A Modest Proposal on Terminology

I note that there has been some disagreement here about the use of the term "Uniform Police." Some have found this term to be overly negative, but I think its real problem is its inaccuracy. The persons who have been the target of this epithet generally do not have the power to enforce the rules against the offender; rather, they simply point out, more or less publicly, the infraction. I would like to suggest new, more accurate epithets, for the persons at the extremes of this issue.

I suggest that persons who point out minor uniform infractions to persons over whom they have no authority be described as "Uniform Pharisees." This, I think, captures, the sanctimonious and picky nature of some of these criticisms. On the other hand, I suggest that persons who insist on wearing incorrect uniforms despite full knowledge be referred to as "Uniform Libertines," as they are persons not restrained by common rules and morality. Both of these terms are sufficiently pejorative, I think, and sufficiently extreme that many of us can claim to be in a moderate position between them.

May I add "Uniform Licensees?"

This would be those who take a certain level of license with the uniform, but overall try to live to the spirit of the uniform METHOD:

- I may be a RT staffer as a SECOND scouting job, but my first loyalty is to the units I'm chartered within. Thus, I wear my numerals on my RT shirt.

I have to admit, I like "Uniform Pharisees". Very apt!

SWS,

I don't think we need go there. Let's use Eamonn's son OJ as an example for the moment.

He's looking at taking his work in OA to the Regional and National levels. As he works with his peers and Advisors, he'll be working with some very successful people. He is in a place where the first impression may not matter just for Scouting, but also for his future employment.

I can see very clearly why he wants to go to poly/wool.

For most of us, wearing the standard stuff works.

"And then, of course, there is the Uniform Elite. Those scouts and scouters that always where a complete, correct and well pressed uniform. Preferring, of course, the poly/wool blend."

Don't forget the Uniform Exhibitionist, who is festooned with ribbons, lanyards, beads, knots, patches, badges, medals, special neckers, hand-carved slides, etc. This person's opposite number is the Uniform Minimalist--somebody else will have to tell you that he has the Silver Beaver, etc.

How about the uniform-hater that takes every opportunity to poke at those who wear and respect the uniform and uniform method, and goes so far as to start a thread seemingly for the sole purpose of soliciting disparaging remarks.

So what's the difference between a Uniform Libertine and a Uniform Licensee? Is it all in the mind of the wearer? Where do we draw the line?

For example, John-in-KC is wearing numerals on his RT shirt, but he seems to be fitting Hunt's definition of a libertine, since he is wearing an incorrect uniform despite full knowledge. Is an adult who wears a patrol emblem (old goat, rocking chair) a libertine? Or are they modeling the patrol method? How about an adult who switches positions three weeks before the new training...if he leaves the Trained strip on for the interim, is he a libertine or a licensee? Oooh, I can see all kinds of good pointless discussions here.

I actually think both terms work. But I think we need to add some definition around the libertine concept. At what point do you cross the line?

Oak Tree

In your own eye, you're a Uniform Licensee.

In a Uniform Pharisee's eye, you're a Uniform Libertine.

If you want to see me measure correct placement of insignia, see my Army Blue or Army Green uniform, or my BDUs (I retired just before ACUs were mandatory possession items. The last time I checked, the Boy Scouts of America were neither the Army nor the Marine Corps, in spite of the fact the de la Renta uniform is strikingly similar to one of the USMC summer service uniforms ... and that is prohibited by statute law.

Of course, that's why I think we wear the D*** colored tabs ... so we don't look like Marines.

A group of Scouts or Scouters may be "Non-uniformly uniformed" as a result of being uniformed when it comes to uniforms. I'm happy when they wear the shirt, I'm really happy when they arrive at the meeting with it tucked in.