Neckties

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings Everyone,

I guess oldsm's question regarding BSA Neckties has already been answered... I dont want to hijack this thread, and without starting a new thread.. I have a simple question.

I think most topics here on this forum start of with. "I have heard..."

So......I have heard there is a (reasonable facsimile) spoof patch (position of responsibility or position three left sleeve) for the "Uniform Police".

I think it would be a worth a laugh to have one. Some of us get a kick out of throwing a rocking chair patrol or old goat patrol into our patch collection. I would like to add this UP patch, if it really exist.

Has anyone really seen this UP patch and where it can be purchased? Or is this another Scouting Urban Legend?

Cheers!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

In my old troop in the 70s, Scoutmasters wore the dark green necktie. I got mine when I became an assistant Scoutmaster in 1976. Some time after the new uniform was introduced in 1980, the tie was changed to brown. It seems to have been quietly dropped from BSA Supply in the last few years. I still have both ties- I wear the brown one on Scout Sunday. You can usually find either on eBay.

Ed

• 3 weeks later...

On the subject of ties.

1. Is it ever OK to wear one in a short sleeve shirt?

2. If I were to wear the Venturing Kelly green shirt, is there a tie that might be worn with it? Someone said that there used to be a brown "explorer" tie. Would that work and if so where could you find one?

I usually do not wear a tie while wearing a scout uniform, but I am curious.

Thank you.

Captain Ron,

The adult leader Uniform Inspection Form (#34284) states:

Neckwear. Olive leaders tie or Cub Scout or

Boy Scout bolo tie with tan shirt. Neckerchief, if

applicable, is worn over the turned-under collar

or under the open collar. Neckwear is not

required with the short-sleeve shirt worn open

at the neck.

http://www.scouting.org/forms/34284.pdf

This means that you MAY wear a necktie with the s/s shirt, but neckwear is not required with it. I'll let someone else address the venturing shirt (although I don't think it's permitted).

• 1 year later...

I have three such neckties and wear them occassionally. One tie is the dark green and is quite short. The other two are the tan ties and also quite dark. Given the dimensions of the ties (the green is narrower than the tan ties, I'm sure that would halp someone properly date them.

The problem with all three ties is that they're very short. Really too short to wear regularly.

I got all three from a thrift store. Check your local Goodwill.

"Egad - neckties! Every now and then, the supply division does something right and dropping the necktie was one of 'em. I don't think I know a single Scouter who wears a necktie anymore with the uniform - in my opinion it looks rather archaic (but then my kind abhors suits!) Of course there are the professionals ..."

Not anymore archaic than neckerchiefs or any sillier than cargo pants.

I have one and I like wearing it. I have an 18 1/2 neck and I'm 6'2 and mine isn't too short. Ties do come in different lengths, you need to look for a longer one.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have two green neckties and wear them when I am not wearing my WB necker. The WB beads do a nice job of being somewhat of a tie "clasp". Put the beads on, then the tie. Twist the beads once behind the tie and tuck the tie into the beads leaving the beads on top. Hold the tie nicely and display the beads over the tie.

No UP has said anything to me yet. I figure until someone with a full, correct uniform dresses me down, I have nothing to worry about. I am one of the few scouters who even wears a full uniform.

I do not wear the necktie for "formal" occasions only. It is worn most of the time.

Yes the old ties are quite short and I am 6'. If tied with a full Windsor, the bottom end is quite short, but being underneath it's not noticeable especially if held in place with the beads. A tie clasp would have to be worn too high to catch the bottom of the back end. If one uses the half Windsor it's not as big of a problem, but I don't think it looks as nice.

Stosh

And nice ties they were! Polyester, virtually indestructible!

Unfortunately the tan one gets dirty fairy easily if you're a sloppy eater at those Courts of Honor. I'm sitting here holding my blue one and my tan one in my hand. The blue one is about a half inch wider (3-3/4") than the tan one (3-1/4"). The blue one is about 31 years old and the tan about 27. I've worn them both with long sleeve and short sleeve shirts and actually find them more comfortable than a necker with my collar turned under.

Ah, nostalgia! What a wonderful thing!

TIES WE DON"T NEED NO STINKING TIES! LOL

I admit I'm a necker freak, even if most American neckers are too small. BUT I prefer a tie to no necker at all.

I know of one unit that apparently has a supply of ties for their leaders to wear. At the 1 ECOH I attended, and every district banquet they attend, all the leaders from the troop are wearing ties. It looks good, but not as great as a properly sized necker ;)

As for buying a tie, look on ebay, thrift stores, and antique stores. Also look at some of the long time distributorships. I knwo fo 1 distributorship that still has a supply of TC Coach patches from when TCs was a separate program. Also when one distributorship closed shop, I found a 1970s leather belt with international style buckle.

As for neckers, if what was posted on FB is correct, we'll be seeing the larger neckers in the near future. If so, then I will be buying new, larger Eagle and CS Leader neckers.

Long Live the Necker!