Uniform awareness presentation project

Greetings everyone! I will be putting together a presentation regarding uniforms as a ticket item for Wood Badge. I hope to have it in a format that will be useful in Roundtable, Leader specific training as well as presenting it to packs/troops/teams or crews, so I will have to have it flexible to fit all areas of scouting.

I dont want to present this in a lecture only style but hope to have interaction with the audience as well as a skit or two to keep the monotony nonexistent. I hope to use Powerpoint for parts of this as well as right/wrong examples.

I would like to invite suggestions from the forum and will listen to and consider all replies. I feel the posters here would have some constructive feedback to help guide me in this project.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the reply Gonzo1. I am open for suggestions about how to best inform scouters and scouts about the uniform as it presently exists. I hope to be able to have a whole picture of how the uniform came into use in the BSA and how it fits into the program and why we wear it and hopefully to promote more scouters as well as scouts to take pride in their uniform and wear it properly.

One of the best ways IMO is to lead by example. If you wear your uniform correctly, others will see a good example. You don't need military creases and starch, but have all the patches in the right places, correct size and fit.

When parents say to me that they won't buy the pants, that their kid can wear blue jeans instead, I ask the parent what sports the lad is involved with. Then they name ____ sport, let's say baseball. I suggest that next time junior goes to the baseball game, have him wear only the jersy. Then they say that the coach won't allow it. I ask them if it would be OK for the police to just wear his pants and shoes, but a polo shirt instead, they of course say no. Then I tell them that the uniform is the uniform. There are many low cost ways to obtain a uniform. The lad can even push a lawn mower and EARN IT.

Be sure to show the various cub uniforms.

There has been a metamorphosis over the years. Different materials, red piping at the front pocket flaps that buttoned into position. Different hats, beret, etc.

Remember the Venture uniform

Different insignia

The BSA Museum in Kentucky could possibly help too.

"Remember the Venture uniform "

What Venture uniform? You mean the brief activity shorts with the maroon Venture polo?

"The BSA Museum in Kentucky could possibly help too. "

Uh, that museum was closed down several years ago and moved to Irving (in a new building next to the National office).

I have been working off and on on a presentation for my council's University of Scouting event on uniforming.

I've tried to figure out what might be the best way of approaching it. Some ideas I had (and tossed):

* go over each area of the uniform, explaining what goes where (right sleeve, right side, etc)

* giving the participant cut outs (poster board or the like) of uniform shirts (tan boy scout, yellow cub scouter, blue cub scout, green venturer, etc), with a bunch of patches and other insignia items, let them place the items properly (they would also get a few incorrect items to see if they handle it, like putting an AOL knot in the cub scout stuff, etc)

instead, I felt a more high level one might be better, touching on:

* different BSA-approved uniforms (do you know how many there are currently?? 10. could you name them?)

* types of insignia (I have worked out 6 categories).

* top 10 uniform mistakes (based on the bad uniforming I see at scouting events), explaining what they are and why they are wrong.

* resources- insignia guide, inspection sheets, etc

Gonzo1; great feedback! thanks again for some good ideas.

Emb021; Also some very good points, I especially like the 10 current uniforms, but I'm not sure I could list all 10 but I'll give it a shot.

1.) Tiger Cubs Blue uniform w/Tiger specific cap,neckerchief,slide,belt buckle.

2.)Cub Scout-Wolf Blue uniform w/Wolf specific cap,neckerchief,slide,belt buckle.

3.)Cub Scout-Bear Blue uniform w/Bear specific cap,neckerchief,slide,belt buckle.

4.)Webelos Scout Tan/Olive uniform w/Webelos specific cap,neckerchief,slide,buckle

5.)Cub Scout leader Tan/Olive uniform (Male/Female).

6.)Cub Scout leader Yellow/Blue uniform (female only).

7.)Boy Scout youth or adult member Tan/Olive uniform.

8.)Venturers youth or adult member Green/Gray uniform.

9.)Sea Scouts youth Blue/White/chambray-denim uniform(s).

10.)Sea Scouts adult advisor Blue/White/Khaki uniform(s).

Am I right ? or wrong?

One day two of Wood Badge you played the "Wood Badge Game Show". One of the sections was on uniforming.

You could probably get a copy of the questions and develop more and do a game show of your own. Or make a new one using the questions and Gonzo1 and emb021 suggestions mentioned above. Be creative.

But remember, what is your Vision and how will all of this achieve that.

Good Luck!

Then, when you think you're finally finished, rehearse your presentation. Then rehearse it again about 5-10 times so that you own the material. Present it to your spouse, a couple of patrol members, your coach counsellor (that's what we called them) and THEN, make your presentations public. Rehearsing allows you to refine the presentation, field questions and be ready with answers.

Good luck.

G

kraut-60 wrote:

"Also some very good points, I especially like the 10 current uniforms, but I'm not sure I could list all 10 but I'll give it a shot.

"1.) Tiger Cubs Blue uniform w/Tiger specific cap,neckerchief,slide,belt buckle.

"2.)Cub Scout-Wolf Blue uniform w/Wolf specific cap,neckerchief,slide,belt buckle.

"3.)Cub Scout-Bear Blue uniform w/Bear specific cap,neckerchief,slide,belt buckle.

"4.)Webelos Scout Tan/Olive uniform w/Webelos specific cap,neckerchief,slide,buckle

"5.)Cub Scout leader Tan/Olive uniform (Male/Female).

"6.)Cub Scout leader Yellow/Blue uniform (female only).

"7.)Boy Scout youth or adult member Tan/Olive uniform.

"8.)Venturers youth or adult member Green/Gray uniform.

"9.)Sea Scouts youth Blue/White/chambray-denim uniform(s).

"10.)Sea Scouts adult advisor Blue/White/Khaki uniform(s).

You approached it differently then I did. For me, if the SAME uniform is used by multiple programs, its one uniform. Adding something like a different neckerchief doesn't count. Also if a program has multiple uniforms, those count as separate uniforms.

My list:

1) Cub Scout blue uniform

2) Female cub scouter yellow & blue uniform

3) BSA Tan/khaki uniform

4) Venturing green/gray uniform

5) Sea Scout white crackerjack uniform

6) Sea Scout blue crackerjack uniform

7) Sea Scout chambray blue work uniform

8) Sea Scouter summer white uniform

9) Sea Scouter summer tan uniform

10) Sea Scouter dress navy blue uniform

When I went to woodbadge, we didn't play a game show, but that was in 1994.

I like the game show idea for a presentation.

How about Boy Scout Jeopardy

Alex, I'd like Uniform Standards for $200 please.

Trevorum asked:

"What are your top ten uniform mistakes?"

My top 10 list was more based on bad insignia usage on uniforms, but I think the mixing of non-uniform clothing items (blue jeans) would be a good one to mention.

My list:

1. World Crest (not being worn in the right position, or other patches worn in its place)

2. World Conservation Award (lot of confusion on where it goes)

3. Service Stars (wrong locations, worn without the backings)

4. left sleeve insignia (too much space between patches, trained strip worn without an office patch, arrowhead patches worn by non-commissioners)

5. Jamboree patches (jamboree unit numbers, office patches, patrol medallions worn 6 months after jamboree; jamboree patches worn by non-participants, etc)

6. CSPs (proliferation of CPS-shaped patches worn in place of the CSP)

7. Sashes (OA & MB sashes worn incorrectly or at inappropriate times)

8. "Its for the youth" (adults wearing stuff only youth should be wearing)

9. Equipment/Civilian (wearing stuff that's equipment decoration or only for civilian wear on the uniform)

10. Formal (wearing stuff only for formal occasions at regular events, such as medals, etc)

If I went beyond that, I guess I'd add:

11. Non-uniform clothing items (blue jeans, camo, etc)

12. "Knot knonsense" (problems with knots, knot devices, etc)