Neckerchef, bolo tie, or nothing at all.

Although it is not clearly stated, there is is a strong implication on the Boy Scout Application that the troop decides whether to have a neckerchief at all. It identifies the non-optional parts of the uniform, and then says to check with the SM about the neckerchief--and then in the list of uniform parts, it has "neckerchief (troop option)" and neckerchief slide "if necessary."

Well if everyone is ready to give up on their neckerchiefs, then you can mail them to me. I run a small but growing NECKERCHIEF REFUGE and AMNESTY home. Here neckers from the USA may live without shame and jealousy. Like patches, neckers tell a story about who you are and where youve been. So if you are ready to send them to the home, P.M. me and I will send you my address. Two of the seniors here were Camp Staff at Watchung in the 50's!

Some of our boys wear up to 3 different neckerchiefs, depending on their responsibilities at the time. They have a troop, patrol, and fun neckerchief.

3 of the scout leaders have 2 different neckerchiefs, troop and Wood Badge, the rest wear the troop neckerchiefs.

The neckerchief is not required unless the scout wishes to get attendance for attending a meeting, participating in a BOR, COH, flag ceremony, meals, or vehicle ride to any activity. So far the boys have been really into wearing the neckerchief.

"The neckerchief is not required unless the scout wishes to get attendance for attending a meeting, participating in a BOR, COH, flag ceremony, meals, or vehicle ride to any activity. So far the boys have been really into wearing the neckerchief."

Wow, your PLC is tough! It was the PLC that decided on this requirement, right?

"The neckerchief is not required unless the scout wishes to get attendance for attending a meeting, participating in a BOR, COH, flag ceremony, meals, or vehicle ride to any activity. So far the boys have been really into wearing the neckerchief."

Wow, your PLC is tough! It was the PLC that decided on this requirement, right?

This has been the tradition of the troop for over 15 years. I really don't know who initiated the process, but it's never been questioned. I've been with the troop that long and it was a tradition at that time. It was a "suggestion" on my part to initiate a second neckerchief for each patrol and the boys promptly jumped on it and began designing it. I also said I could do iron-on transfers of their patrol emblem onto t-shirts and now they all want patrol t-shirts too. When I suggested expedition hats with cords, brass and emblems all over it including letting them know the $50 price tag, they all wanted one and had the money the next week even before I could measure up their heads and order the hats.

Esprit-de-corps and motivation... If one does not expect the best, they never get it.

Just to give this a little perspective, the honor patrol at the present time has 3 boys. 14, 13, and 12. All Star scouts with one or two more MB's for Life. One is SPL and the other two are den chiefs for two different packs in the area. They haven't decided who to invite yet from the troop to fill out their 8 member patrol.