Like or Dislike the new Scout pants?

They're not perfect, but I like them much more than the old ones. There's at least one boy in my son's troop whose whole attitude about the uniform has changed because of the new pants.

Note: if you're planning to buy a pair, make sure you try them on first--the sizes are a bit off.

I bought mine loose, airflow in summer and room to layer underneth when it cools off. Proablem is mine won't stay up using just the belt, stiched in a pair of loops on the side to hook suspenders to, maybe I should add buttons for fieldpant liners? Working on another pair of suspenders so I don't have to use the Army surplus ones.

Mostly happy though feeling the bulk and drag of the leg zippers on my legs is a little weird.

I like the design of them but I don't really care for them.

The don't fit well, the material is not the best as it is too thin and flimsy and melts if you get too close to a heat source, the leg bottoms need velcro cinch straps, and the sizes appear to be off. To me, they are very hot in warm weather (unless of course you remove the legs).

I like the pockets, and the zip-off legs feature though. I would prefer another belt, I don't like the belt or buckle that comes with them.

I think a ripstop cotton nylon material similar to military lightweight BDU pants would be a better material option.

They are a great idea, but in my opinion they need improvement.

Record two likes here my son actually asked if he could wear them home from the scout shop a first for anything with BSA on it. He has gone to several troop meetings and a fifteen mile bike ride with them on, the legs came off for the bike ride. I like the comfortable fit of not being squeezed into a overly tight pant. The leg thing does take a little getting used to but the kids are used to it the zipoff pants being very popular here in Florida. The pants have belt loops as well so you can wear any belt with them. The color match is also a little off as we had Christmas banquet/ COH last week and my sons merit badge sash looks kind of odd with the pants the colors just don't jive. How often do they put on sashes though so all around two plus votes

• 1 month later...

Well the temps are dropping into the negitive range at night so today I added the 6 buttons needed to install the army field pant liners into the Switchbacks. I stitched the buttons at the bottom of the waistband, others might have to pick a higher or lower spot, will take several fittings. Also if your not happy there is no permanent change to the pants.

Well worth the effort, now with a set of polypros underneath I'm comfy.

New surplus liner cost $20.

I wore mine at the 2nd weekend of WB last Sept. Most of the participants wearing them had the same complaint:

The shorts are too short.

As for the ladies, the inseam comes in only two sizes. For me, they are too long and too short. I wish I had purchased a pair of men's, since I have a hole on one leg hem seam now from it dragging on the ground.

The belt did not survive even one day. The end of the nylon belt started unraveling. I tried to melt the end but, it didn't work. I ended up duct taping it.

Don't sit too close to the fire. A fellow scouter did so, and the bottoms of the legs were singed and some parts of the zippers melted.

Temperature-wise they were warmer than I expected. My legs didn't get cold even last Nov. when I wore a winter coat during a parade. I have not worn them in very hot weather yet.

I did manage to spill water on them, and even in cool temperatures, they dried very fast.

I only like them better because of the pockets. I wish the grey Venturing pants were made in olive!

Three dislikes.

Material is chaffing/fraying where my backpack belt rubs on my hips.

The integrated belt is doesn't lay well in the sleeve.

The cuffs need velcro to cinch them up around your boot.

Other than that, I love them. Scouts that have them actually wear them.

Nephew still loves his new Scout pants and likes to wear them, so on that part of hitting the mark I think National was dead on for once.

However, as the laundress/seamstress I have to concur with some of the common complaints about the pants. The intergrated belt buckle clip pulled off. We have stitched it back on. As was said before, where the hip belt on his pack comes around him the pants have pilled (though Gern's choice of "chaffing" was perfect). His pant leg bottoms drag in the mud because they are a bit long, although his size 11 1/2 boots do a better job of keeping them out of the dirt than his sneakers (but does that convince him to wear his boots more? of course not). And the belt twists in its sleeve with every washing. Each Sunday its "Tia, can you help me with the fricking belt?"

From his point of view the pants are fabulous and still get the "I'd wear them to school" stamp of approval. And they are much better compared to the older ones.

YiS

Michelle

I don't own a pair yet (I purchased a look-alike about a year before these came out). But my son and many of our scouts and scouters have purchased them. Most of the boys really like them and see them as a big improvement over the old pants. The shorts are too short by their standards, but I don't know how Scouting will ever be able to keep pace with trends in that area. Hopefully you can find a pair that fits your particular tastes in looseness & length.

With that said, I think the biggest fault of them is the lack of sizing options. I have a "vertically impaired" ASM that can't find a pair that fits right. A few others have mentioned that as well. Perhaps more sizing options (with various fits and shorts lengths???) would make them even more appealing.

Our troop wears the full uniform, so our guys are happy with the improvement... now if we can get a better shirt.

I have worn the new scout pants twice and here is what I don't like. I wear about a 28" inseam, the new pants come in a 30" inseam and the leg slips down under my boot. Maybe some velcro or elastic around the bottom.

The belt is a waste of time.

Otherwise comfortable.

Ditto, tmonahan. I ordered a pair from scoutstuff.org and had to exchange them at the SCout shop for a larger size...also the shortest I could get was a 30 inch inseam and they drag the ground. I can't wear anything off the shelf and have to pay to have everything shortened...which you can't do with these because of the zipper at the cuffs. The Velcro is a good idea, maybe I'll try to add some. They do fit better through the seat and thighs than the old style, but I still like my cotton gabardine uniform from the 60's a lot better.

I give them a 7.

The belt is lame, it really doesn't hold up the pants well and the strap doesn't stay in place for size adjustment. Also hanging a leatherman on it is hard.

When converted to shorts they are too short.

Don't sit too close to the fire.

The material is great though it dries really fast and is light weight.

The pockets are also great.

I love them! Great outdoor material, regarding breathability and quick drying.

I understand that the comments about sizing are making their way up the chain, so will hopefully see more sizing options in the future.

The nylon belt and quick drain pockets were added for a reason - you can wear them right into the water. There are additional belt loops if you wish to wear another belt.

The pants legs can be shortened, if too long. Use a loop stitch just below the zipper where the legs come off. The stitch will be hidden below the flap on the upper part of the pants, if you stitch it close to the zipper.