Uniform Exchange

I am Cubmaster in Flordia. I have two volunteers to head up a uniform exchange, but they do not know where to begin. We have many boys advancing yearly that leave behind socks, shorts, belts, shirts, hats, etc. that no longer fit. I want there to be a bank or exchange procedure that allows these to be passed down, but not without fair trade. Nor do I want it to be expensive.

Are there any suggestions?

Thanks,

Nick

Let me ask a few questions for clarification.

What exactly are you wanting to do? It sounds like you want to say that if someone needs a bigger size of say, shorts, you would like them to give you in exchange the pair that no longer fits. Is that correct?

If that is what you are looking to do then set the rules that way. If you want shorts, then give us your old shorts. If you want a shirt, give us your old shirt. And so forth.

Another option that I have heard used is to buy the old uniforms from the parents for say, $5.00. Then you turn around and sell the items to the new parents for $5.00. That way it is fair and it would allow new Scouts and their parents who are new to Scouts (Tiger Cubs, etc) to get a uniform, or at least a partial uniform, at a low cost. This works extremely well for the low income families. I don't know if that is a concern for your Pack or not.

Our troops/packs (I'm involved with 2 each) just gather used uniforms, and when someone needs one, they take it - no money involved. Most of the uniforms are small, so if the troop gets a surplus of small uniforms, they'll see if the Pack has some small Webelos. If a bounch of boys join at the same time, usually the family most in need (finances, several scouts) gets first choice of what's available. Right now, after giving out a shirt to one new boy and pants to the other last week, the Troop's stash is basically very small pants and hemmed shorts (cut down from long pants). We'll make an announcement at the next few meetings to ask if anyone has outgrown uniforms. A few times leaders have bought things on ebay cheap to add to the closet.

My troop handles used uniforms a little differently. We ask scouts to donate their outgrown/used-but-still-good uniforms to the Uniform Bank. There is no financial consideration for contributions -- think about being thrifty, kind, and helpful and doing a daily Good Turn.

When a scout needs a uniform part, he can check to see if the Bank has what he needs. If so, he purchases it for a small cost (I think it's about $7 for pants, $5 for a shirt, $1 for socks, etc.). The money raised this way goes into the general troop coffers to help fund equipment purchases.

We do not look at this as a money-making venture. Our committee opted to charge nominal prices (compared to the cost of new parts) because many people, including those of modest means, feel uncomfortable with the idea that they are "charity cases" and would rather pay at least something for what they get. This way, what they get is usable but not new parts for a "used" price.

The Bank Manager has the discretion to waive the cost entirely if the situation warrants. This system has worked very well for us.

I've seen it done a number of different ways. One way that hasn't been mentioned, and it seemed to work fairly well, was that everything was cleaned, folded neatly and in ziplock bags, and labeled with size and condition and price. In the pocket was a card with who it came from and if they wanted cash, or use the money as a donation to the troop, sort of like a consignment shop. That way all shorts weren't $5.00, some almost brand new ones in a popular size maybe $15.00. This way all the "good" stuff isn't grabbed, with the crummy almost worn out stuff sitting forever.

Usually socks, hats and belts, are just loose and no charge for them, if you are buying something.

Ebay often has "lots" if you are looking for 2 medium adult shirts, you may end up with 2 smalls, which of course are too small for anyone except the youngest scouts.

What I think is weird, but human nature, is that new scouts, buy new stuff, and only when they outgrow it are looking for used stuff in larger sizes, but then all you have is small stuff......

Our family has two "mediums", one "large" and one "2XX".

Hi I am new to scouts and we have started a pack in eastern kentucky and we are in need of shirts and belts,neck scarfs and slides for tiger cubs. if anyone knows were we could get these cheap please email me gingernone@hotmail.com we have 7 tiger cubs right now. we would appricate any help on this thank you.

Don't forget your Council Office/Scout Store as a resource - there is money available to provide uniforms to boys that can't afford them; just ask. The packs/troops in my area usually just pitch in to buy a uniform if it's needed, but we just started a new Pack (and there are a lot of startup costs - pack flag, American flag, PWD track), so when 2 boys asked for help getting uniforms, we asked council, and they provided $75 gift cards to the scout store to give to the families.