Knots/positions/shirts matching

"but is a scout leader not allowed to wear his knots on the sea scout uniform? We have a sea scout skipper in my council who has 18 knots on his sea scout uniform. "

If you check the Sea Scout Manual (which is the correct source for Sea Scout uniforming NOT the Insignia Guide), you will that in regards to knots, Sea Scout leaders can wear NO MORE then SIX (6) knots on the white and navy blue uniforms, and NO KNOTS on the tan uniform. I don't know why this restriction. I know of some Sea Scout leaders that ignore (or are unaware) of this and wear more then 6. I think the tan shirt restriction is silly, because Navy officers DO wear their ribbons on the tan (the claim is that the tan shirt is a 'work shirt' and one doesn't wear stuff like knots on them).

• 1 month later...

"Bottom line: You can wear all of your knots on any uniform."

This thread is talking about scouter uniforms, but I was actually looking to see if my son can where the square knot he received for earning God and Family RE can where it on his Boy Scout uniform. I know the Arrow of Light is the the "only award that from CS that can be worn on the Boy Scout uniform", but thought I'd read that square knots were also allowed.

Curious,

Dave

Sort of related I hope

A short time ago, I had been approved by my parish Rector to be the God and Family Counselor for two of the boys in the Den my son was in during 4th grade. Just before I started the Rector asked if I would also add the parishes Girl Scout troop in for the same class. I agreed as it was the same material, the church pays for everything and he is really a great guy and I was helping him out.

The two boys and five girls all finished up on time with very little problem. The Girl Scout Troop leader than put me in for the Praypub St Georges award and the Rector and Bishop approved it. The Rector also gave me the Adult Religous Square knot. This was done via the GSA not the BSA, yet it was administered via Praypub.

Someone at the BSA district level told me that its really a Girl scout award and therefore the square knot could not be worn on a BSA uniform.

Is this accurate?

david.self

The Youth Religious Square knot can be transferred from Cubs to Boys Scouts to Adult Leader shirts. The Scout Shop even has small devices for sale to indicate at what level they earned the award.

Not every Troop is aware of this and they just have to be told.

So few boys earn this, only 3% of all scouts, and I guess thats why its allowed to be visible.

As far as the religious knot is concerned, it can be earned repeatedly. The little device that indicates the level at which the award was earned can be done for each level of scouting. That means when the boy earns the knot as a cub, he puts the cub device on the knot. He can then re-earn it at the next higher level with the appropriate program for that age group and put a boy scout device on, etc. As an adult, the scouter who earned the award as a boy does not put the adult knot on. He retains his youth knot with devices.

Stosh

eghiglie,

It is not a scouting award at all, it is an award through your church. It is awarded for generous service to both the church and one or more of the scouting organizations. I would take my award certificate into the local Scout Shop, and purchase a knot. If the employees give you any grief over this have your rector speak the the shop manager or the Scout Executive. Congratulations and wear that knot with pride.

david.self,

The AOL is the most common CS award on a BS uniform, but there are several knots that a cub can be awarded that can be worn on the BS and even adult uniform:

Heroism Award

Honor Medal

James E. West Fellowship Award

Medal of Merit

Youth Religious Emblem

The AOL is worn as a patch or pin as a BS but then as a knot as an adult.

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

I was told at our Council Training that only 2 knots were allowed from Boy Scouts to be worn as an adult. AOL and Eagle. I have been wearing my Religious knot the whole time and nobody has said anything about that. I earned that as a youth and am wearing the color for the youth knot. I read that right off of the National website that goes over awards.

jaffolder,

Take a look over at this previous post of mine. http://tinyurl.com/36u5q6 It includes BS, CS and Venturing awards.

Just for BS it would look like this.

Eagle Scout

Heroism Award

Honor Medal

James E. West Fellowship Award

Medal of Merit

Order of the Arrow Distinguished Service Award

William T. Hornaday Medal and the badge

Youth Religious Emblem

Robert

• 2 months later...

I have 3 shirts, two tan and one for Venturing. I do wear all of my knots on all of the shirts. Again, it's personal preference. I don't know much about Sea Scouts, but imposing a limit of 6 knots on that uniform is interesting. There must some sort of rational behind it.

If anyone reading this is in Venturing, I ordered several of the matching background knots from Craig Murray's Sageventure website. The quality of the knots is excellent and the background matches perfectly with the dark green shirt. I have had several positive comments about how they look. Wearing the normal tan backgrounded knots did not look great on the green Venturing uniform.

I have 3 shirts, two tan and one for Venturing. I do wear all of my knots on all of the shirts. Again, it's personal preference. I don't know much about Sea Scouts, but imposing a limit of 6 knots on that uniform is interesting. There must some sort of rational behind it.

I'm on da other side of it, eh?

I think National is pretty clear that "members wear only the insignia that show their present status in the movement. Members should make every effort to keep their uniforms neat and uncluttered." (emphasis BSA). Da sea scout limit of six I think is in line with this, as well as the general prohibition on wearin' more than 5 medals. If yeh look at almost all of da BSA publication photos, they adhere pretty well to this rule.

So me personally, if I'm wearin' green for a Venturing function, I only wear knots appropriate to Venturin'. Nobody in Venturing needs to know I have da Scoutmaster Award of Merit or da Arrow of Light; those aren't Venturing awards, and don't convey useful information to Venturers. All they would do is make me look like a knot-bespangled popinjay, especially if I didn't have many Venturing awards, eh? :)

Some of da silver and gold tabbers who serve across different programs might have a reason to wear different program knots. Personally, when I'm under those tabs I only wear council/national knots rather than program knots. So da silver-tab uniform gets things like the District Award of Merit, Distinguished Commissioner, and Silver Beaver, but none of da program awards. A gold tab uniform should only get things like bigger silver animal knots. But a red-tab uniform doesn't get any silver critter ribbons. Keeps things neat, clean, and appropriate.

If yeh only have one uniform, a pocket full of shoulder tabs and matching knots on a pin-on device works pretty well :).

Beavah