringe at what I saw. No real instruction (here's an arrow, here's a bow, there's the target, have fun). Little thought as to the range layout (back of the targets toward a walkway, no safety rope around the range, etc.) Even leaving the line up of Scouts to their Scouters ( no control as to how people enter or leave the range, who gets the arrows, ). An accident waiting to happen.

Often, when I said I was a trained Range Officer, and could I help, the look of relief from the folks there was worth the price of admission, as they say.

So my question about creating a badge to earn is not just for self aggrandisement, (buy the patch?), but seeking a way to recognize a very real accomplishment and an importantly needed person. Someone to help youngsters learn how to master a DANGEROUS skill SAFELY. Any of the so called shooting sports are possibilities for injury, yes? And (Scouting is famous for this) training helps lessen the possibilities of injury by making the LEADERS and SCOUTS aware of the POSSIBILITIES, and how to avoid them. So if I can become the person to train and encourage the Archery Guy, and I can give him/her a patch to attest to his/her ability/authority, I think that's good. "All Scout Leaders should be Trained" , I think I read that somewhere.

My Council Program Director seems to be unaware of the Camp School part of my request. Perhaps that is where I should go to enlarge my scope of experience and abilities. I will call her today.

E: Thanks again for your never failing encouragement. Be advised that we always give all our CSDC adult staffers a special "staff" tee shirt and camp patch.

YiS yet