Prizes for Uniform Inspections

Tonight I attended my scout's regular patrol meeting.

I have a couple of issues I would like to discuss.

First a little background, my son is one of the younger scouts who just a few months ago bridged into scouting from cub scouts after earning his arrow of light after being in cubs since tigers.

Today, one of the adults brought three small toys, nothing of significant value, to be given to the boys best in uniform. Question number 1, is this common?

To me initially, I did not think this was a bad idea, as it would serve to encourage the scouts to wear his uniform to regular scout meetings in addition to court of honors, which we all know is sometimes difficult to do.

However, the uniform inspection basically ended up with the senior patrol leader walking past the boys (no uniform inspection sheets were filled out) and picking his buddies, although it was obvious that other scouts were more correctly uniformed, yes my son was one of the most properly uniformed. When questioned, what about the other scouts made him choose them, the SPL said it was a hard choice. I again asked what was wrong with my scout's uniform so we could fix whatever needed fixing and he said, "Nothing. It was just a hard choice." So I replied, "He just isn't old enough then?" (Probably over-stepped my bounds) To which our SPL Eagle scout replied that he didn't have to be here and he could be like the other older scouts that don't come to meetings anymore (like we should be glad he is still here) and he didn't appreciate being told he was playing favorites (not his exact words but to that effect.)

My scout also asked the same question of him early, to which the SPL responded, it was his posture but he would give him bonus points next time. Hmm...

Just so you can be clear that I am not just a parent complaining about a close call during a uniform inspection, or should I say popularity contest. Only two scouts present had scout uniform pants on, (all three choosen wore jeans or kahki pants, mine had the new scout pants on.) Only one scout had on a scout hat, guess which one, yep mine. The only thing my scout did not have on was a neckercheif slide (due mainly to the fact that this is the first meeting he was allowed to wear the troop neckercheif, since he just earned it at last weeks court of honor, but it was tied neatly in a slipknot until we can get him a slide) and his merit badge sash (which it was my understanding should not be worn at regular meetings just special occasions, like court of honor.)

I talked with the other parents present and they agreed that my scout was definitely the scout in best uniform. Even an adult leader agreed, but he just said I would have to talk to the SPL since it was his decision.

My scout is very upset. He wants to impeach (his words) the SPL and wanted to call the SPL's dad (which I told him not to do right now while he is angry.)

So I guess my final question is what do I do now?

First with my scout, how can I get him to understand that although unfair that SPL did that, he should continue to do his best and wear his full uniform?

Second, what steps, if any, should I or my scout do to prevent future incidents like this from happening?

Thanks for reading and responsing to my post.

LadyJay,

Greetings!

I'm sure you will receive a lot of replies for this posting. lol

It is unfortunate that your Scout nearly had a complete uniform, and was ready for inspection but was not chosen as a recipient of the prize. A parent and Scout leader can look at this situation from a few different approaches.

All the Scouts and their leaders should always be appropriately dressed for an inspection. (but this does not always occur) Incentives work in Scout, just as they do in the blue collar and white collar work force. It would be nice, if our Scouts are inspection ready just for the accomplishment and recognition alone. But hey, we would never have the old saying about carrot in front of the horse, if that were true. The adult which brought prizes had a good idea, however the outcome may not have been what they desired.

I have a Scoutmaster friend that occasionally adds excitement to the inspection. He sets all his Scouts against the walls of the meeting hall. Then brings a bowl of candy bars to the center of the room. He then calls out, Anyone wearing official BSA socks take one step forward, Anyone wearing an official BSA web or leather belt take another step forward With a lot of laughter he and the ASMs regulate who legitimately move closer to the candy bars. Ideally, those that are fully uniform, get their choice of the candy while those not quiet in uniform pick from the scraps.

The uniform inspection sheet, is a good tool and definitely should be used most of the time. It allows for an inspector to review the standards in writing and image (without memorizing or making up their own standards) and also, allows for assigning a numerical value to the best uniforms.

The SPL is the boy leader. And an Eagle Scout is trusted to always display character. But we all are still human and can make mistakes. Without going off on the SPLs authority, Lord Acton, in a letter to Bishop Mandell Creighton, 1887. 'Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.' It is the job of the Scoutmaster to train the boy leaders within the Troop. It may be a recommendation to have three youth or three adults or three members (youth and adults) to conduct the inspection in the future, to remove the SPL as the sole judge of whom received the small toy or recognition item.

You asked, Is this common?

Well yes. Im not saying our Scouts are dogs, but like Pavlovs dog. Some troops do offer various types of incentives to encourage the Scouts to behave in a certain desirable manner. But dont most of us offer a reasonable allowance for school grades and chores at home?

You asked how can I get him to understand that although unfair that SPL did that, he should continue to do his best and wear his full uniform?

That is a difficult situation. How do you explain to your son, that life is unfair. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. Some of our Boy Scout training curriculum and sessions have gone to using movie clips or leasing movies for the training to drive a point home. (i.e. Apollo 13, Mr Hollands Opus, October Sky, Master and Commander: Far Side of the World) My offer would be to show him Charlie Brown on Wikipedia, and rent the DVD A Boy named Charlie Brown. A seasonal Christmas-time movie that drives home the same point home, Its a Wonderful Life.

You also asked what steps, if any, should I or my scout do to prevent future incidents like this from happening?

Well.. The quick answer is training. Troop Leadership Training and also New Youth Leadership Training. (in the NYLT there is a session on ethical choices, which would be nearly perfect for retraining the youth leadership on this situation).

For your specific Troop, you may attempt bringing inspection incentives that an entire patrol may enjoy, or maybe an incentive that the entire Troop may enjoy. That should remove the potential to choose just friends.

Staying on the topic of rewards and incentives. In the future, as your Scout becomes One of the older Scouts the Troop should possibly offer incentives. High Adventure Camp just for the 16-17 y/o, Summer Camp discount for the Troop Instructors, or Summer Camp Staff application endorsement.

Hope this helps!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

LadyJay, welcome to the world of Boy Scouting. Your son will find a lot of differences from his Cub Scouting experience.

This is a tough situation. I think that the adult leader who told you to talk to the SPL was wrong. The matter should have been referred to the Scoutmaster to deal with as he saw fit. His job is to coach and guide the SPL, rank notwithstanding.

Congratulations on helping your son wear the uniform correctly. He'll set an excellent example for the others.

Be careful not to be overprotective of your son. You run the risk of becoming a meddlesome parent. By all means observe, but don't sweat the small stuff. Pick the battles, so to speak, and share your concerns with the adult leadership. If the SM or his assistants don't at least give you some sense that they "hear" you, you might take your concerns to the troop committee.

But I'd wait a while and see how things develop. Every troop has its own "culture" that needs to be assimilated before newcomers feel that they have ownership.

And yes, your son needs to learn that life is not always fair. In my opinion, the earlier that lesson is learned, the more resilient and tolerant a boy will be.

Just my .02.

I want to address the issue of what do you tell the young scout and encouraging him to wear the complete uniform.

Tell the scout that you agree he got a raw deal and now its up to him to do something about it. He can either quit scouts and moan and complain about how screwed he was or he can become a model of scout uniforming to the point that no one could ever not recognize him for wearing a complete uniform. He can complain how the "big" kids always mess with the little guys and push them around or he could make it a goal that he will be elected to the SPL position and then make sure that uniform inspections are done corrrectly. One could say that he was a victim of an unfair act, either he can celebrate his victimness or he can make it a point to assure that such an event will not occur again and work towards that end. It is of such things charactor, good or bad is formed(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

"To which our SPL Eagle scout replied that he didn't have to be here and he could be like the other older scouts that don't come to meetings anymore (like we should be glad he is still here) and he didn't appreciate being told he was playing favorites (not his exact words but to that effect.)"

Yeah he shouldent really say that at all. Thats not scout like behavior.

"Just so you can be clear that I am not just a parent complaining about a close call during a uniform inspection, or should I say popularity contest. Only two scouts present had scout uniform pants on, (all three choosen wore jeans or kahki pants, mine had the new scout pants on.) Only one scout had on a scout hat, guess which one, yep mine. The only thing my scout did not have on was a neckercheif slide (due mainly to the fact that this is the first meeting he was allowed to wear the troop neckercheif, since he just earned it at last weeks court of honor, but it was tied neatly in a slipknot until we can get him a slide) and his merit badge sash (which it was my understanding should not be worn at regular meetings just special occasions, like court of honor.)"

The troop inspection is supposed to have everything on! For instance like what your scout would wear at a board of review or at a court of honor. If they were wearing any pants but the scout pants then there wrong and would not have passed the inspection or board of review.

Like now im starting to do troop inspections as a JASM and i dont give out prizes or any of that stuff. I remind them that what if this was your board of review this could have cost you a rank. To get a rank you have to be in full scout uniform. The hat is up the troop.

Sorry for spelling as i am short on time and my MS word seems to have skipped over some stuff i did the best i can editing.

Thank you