"Any uniform part that was an official part of the uniform may be worn with the uniform"

OGE used the title phrase in the parent thread. I have no reason whatsoever to doubt it. I've heard it a number of times, so I'm convinced that it's either true or else it is another one of the many Scouting 'facts' (i.e. urban legends) that get handed down as true. My money is with OGE, and that he's right. My question is, where would that be documented? I don't see it in the Insignia Guide or in the Handbook.

And then some people add regulations about whether you can mix valid uniform parts in invalid ways. More facts? Is there a whole library of secret (or not-so-secret) controlling documents? I'd have thought that the Insignia Guide would have been the official word, but I get the sense that there's more out there somewhere.

Oak Tree

Mike Walton references this question at:

http://www.mninter.net/~blkeagle/uniform.htm

"BSA uniform policies does NOT allow for "mixing and matching" of new and previous versions of uniform parts, except for hats, neckerchiefs and socks."

He references the BSA Administration Manual and older issues of Scouting. Unfortunately, the online versions of Scouting only go back to 1998.

Ed

OGE,

The "petard" that you speak of has three alternative definitions; one of which we desperately need to understand your true meaning.

1. a bomb (known to have caused considerable discourse regarding a recent Eagle Scout BOR thread).

2. a firecracker (also outlawed by Scouting but generally regarded as youthful exuberance)

3. breaking wind (not usually discussed but then you may have broken tradition).

We are waiting for enlightenment. fb

While I have heard what OGE states many times.

I have never seen it in writing.

I'm not a big Mike Walton fan.

The link leads to a page which is full of things that are just wrong!( Some are just outdated and some were never right.)

So while I have never seen it, I also have never read that a BSA uniform has been retired or is not to be worn

Eamonn.

A reasonable person would expect that it would be permissible to wear a uniform piece purchased at the Scout Shop. When designs are revised at some point it would seem logical that it would be stated in the Insignia Guide or other publication that the an old design was not permitted, if that were the case.

In general, BSA publications say what must be done, and what may not be done. All the permissible stuff in between could not possibly be listed. Thus dont expect to find a passage anywhere that says its OK to wear discontinued uniform pieces. If at some point it becomes not permitted, it will show up in print.

Personal web sites should be taken as personal opinions. As should personal posts (such as this one) found on internet web sites.

I'm not sure where to stand on this topic. Looking at official Council websites and even in marketing materials, the Tigers are STILL shown wearing the "old" orange T-shirts. Some even show both uniforms in their marketing and sites.

I'm not sure if this has some connection to using up over-runs of marketing materials and even excess shirts at the Council stores or something, but at least the sites are running consistent with the flyers and pamphlets they are giving out.(This message has been edited by scotiacat)(This message has been edited by scotiacat)

As a scout growing up in the eighties and coming from a family of six kids all we could afford to buy me was an old 70's olive green shirt from the second hand rack of a local scout shop. Of course khaki was the official color by then. I even had community/state strips even though csp's were the norm. No one ever said the color was retired! Today I wear the green backed ASM patches on my new uniform. I miss the color of the rank badges too. Lets not forget what scouting is for-the kids! Kids pick up on politics of scouting and all they really want is to have a good time and learn something new.

I realize someone out there may have the answer but I hope it is never decided on as a hard line issue. If Scouting used potato or potatoe sacks for uniforms at one time or the other, I would not object if a Scout showed up wearing one. fb

Petard? I had never run across that word before.

It shows up as one of the WordPower entries in the (I think) current issue of Reader's Digest.

Now I see it here (and, like FB, am curious as to how one would be hung on one).

At Jamboree, one of my tentmates had 5 (five) seperate uniforms that he wore in rotation, one dating back to his Scout days, and he was rather proud of the fact that he could still (barely) wear it. Each was correct from its period, each was similar to the others, each was a Scout uniform. He had updated each with the particular adult office he might hold, except the Scout one didn't have any epaulettes. I don't know of anyone who would have challenged him for the appropriateness (or lack of) of any of them.

Epalmer84, thanks for the explanation of hoist by one's own petard. When I posted before I had a hunch that it might have a meaning similar to this, but was too lazy to look it up. And I never caught the line when last I saw Hamlet... The etymology conjures up images that I'm not sure I want to pursue, especially when linking it the the hoist phrase. OK, I'll behave now.