color of patch vest?

I was wondering if the vests for patches have to be red? I know that is most common, but can something else be made? We were thinking of making Camouflage vests for our Tiger Scouts.

Is this acceptable? Thanks.

Amy at WP in NY

Hello radmom and wlcome to the forums!

Patch vests are not official uniform elements and so are subject to lots of creativity. Red is traditional for cubs, but I see no reason why the must be red. That said, I would discourage camoflage because military and quasi-military garb is not acceptable in BSA (we're not quasi-military and try to avoid the appearance).

I've heard the "no camouflage" rule other places as well, but I can't imagine that it's an actual rule.

I expect that the actual regulation being mentioned is in the Insignia Guide, page 2. "Imitation of United States Army, Navy, or Marine Corps uniforms is prohibited, in accordance with the provisions of the organization's Congressional Charter." So I guess we can presume that imitating USAF uniforms would be fine, but the rule does suggest that completely imitating the Army's all-camouflage uniform wouldn't be allowed. Camouflage vests, though? Sounds ok to me.

I do agree that there's a little bit of a military connotation to camouflage in some places. In others, I'm sure it's more of a hunting thing. Heck, the whole Boy Scout uniform has a little bit of a military feel to it. Those rows of knots look a lot like medals.

Oak Tree

On the "no camo" rule:

1. BSA does not have, as far as I have ever been able to find, a specific rule against camoflage clothing.

2. BSA does have a rule against imitating military uniforms, and many people have interpreted that as a prohibition against, at the very least, old military uniform parts, or military-style camo.

3. BSA does have rules about complete uniforms, so wearing camo pants with a BSA shirt is against this rule (although no different from blue jeans in this respect).

4. As for "civilian" or hunting camo (i.e., outerwear that is not part of the uniform), many good arguments have been made for scouts not wearing such clothing: Scouts don't hunt, there is no reason to reduce visibility on scout outings, etc.

5. Some scout camps, units, camporees, etc. have a rule against camo and have enforced the rule.

6. Who needs the headache of dealing with people who think there is a rule, or with people who think the camo is too military? For Tigers, how about bright orange? That would link up with Tiger colors, and also would make it harder for them to sneak up on you.

Qoute:

Scouts don't hunt

End Quote

I take it you're not in Georgia!

Several Scouts in my Troop have been out with their Dads and have gotten their deer already.

Granted it's not a Scout activity, but "Once a Scout, always a Scout"

:)

Thank you all for your comments. One site that told how to make the vests, quite specifically said "bright red felt".

Myself and another mom kinda wanted our Tigers to stand out, especially since BS has made the blue shirt the main part of their uniform, instead of the orange shirt. The orange really helped keep track of younger boys. We had thought of orange vests, but then it was brought up that these vests usually carry thru a boy's whole Cub Scout experience. That is why we wanted to know about other options.

We have decided to go with Scarey's idea with a twist: khaki felt with RED trim. BTW: Our troop is on a military base...West Point. Maybe Cub Scouts don't hunt, but I know lots of Boy Scouts that are old enough to go out hunting.

Thanks again!!!

Amy at WP in NY

Scary,

You win my gratitude for a great idea.

KoreaScouter,

I was thinking of twill or heavy cotton. I'm the seamstress. If I have time, I'll add a pocket. We want to present the vests to our Tigers at the holiday party on 8 Dec. I do know Scouts need a spot for their knives and such.

Thanks to all. Happy Thanksgiving.

Amy at WP in NY